Wiki Posts
Search

recommendations for trip / safari to southern / South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by allanfan
How many different lodges did you stay for the week? Does it make sense to change lodge frequently or better to stay at the same place?
We just came back from Kruger, quick 10 day trip on the $550 DCA-JNB AC/SA airfare deal. Its incredibly easy to do on your own, and a safari would be a waste of money.

Arrive JNB 8am - rented car - better roads than in north america - and in less than 4 hours, we were at Pestana Lodge just outside Melalane gate to relax for first night, before going into the park the next day.

Booked 1 night at Skukuza in a great fixed tent ($40) and two nights at Satara cottage ($90).... Spent the next 3 days driving around - extremely easy, and the fact you are on your own schedule cant be beat.

Took an prganized AM game drive from Satara ($20) and saw what we were missing (lions+leopard)

Left Satara at 8am, got back to JNB airport at 2pm.

While Kruger didnt even come close to my visits in Etosha, Chobe and Serengeti - it is an easy and very inexpensive alternative, especially for a first time Africa visitor.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allanfan
How many different lodges did you stay for the week? Does it make sense to change lodge frequently or better to stay at the same place?
You definitely want to move around a bit to see everything if you're staying at the gov't lodges in Kruger. There is no logical reason to "backtrack" from one area to another, and it's pleasant to experience different camp set-ups. We went from south to north in June. Every part had something different to offer.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Why did you like Etosha more? I thought Kruger had much more to offer.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
While Kruger didnt even come close to my visits in Etosha, Chobe and Serengeti - it is an easy and very inexpensive alternative, especially for a first time Africa visitor.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Why did you like Etosha more? I thought Kruger had much more to offer.
The quantity of wildlife for sure in the park. The campsite had nighttime viewing balcony of a water hole, where you could just see a parade of animals coming in to drink after dark.

Kruger is just 'easier' to get to.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The quantity of wildlife for sure in the park.
The wildlife density (large mammal biomass per hectare) in Kruger is roughly 10 times higher than in Etosha, although that obviously varies from species to species.

It may at times be easier to see animals in Etosha, e.g. at the end of the dry season when they congegrate at waterholes. Etosha is also more open (at least in the sections tourists have access to), which also helps. On the other hand, it is quite possible to drive right through Etosha from west to east, including the areas closed to tourists, and not see more than one elephant or so.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reason: sp
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The wildlife density (large mammal biomass per hectare) in Kruger is roughly 10 times higher than in Etosha, although that obviously varies from species to species.

It may at times be easier to see animals in Etosha, e.g. at the end of the dry season when they congegrate at waterholes. Etosha is also more open (at least in the sections tourists have access to), which also helps. On the other hand, it is quite possible to drive right through Etosha from west to east, including the areas closed to tourists, and not see more than one elephant or so.

Johan
Interesting. I'm headed back to South Africa in November (award tickets to JNB), and I was considering doing Namibia and, in partcular, Etosha. BA (Comair) flies to Windhoek, but since they don't seem to load any award seats (it would be a steal in Avios at 4500 miles each way), I was leaning to doing Cape Town and the Garden Route (I've never been to either). Too soon, perhaps, to return to Kruger.

So if you like Kruger, is it worth the effort (and money) to get to Etosha?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:41 am

need to check also the right season time ! I plan to go in south africa too in the mid-year, but before, I'm adjusting my booking time with the season calendar (I use sunpreview.com website for that).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:51 am

Short & sweet.

You want to see the Big 5 quickly and up close.......Sabi Sands. Plenty of one on one with Leopards, Rhino's, etc. Not many, but you will see them and "up close".

You want to take a chance to see Rhino/Leopard, almost guaranteed the other 3 and many, many more. See 10's of thousand of wilde, zebra, etc. Go Tz and then go Kenya. (did both 15 years apart) and then Sabi to see Rhino which we only saw 1 in Kenya in 1990.

So - SA - All big 5 but not many and not many of other animals.
Tz & Kenya - Thousands of different animals, all at one time (the migration - did it both times)

So my suggestion: Do a Tz vacation first and see the masses. Then Sabi and see them up close.

Just MHO.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Best Safari area at Christmas time?

This is the only time of year we can all get away as a family, but from what I've read on this thread, it may not be the best time of year. Any suggestions for us? First time to Africa.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2.3MM
I would recommend "Elephant Plains" safari lodge in Kruger for a great experience. It is frequented by many South Africans for its value and understated but classy feel. My wife and I went there for four days on our honeymoon and it was top quality all the way around. If you want a good value, with quality but not opulence, and great up close game viewing, Elephant Plains is a great choice. Many of the other people staying were from Capetown and other areas south of there and said they come once a year they love it so much. Another awesome place we stayed while transiting toward Mozambique was a lodge in the mountains called "Blue Mountain Lodge" in Kiepersol. What a fabulous place.....it was like being transported back in time. The service by "colonel" was equal to 5 star service at a fine European restaurant.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhq100
I would recommend "Elephant Plains" safari lodge in Kruger for a great experience. It is frequented by many South Africans for its value and understated but classy feel. My wife and I went there for four days on our honeymoon and it was top quality all the way around. If you want a good value, with quality but not opulence, and great up close game viewing, Elephant Plains is a great choice. Many of the other people staying were from Capetown and other areas south of there and said they come once a year they love it so much. Another awesome place we stayed while transiting toward Mozambique was a lodge in the mountains called "Blue Mountain Lodge" in Kiepersol. What a fabulous place.....it was like being transported back in time. The service by "colonel" was equal to 5 star service at a fine European restaurant.
Just keep in mind that any "value" trip to Kruger means staying in the official national park camps, which offer basic (but comfortable) accomodations and simple restaurants (or, a better choice, a BBQ pit to prepare your own braai). These are a fraction of the cost of the private lodges and, while you'll probably get some disagreement on this, offer equal game viewing. Basically, you go to the private lodges to be pampered, not to see more animals.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Basically, you go to the private lodges to be pampered, not to see more animals.
Exactly. The average private lodge will take you up close to the same two, four or seven lions on just about every game drive. Good chance they will be fast asleep too. Same with the local rhino, elephant herd, buffalo, etc.

A properly planned trip to Kruger itself will take you through a variety of stunning landscapes and afford you the opportunity to spot and see a great diversity of species (far more than at any private lodge) and in far greater numbers too. I've chalked up over 200 lions on a Kruger trip. The other week I got 23, which is not a particularly high number, but also buffalo way beyond counting, as well as plenty of elephant, decidedly rare antelope species such as eland, tsessebe and Lichtenstein's hartebees, and just about everything else. All this in March at the end of an exceptional rainy season, when the grass was high and the bush thick and lush.

Johan
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:28 pm

I'm not fully aligned with Johan Rebel. There are locations/times when lodge has no advantage. In Kruger/Chobe, most National Parks, everyone is suppose to stay on the road. In Timbavati, Sabi sabi, thornybush, you'll be in private lodges. These guides will be able to leave the roadway and track the big 5. As a photographer, that makes all of the difference in the world.

The trick is finding reasonable price lodges. I have friends in SA that procure an entire (self cater) lodges for the week. This gets us great lodging in permanent buidlings, nice lodge, great guides. Yes, on a self cater, my SA friends must plan for meals, but we eat nice quality and the bottom line is pricing traveling this way makes it a smart choice to get into private reserves around Kruger.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buddy Eleazer
In Kruger/Chobe, most National Parks, everyone is suppose to stay on the road.
Actually, in the concession areas within the Kruger NP, as well as in the Makuleke CNP (which is a part of the KNP for environmental management purposes), off-roading is allowed, although the rules are stricter. If adhered to, that prevents the wholesale evironmental damage on sees in the contiguous private reserves.

Self-catering lodges are indeed an option, but there are not many of them, and they are only value for money if the group is sufficiently large.

Johan
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta DM 2MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by SafariCraig
I have traveled in late November/early December several times and I really like it. There are simply not that many tourists around and the camps are usually pretty empty. Very few Americans travel between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have been to Addo and I have been the Sabi Sands many times. There are about twenty properties in the Sabi Sands and price and service vary on a huge scale. In my opinion the Sabi Sands offers the best general big five animal viewing in Southern Africa and especially the lodges on permanent rivers.

I suggest going on safari or to Victoria Falls first to avoid unnecessary overnights in Johannesburg or early departure/late arrival on safari if you try the MQP-LVI flight.

Day 1 Land JNB. Overnight.
Day 2,3,4,5 Safari in the Sabi Sands. Stay four nights if the lodge you use has stay3pay3 prices.
Day 6,7,8,9 Cape Town/Wine Country
Day 10,11 Victoria Falls.

Hope this helps. Give a budget and I can give you specific advice. I have been following the Bremerton stories in the news. My kids went to school there when I was in the Navy!

Craig Beal owner Travel Beyond

Thanks for all of the valuable information Craig...I am currently planning a similar itinerary as you list above. Considering one of the Singita properties as well as Ulusaba. Any thoughts? Also curious how you'd recommend getting from JNB to Sabi Sands to Cape Town to Victoria Falls?

Thanks again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.