Search

South Africa Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
South Africa Itinerary

Hi guys,

Got my 2-4-1 and looking on using for flights to SA (never been). There seem to be a huge number of options with stop overs in all cities in SA almost... We have two weeks (well flights are availble for 13 days trip) and want to spend 4 days or so in CPT (and nearby), 2 days or so in JNB, 4 days or so on Safai and then have a couple of other days for travelling/other places.

My question is does it make sense to book the flights to JNB, book a 4/5 day stopover in CPT, then on the way back book a couple of nights stopover in Port Elizabeth before flying back from JNB?

Itinerary would be something like this:

Day 1: Fly to LHR to CPT
Day 5: Fly to JNB
Day 7: Head to safari
Day 11: Fly to PLZ
Day 13: Fly PLZ to JNB to LHR

Looking at it like that makes me think to remove PLZ completely

Thoughts?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:02 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Your 2-4-1 voucher will only be good for the direct long-haul flights in and out of CPT and JNB. All the other local connecting flights you see are franchise flights, so cannot be used with the 2-4-1 voucher. However, they tend to be quite inexpensive, so you can just pay cash for those on a separate booking.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
You're right. There are so many opportunities, only limited by the time you have available.

You say 'safari'. Does that mean the Kruger? If so, your itinerary looks quite good, though if it were me (which it's not ,) I'd probably allow more safari time. Don't forget to consider anti-malaria medication if visiting in the SA summer.

Have you a reason to visit PLZ? If so, keep it in. Close by (70 km, I think) is the Addo Elephant Park - http://www.addoelephant.com/parks/addo/ - nowhere near as large as the Kruger, but accessible and malaria-free, and they have the Big Five.

If you don't have a reason to visit PLZ, stay longer in Western Cape. It's not just Cape Town, great though that is, there's much more to do including access to the winelands.

I can't wait to get back!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Two days in JNB? Why?

Only 4 days in the Cape Province? Why? You can easily spend a week there if not more.

Furthermore, consider Namibia and Victoria Falls and don't do a safari for more than 3 days in KNP. It is a lot of driving over asphalt roads and not too much wildlife compared to other places in Africa. Lots of wildebeest, elephants and giraffes.

I believe you can use your 241 on Comair flights. You can use a GUF2 and so on. If the 241 wont work you can book 1 of the two on redemptions and you only have to pay for the other one.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gms
All the other local connecting flights you see are franchise flights, so cannot be used with the 2-4-1 voucher. However, they tend to be quite inexpensive, so you can just pay cash for those on a separate booking.
If you call up BA and book it directly over the phone with them they can put all of your flights together on one booking, which really makes it easier! My dad had his JER-LGW flights in the same booking as his BD LHR-BEY flights which he took a few days ago.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Two days in JNB? Why?

<snip> and don't do a safari for more than 3 days in KNP. It is a lot of driving over asphalt roads and not too much wildlife compared to other places in Africa. Lots of wildebeest, elephants and giraffes. <Snip>.
Don't believe Henky, sounds like his eyesight let him down . I spend 80% in KNP on gravel roads and see plenty of cats, rhinos, vultures, zebra and the rest. I'd not dream of spending less than a week though and a first time SA visitor would be better on a guided safari anyhow.

Tbh. I'd recommend driving from Cape Town to PLZ, some wonderful places along the coastline. Definitely suggest longer in Cape Town and locale, less in JNB area. If not Addo (which is self-drive like KNP), there are several reasonable Safari places in the Eastern Cape which are catered and guided. Not the Wilds of Kruger or Tanzania but very decent introductions for first-time visitors.
Top tip. Don't rush around trying to 'do' everything.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefish
Don't believe Henky, sounds like his eyesight let him down . I spend 80% in KNP on gravel roads and see plenty of cats, rhinos, vultures, zebra and the rest. I'd not dream of spending less than a week though and a first time SA visitor would be better on a guided safari anyhow.
Where and when were you in KNP? I have been 3 times (once in March, once in January and once in December) and always around the Phalaborwa/Nelspruit area. I can honestly say that the driving vs spotting ratio is much larger than in Kenya or Tanzania but maybe I was just unlucky. I was in Kenya and Tanzania during the Great Migration so that may have tainted my perspective.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a lot of driving over asphalt roads and not too much wildlife compared to other places in Africa.
There is plenty of game, if you know where to look, or let an expert do the looking for you. Tar roads can be avoided very easily, although one should not necessarily always do so. Tar roads are much liked by wildlife for a variety of reasons.

Johan
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
There is plenty of game, if you know where to look, or let an expert do the looking for you.
Although I bow to your expertise in this matter I/we had guides on all occasions. As I said: maybe the wrong time or maybe spoiled by the GM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
6th trip (maybe 7th) coming up in October. All seasons, including getting cut-off at Talamati by floodwaters this January.
Kruger does run hot & cold that's part of the charm, I suppose. When its good it is very very good; but it doesn't do migration and that scale of game concentration.

All I know is we tootle out of camp, first light, and get back in some 8 or 9 hours later not feeling we've been out more than 5 minutes. It can be just so captivating especially if you get a great sighting with no other vehicles around.
Taking our (city-loving) daughter on a guided walk her first day yielded her spotting a pride of Lions .. proud she reacted per the briefing and didn't run or scream! Remains a wonderful memory.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Where and when were you in KNP? I have been 3 times (once in March, once in January and once in December) and always around the Phalaborwa/Nelspruit area. I can honestly say that the driving vs spotting ratio is much larger than in Kenya or Tanzania but maybe I was just unlucky. I was in Kenya and Tanzania during the Great Migration so that may have tainted my perspective.
As a S'afa, may I add my 2 cents? Kruger gives you many opportunities to see the Big 5, but it depends when you go (and yes, where you look). You are less likely to see big game in the South African summer than you are if you went during the cooler months - this can generally start in May through to August.
As for places to visit - many people overlook Durban and its surrounds. Durban can offer you an authentic Zulu experience, Game drives in National Parks (Hluhluwe/Umfolozi) as well as the breathetaking Drakensberg Mountains (just came back from there today). Let's not forget the year round beach weather!!! It is the leading domestic holiday destination in the summer.
An idea for an itinerary (if possible) is to start in the East and head to the West - arrive JNB, Kruger, DBN, CPT, LHR. Not sure if that is possible on a 2-4-1.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:35 pm

We were there last Feb flew from toronto to heathrow stop over for 8hrs then flew onto Capetown but had to connect there from Jburg they said our bags would go direct to capetown but that wasn't the case at all when we went to check in for a BA Flight to Capetown we had to go all the way bag to baggage claim in arrivals small hiccup but make sure to pick up your luggage we weren't the only ones won't be the last ones either I would assume. We stayed in Capetown for one week which was great did the Cape Table mountain Robin Island (Book this online as they book way in advance. Then drove up to LLalabella game reserve brilliant carried on then to Port Elizabeth (not too impressed) drove to Durban 1 week there carried to Jburg hated that then went to Sun City stayed at the palace (on cloud nine the whole time) more than amazing. Enjoy we could have done another week
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I really enjoyed Kruger on my two visits there, but you may want to consider staying just outside the park in place such as Buhala near the Crocodile River to save a few bob. The Garden Route and places such as Kysna and Plettenberg are great, but Port Elizabeth did nothing for me. Just in the CCR now waiting for a flight to JNB and then onto Durban for the first time
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:33 pm
Ambassador

OK I may be biased because I used to live there but I would definitely recommend a few days in Durban. Umhlanga Rocks has a great beach and you can use it as a base to drive up to the Drakensberg. KZN has some breathtaking scenery.

If I were you I'd probably swap Port Elizabeth for Knysna/Plettenberg Bay and then perhaps drive along the Garden Route to Cape Town.

An idea for an itinerary (if possible) is to start in the East and head to the West - arrive JNB, Kruger, DBN, CPT, LHR.
This sounds like a good idea. I believe SAA flies from DUR to George which is within driving distance of Knysna.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Originally Posted by johnaalex
... Just in the CCR now waiting for a flight to JNB and then onto Durban for the first time
^. In Ballito right now, pouring with rain put weather looks like it should get better from Sunday through to next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.