recommendations for trip / safari to southern / South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recommendations for trip / safari to southern / South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. A bit sketchy on the details, but otherwise a pretty accurate description of what the experience is like. The If You Go section contains sensible advice, and only a few errors (there are not even two dozen camps in Kruger. Include the private lodges and they number about 30). I highly doubt Mr. Frugal saw an Eastern Green Mamba. If he did, it would be a Kruger first. That leopard may well have been in a leafless tree, and the tree may even have been dead, but that does not make it a deadwood.

Johan.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Thanks. A bit sketchy on the details, but otherwise a pretty accurate description of what the experience is like. The If You Go section contains sensible advice, and only a few errors (there are not even two dozen camps in Kruger. Include the private lodges and they number about 30). I highly doubt Mr. Frugal saw an Eastern Green Mamba. If he did, it would be a Kruger first. That leopard may well have been in a leafless tree, and the tree may even have been dead, but that does not make it a deadwood.

Johan.
Picky, picky.

But what about this tidbit: "220.20 rand (about $11 at 10.5 rand to the dollar) will net you a guide." I guess math isn't a NY Times writer's, or editor's, strong suit.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:00 pm

planning trip to South Africa

I have booked our flights for late January from JFK to JNB to VFA. We have a total of 5 nights in the VFA area. I was thinking of spending 3 nights in Chobe and 2 at the falls. Does anyone have recommendations for safari lodges in Chobe? Budget for the safari is not more than $500 p.p. per night. Also, what would you recommend for the Falls? I'm hoping to get something for a lot less money there. We will then fly to Cape Town. We have planned for 5 nights in Cape Town, 2 or 3 in the winelands, 3 for the Garden Route. I'm looking for recommendations for accommodations in winelands and along the garden route. Also, what do you think of Kwandwe or Shamwari for the last couple of nights? Is this a worthwhile safari, or are we wasting our time here in this area. Our tickets for the return flights are CPT-JNB-JFK.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by suenam
I have booked our flights for late January from JFK to JNB to VFA. We have a total of 5 nights in the VFA area. I was thinking of spending 3 nights in Chobe and 2 at the falls. Does anyone have recommendations for safari lodges in Chobe? Budget for the safari is not more than $500 p.p. per night. Also, what would you recommend for the Falls? I'm hoping to get something for a lot less money there. We will then fly to Cape Town. We have planned for 5 nights in Cape Town, 2 or 3 in the winelands, 3 for the Garden Route. I'm looking for recommendations for accommodations in winelands and along the garden route. Also, what do you think of Kwandwe or Shamwari for the last couple of nights? Is this a worthwhile safari, or are we wasting our time here in this area. Our tickets for the return flights are CPT-JNB-JFK.
A very good backpacker hostel, with private rooms is Jollyboys in Livingstone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.