Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at JNB/storing baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Connecting at JNB/storing baggage

Two questions:

1. Is the baggage storage operation still open at JNB?

2. I'm flying CPT-JNB-VFA (Vic Falls). Any way to short-check some luggage so I can pick it up and store it at JNB (before continuing on with my carry-on to VFA)?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yes, there is a left-luggage facility on the upper level of the underground parkade (by International arrivals) which is open 24/7. My notes show cost about R50/day and phone 011-3902318.

As for short-checking, that depends upon the airline that you are flying. Many won't do it any more due to ticketing abuse of the fare rules.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Do you know for SAA specifically?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:12 pm

I'm flying on LH FRA to JNB, then depart SA JNB to HKG two days later, however on the same ticket. Approx 50 hours.

I was told by SA that they will check it through to HKG, but does anyone know if this is true? I never heard of checking bags through if the connection is over 24 hours.

Is the luggage storage at JNB safe if I just check the bags to JNB and recheck for the last flight?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
I'm flying on LH FRA to JNB, then depart SA JNB to HKG two days later, however on the same ticket. Approx 50 hours.

I was told by SA that they will check it through to HKG, but does anyone know if this is true? I never heard of checking bags through if the connection is over 24 hours.

Is the luggage storage at JNB safe if I just check the bags to JNB and recheck for the last flight?
It's much safer to put it in luggage storage rather than having it checked through, too many things happen with connecting luggage in JNB...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.