Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:54 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Since you are starting from Durban, why not go on safari in KwaZulu-Natal?

Hluhluwe-iMfolozi, Phinda, Mkuze Falls, Tembe, iSimangaliso all come to mind, and there are more.

Johan
This is a good alternative. Hluhluwe-Umfolozi is probably the best known of these with the Big 5 and white rhino. It is a lot smaller than Kruger but with only a couple of days I'm sure you would have more than enough to see if you want to save the hassle of getting up to Kruger.

If you want something on the beach in Durban, I'd recommend the town of Umhlanga Rocks. The Oyster Box and Beverley Hills are both very nice hotels.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice in here... To sum up where I am now, things have changed following need to be in places for work while out there (no such thing as a proper holiday anymore ):

Fly to CPT; stay 4 days at Hilton Cape Town; drive to Hermanus; stay 2 days; drive to CPT; fly to JNB; stay one night in JNB; drive to Krueger; stay 4 nights.

We are all booked for accomodation other than Safari. What are thoughts on Simbambilli? Got a good rate on that one....
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
We are all booked for accomodation other than Safari. What are thoughts on Simbambilli? Got a good rate on that one....
With safari bookings in SA down 20 - 30 % this year (there are exceptions, I know one large operator where occupancy and revenue have increased), it should not be too difficult to find good deals. I know of two lodges that are closing, as well as several hotels in Johannesburg, but those that are still open should compete keenly for your business.

I cannot comment on Simbambili from personal experience. It is located in the Sabi-Sands, which has never been one of my favorites, but opinions differ. What distinguishes the lodges in the Sabi-Sands from each other, apart from the varying degrees of luxury (which guests may or may not care about), is the size and quality of their traversing area. Simbambili has a very narrow stirp of land extending along the reserve fenceline in a southwesterly direction from Gowrie gate. Being on a fence is far from ideal, and the property is small, but I'm sure they share traversing with their neighbors, most likely Elephant Plains and Chitwa Chitwa.

Personally, I would go for a larger property with a lot of river frontage, which in the Sabi-Sands would limit your choices to Mala Mala, Singita, Londolozi and Lion Sands. Some of these may offer good deals, it is worth checking.

Johan
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Time for an Update

Cape Town: 5 Nights - We decided to book Four Rosmead. I think the cottage is the right choice for the first stop on our honeymoon, although I wish there were a few more pictures available. The staff quickly responded to questions via email, and because we are staying during the low season, we snagged a free night. We will probably be exhausted after JFK-LHR-CPT but even with a morning arrival we need to try and stay awake for the first day. Ideas?

Hluhluwe-Umfolozi: 1-2 Nights - I still think we would kick ourselves without a short safari, although 1 night might be sufficient. We could fly into DUR and transfer straight to the reserve, which is a plus. Next step, research operators. Suggestions welcome!

Durban: 4-5 Nights
- Head down from the reserve and into the city for rest and relaxation. After reading a few more guidebooks and researching our options, I've decided on two choices. With an afternoon departure out of DUR, we should be good to go no matter which property we select.

A) It seems luxury hotel/B&B properties in Durban are not so easy to come by. I also have some lingering questions about safety in the city. Not sure it's that big of a deal, but why even have it in the back of your mind on your honeymoon. That being said, I am not giving up, and something tells me I won't be disappointed being in the city. The Concierge seems to be clean, detail oriented and centrally located. The proximity to the beach is great.

B) A half hour or so away from Durban, Umhlanga Rocks, a swanky suburb with excellent beach area offers some upscale elegance. Teremok Marine actually looks awesome (free bikes!) and is across the street from the beach. I'm not worried about the distance from Durban, since we will be in the area at least 4 nights and can easily take day trips into Durban or arrange a car hire. Our focus at this point will be beach beach beach.

Thanks johan rebel and BA304 for your help. Thoughts on the updated itinerary appreciated!

-------------------------------------------

I have also reviewed the following helpful threads
1st Time Trip South Africa
Cape Town Advice - 6 days Okay
9 Days CPT 8 Days CPT Plus 1 Day JNB

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jan 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm Reason: SEE THE UPDATED POST BELOW
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:36 pm
Ambassador

Hi again, anc-ord772

OK, I used to live in Umhlanga Rocks so I'm biased but I would definitely go with Teremok Marine. It doesn't matter that it's half an hour out of the city - I can't really think of a reason to go into the city nowadays. Umhlanga has everything you need for a holiday.

Teremok Marine is on a fairly quiet stretch of the beach. It's about a 15 minute walk from the swimming beaches/lighthouse but it's a very nice area.

I really wouldn't recommend Durban itself. Parts are positively Lagos-esque and it feels a bit seedy everywhere. The beach front has been rebuilt over the past few years but it's not a pleasant place to be.

Last edited by BA304; Sep 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC & others
Love reading this thread and looking forward to my next visit.

Just a mention, when driving, to look out very carefully and obey speed limits, especially 60km on the outskirts of towns. Speed traps are very commonplace with on the spot fines.

Have a terrific time!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
I am planning a trip to South Africa in March or April 2012, my very first time visiting the African continent.

I'm confused as to whether travel/health insurance is required upon entering or not. I've read-through the State Travel website, but it doesn't really say.

Does anyone know what kind of insurance is "required" upon entering South Africa?

Thanks for any information or advice.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by seattletravelguy
I am planning a trip to South Africa in March or April 2012, my very first time visiting the African continent.

I'm confused as to whether travel/health insurance is required upon entering or not. I've read-through the State Travel website, but it doesn't really say.

Does anyone know what kind of insurance is "required" upon entering South Africa?

Thanks for any information or advice.
None, as far as I am aware. Not that being uninsured would be a wise option, but I am sure you know that. If anything happens, you need to go to a private hospital (state hospitals are awful, although the level of medical care is ok). Medical costs in South Africa are significantly lower than in North America (even in private hospitals).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm doing a similar trip, but in June. I think that tilts the analysis more in favor of Sabi Sands (supposed to be excellent viewing, albeit chilly) and a little away from Capetown.

Right now I am thinking

LAX-CPT
Capetown 3 nights
Safari in Sabi Sands 4 nights
Livingston Falls 2 nights
JNB 1 night
Then two weeks in Europe!

I have those dates booked on BA F. My questions are:

Am I right that Capetown in June is somewhat chilly?
Any thoughts on choosing between Lion Sands Ivory Lodge (where I"m leaning towards due to a great trip by a friend), Londolozi, Singita (and perhaps Mala Mala). I rate quality of safari as number 1, rooms number 2, and food last.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:30 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm doing a similar trip, but in June. I think that tilts the analysis more in favor of Sabi Sands (supposed to be excellent viewing, albeit chilly) and a little away from Capetown.

Right now I am thinking

LAX-CPT
Capetown 3 nights
Safari in Sabi Sands 4 nights
Livingston Falls 2 nights
JNB 1 night
Then two weeks in Europe!

I have those dates booked on BA F. My questions are:

Am I right that Capetown in June is somewhat chilly?
Any thoughts on choosing between Lion Sands Ivory Lodge (where I"m leaning towards due to a great trip by a friend), Londolozi, Singita (and perhaps Mala Mala). I rate quality of safari as number 1, rooms number 2, and food last.

Thanks in advance!
Sabi Sands being 'a little away from Cape Town' is probably a bit of an understatement. CPT/JNB is a 2 hour flight and from JNB its another hour (I think, never flown it) to Kruger (or whatever airport or -field you would fly into).

'Chilly' in Cape Town is relative. June is winter, so you may well have some rain (but it can be gloriously sunny as well). Daytime temperature possibly in the highusg teens, nighttime in the lowish teens or a bit less. So not all that chilly if you are used to winter in some parts of Europe, but as a 'beachfan' and flying in from LAX, yes it could well be considered a bit chilly
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Sabi Sands being 'a little away from Cape Town' is probably a bit of an understatement. CPT/JNB is a 2 hour flight and from JNB its another hour (I think, never flown it) to Kruger (or whatever airport or -field you would fly into).

'Chilly' in Cape Town is relative. June is winter, so you may well have some rain (but it can be gloriously sunny as well). Daytime temperature possibly in the highusg teens, nighttime in the lowish teens or a bit less. So not all that chilly if you are used to winter in some parts of Europe, but as a 'beachfan' and flying in from LAX, yes it could well be considered a bit chilly
Hi;

Thanks for the tip!

As far as "a little away", I meant that the analysis tilts a little away from Capetown in terms of desirability because it is chilly. Would have liked a 4th night in Capetown but I would need to advance my arrival since I think the non-stop Nelspruit to Livingston runs only a few times a week.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Ok. My trip is now but 16 days away. Very excited! We are spending 4 days in Cape Town and planning on doing a tour of peninsula, city tour with table mountain and robben island as well as a township tour. Is there anything we are missing? That is 3 of our 4 days accounted for....
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:08 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Ok. My trip is now but 16 days away. Very excited! We are spending 4 days in Cape Town and planning on doing a tour of peninsula, city tour with table mountain and robben island as well as a township tour. Is there anything we are missing? That is 3 of our 4 days accounted for....
Dont forget to take a trip to Stellenbosch and Franschoek and visit some of the wine estates. Have lunch at one of them and taste some of the wines.
Do Table Mountain at the first available opportunity. There is always a chance that the cable car does not run due to too much wind or other weather related issues.
Have you booked Robben Island? The ferry service has limited capacity and it can be difficult to get a seat (although it is not realy 'in season' yet, so it may be OK).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thijsseh
from JNB its another hour (I think, never flown it) to Kruger (or whatever airport or -field you would fly into).
Sabi Sands has its own tarred airstrip, you fly in direct with Federal Air on a so-called "scheduled charter". The airline's fleet is a rather mixed bag, but chances are the flight will be operated by a Cessna Caravan, possibly a Beech 1900C or, if you are lucky, a PC12. The latter is faster and pressurized, so flies higher. FedAir serves a bunch of other airstrips as well as Skukuza, there may therefore a number of stops en route, making it hard to predict total travel time.

Johan
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Keeps coming together. About 6 months left to go.

Cape Town: 6 Nights - Staying at Four Rosmead. Arrive Thursday at 8AM and depart for Durban at 10AM the next Wednesday. Catching a Mango flight to DUR. I don't think we will have much luggage and the price was great at R1366 ($162) for two. Anything I should know about Mango and LCC flying in SA?

Durban: 1 Night - Staying overnight at Teremok Marine before heading out early the next morning to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi.

Hluhluwe-Umfolozi: 1 Night - Alright, so we have a few options. We recognize that we are looking for a fun experience and a touristy operator will be ok this time. I would appreciate your thoughts on the following operators:
  1. Shaka Tours - Hluhluwe Game Reserve & Zulu Village Experience - This seems to be a very commercial operator, but the one recommended by Teremok.

2. Ubizane Wildlife Reserve - Zululand Tree Lodge - A bit expensive, but looks really nice. Plus a fun experience to stay in a tree.

3. Hluhluwe Game Reserve - Hilltop Resort - Seems to be a nice facility, but I am not sure if any games drives are included in the stay, or if the price is only for accommodations.

Durban: 3 Nights - Back to Teremok Marine for a few days. We depart on SAA (DUR-JNB) at 14:20 40, what time should we head to the airport? With 20+ hours of flying ahead we have no interest in rushing. Also, our scheduled arrival into JNB is 15:50 with our international departure at 19:25. I don't want anything to keep us from our flights, BUT there are 2 later flights we can catch and still make our connection if something goes FUBAR. That's not overkill right?

Thanks johan rebel and BA304 for your help. Thoughts on the updated itinerary appreciated!

-------------------------------------------

I have also reviewed the following helpful threads
1st Time Trip South Africa
Cape Town Advice - 6 days Okay
9 Days CPT 8 Days CPT Plus 1 Day JNB

Last edited by anc-ord772; Feb 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.