Search

Marrakech Morocco / Nov 11 - 21, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by UK Flyer 1
Can anyone advise if and how it is possible to secure a sensible rate at the Sofitel?
If it is busy, no. If it is not busy, the very best way is to do a walk up and haggle at the front desk. I was offered the Presidential Suite for around €400 once. It shouldn't be busy at all in December unless there is a big wedding or something.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

just an update:
My wife are booked on US Airways (Upgraded to Envoy) from PHX to Charlotte > Charlotte to UK.
Stay in Intercontinental (on points) and then head out to Morrocco on easyjet the next day.
We booked a great rate for 9 days at the Sofitel Lounge and Spa in Morrocco.
Then headed back to UK on easyjet for a day and the follow the same route home using US Airways.

Thanks again for all of the info.

I will update when we return.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Morocco Return

Trip was great!

Climate = Arizona
Culture = French, Islamic, Jewish, Russian, etc...
Food = Lamb, couscous and everything else that you would want
Language = French, Arabic, limited english (google translator app was great to have)
cell phones = used unlocked quad band cell phones (great for shopping separately, taxi, etc...), INWI (sp?) was the sim card provider we used ($22)
Car Service = Sun Transfers (Phone UK:+44 (0)203 1673870 / Phone Spain:+34 931816896 / Phone USA:+1-(347)-352-8137 / [email protected])
$50 each way to and from hotel to airport (worth it, alot of luggage)
We contracted Hamoud" our original driver to take us around all week as a guide for about $250 plus tip. (he drove us to dinner, convention, guided tours to the mountains, introduced us to local shopkeepers hidden in medina, etc...he was great. well worth the $. He spoke 5 languages as well...including English perfectly)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Glad to hear it went well. How was the Sofitel?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Flights to Morocco

US Airways
PHX>CLT>LGW

Well worth the upgrade to 1st class using points (food, drinks, movies, space)
Flew on the older 300's so no new seats
Better this way as we were able to sit next to each other and talk
Bad for me as i am 6'2 and was not able to stretch out completely for the red eye flight

LGW>RAK (Marrakeh, Morocco)
Easy Jet .... nothing is EASY about them.
I paid for an extra bag to check in online... little did i know that this was just for the luxury of having an extra bag to check. You are allotted a TOTAL of 20 kilos of weight no matter how many bags you have. For my 3rd extra bag (20 kilos) i paid $300...about $15 for every kilo over the the total limit allowed.
The service attendant read the very fine detailed print that explained all of this with a smile.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!
Seats were terrible (my knees were in my throat)
charge for everything, everything...except the bathroom (1) and water from tap (in bathroom).
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Lounges

PHX = basic lounge, muffins, cookies, coffee
note - was hassled about bringing in a breakfast muffin. I understand, but she was very awkward about mentioning it to me several times. I took it outside, inhaled it and walked back in.

CLT = Nice, 3x the size of PHX. Quiet room for about 50 ppl, 2 self serve snack and drink areas, internet, business office, bar and they even announced when my flight was boarding (very helpful)

LGW = No arrivals lounge. Bummer since we had 4 hours to kill between flights.
But... I have a great secret to share with you. The sofitel hotel (which is attached) has a FULL service lounge. (free with diners club card or $30)
very, very, very cool:
gym
showers
internet, printer
espresso, cappuccino, americano, etc...
juice, milk, bottled water, bottled sodas
toast, crackers, butter, jam, peanut butter, nutella
yogurt
meat
vegetables
fruit
sofas, chairs, fireplace, tv
etc...

Can you tell i loved it!? Anyways, it was well worth the shower alone. The whole area is smaller than you would think, but it was done in an efficient European style.

RAK (Marrakesh, Morocco)
no lounge, but the airport is nice. Boutique style with allot of flavor.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by WNelson
Trip was great!

Climate = Arizona
Culture = French, Islamic, Jewish, Russian, etc...
Food = Lamb, couscous and everything else that you would want
Language = French, Arabic, limited english (google translator app was great to have)
cell phones = used unlocked quad band cell phones (great for shopping separately, taxi, etc...), INWI (sp?) was the sim card provider we used ($22)
Car Service = Sun Transfers (Phone UK:+44 (0)203 1673870 / Phone Spain:+34 931816896 / Phone USA:+1-(347)-352-8137 / [email protected])
$50 each way to and from hotel to airport (worth it, alot of luggage)
We contracted Hamoud" our original driver to take us around all week as a guide for about $250 plus tip. (he drove us to dinner, convention, guided tours to the mountains, introduced us to local shopkeepers hidden in medina, etc...he was great. well worth the $. He spoke 5 languages as well...including English perfectly)

So glad you had a great time! I feel as if all of us who love Morocco should act as informal ambassadors for the country. It has so much to offer tourists.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Sofitel - Lounge and Spa in Marrakesh

Very Very cool.

I travel allot and I am pretty particular.

We arrived and they had our room ready.
We booked 6 weeks in advance and saved 50% on the Suite package for a 7 day stay

Bellman grabbed our luggage and delivered to room, while the front desk clerk spoke with us and had Moroccan tea served to us while were waiting (addicted now).

Flowers, incense, tobacco, mint aromas everywhere.

The hotel has 2 wings (lounge/spa and hotel). we stayed in the lounge and spa side. Very nice. Newish (flat screen tvs, radios w iphone connection, nespresso coffee machine, etc..)

Room 373. 2 room suite with a separate bathroom and shower room. 2 patios (one connected to bedroom and the other to the front room. Sitting room was great for eating, lounging, internet at the desk...space away from sleeping wife so not to wake her up. Bath room had loofah, shower mitt (sp?), L'Occitane soaps/shampoo and separate conditioner products (my wife says that this is VERY important). Also, it was a BATH with a removable shower head. Good pressure, nice hot water and clean every day.

Restaurants:
pool cafe was the best for quick, not too expensive lunch, breakfast
buffet restaurant for breakfast was beautiful, but we do not like buffet (and it was $$$)
Fine dining restaurant was great. $100 for dinner for 2. (apps, full bottle of wine, entree, dessert)

Spa:
awesome
indoor pool heated to 85 degrees (2 lane lap pool size)
gym was state of the art with a teak-wood patio for yoga (but no free weights over 20 lbs) Used their cable machines for heavy lifting.

Pool: (2)
Main pool was beautiful. not heated. I had heard that there was not great service, but i figured out that there really was not pool service. It was actually the staff from the pool restaurant that served you at poolside if you wanted. This was an easy fix for me. (gave the waiter a tip before hand and asked him/her to come around every 20 min) It was great. Beers were expensive poolside, but convenience is when you do not bring it yourself.
hint: go to the supermarket and buy the alchohol in the fridge. replace it after you drink it. Easy fix.

Adult pool (5 steps away from main pool). Great! Found about the heated OUTSIDE pool halfway through the stay. 85 degrees. are you kidding me? I was commenting to myself that the older adults seemed to glide into the pool as if their central nervous system was shut off. So brave, i thought...until i dipped my toe in. Wonderful to just hang out in water that was heated.

ATM:
easy to get $ and exchange rate was on par

NightClub:
there was one right on property. Very cool and it appeared to be very happening.

Conclusion:
I was very impressed with the hotel, staff and amenities. I would definitely return.

Last edited by WNelson; Nov 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:03 am

Any recommendations for driver/tour guide for a weekend stay? Hamoud sounds great. Contact info and approximate rates would be appreciated. We'll probably stay at a Riad inside the medina but near the wall. Any recommendations for a January visit (vs. other times of the year)?

Šukran bezaf!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.