Search

South Africa Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I believe you can use your 241 on Comair flights. You can use a GUF2 and so on. If the 241 wont work you can book 1 of the two on redemptions and you only have to pay for the other one.
No you can't, unless you do it on the telephone and the agent is a bit dim

Originally Posted by gms
Your 2-4-1 voucher will only be good for the direct long-haul flights in and out of CPT and JNB. All the other local connecting flights you see are franchise flights, so cannot be used with the 2-4-1 voucher. However, they tend to be quite inexpensive, so you can just pay cash for those on a separate booking.
Not sure how you define cheap. In peak season, based on my recent observations, JNB-CPT tends to start at £180 return in economy with SAA or BA/Comair - hardly a bargain for a 2hr flight.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Raffles
No you can't, unless you do it on the telephone and the agent is a bit dim
Don't know about the second part but you can do the Comair flights on a redemption. For the 241 the two PNRs need to be completely identical?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
You can definitly do redemptions with BA miles. This I have done many times. But i'm not sure about 2-4-1's.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I really don't know why the member for The Hague doubts the blessed Raffles's guidance.

The T+Cs for 2-4-1 redemption clearly state they are valid on mainline BA metal only and not on franchise flights.

Regular (i.e. non-2-4-1) redemptions can use Comair flights, but not 2-4-1 redemptions.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by Raffles
No you can't, unless you do it on the telephone and the agent is a bit dim....
Or willing to be a bit flexible and do you a LHR-CPT with stopover in JNB. Perhaps they just felt sorry for me because I'd had to cancel late in the day for a trip to MEX with the swine 'flu outbreak!

That aside, from personal experience I'd suggest looking at Madikwe. OK, I have no point of reference as far as game viewing goes, but it was well worth the four hour drive from JNB and few nights we spent there.

As with others, would sack off JNB entirely and spend much more time in CPT and the winelands.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
I really don't know why the member for The Hague doubts the blessed Raffles's guidance.

The T+Cs for 2-4-1 redemption clearly state they are valid on mainline BA metal only and not on franchise flights.

Regular (i.e. non-2-4-1) redemptions can use Comair flights, but not 2-4-1 redemptions.
Methinks you missed my point. I was debating whether you could do a redemption booking ie LHR-JNB//CPT-LHR and make that a 241. Next, for the original miles redemption booking you can add the JNB-CPT flight as part of the redemption and pay for your traveling partner.

The only reason that would not work would be if somehow the addition of the extra segment on the redemption would invalidate the entire 241..
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're suggesting adding a revenue sector to an award booking, I'm pretty sure it can't be done, though I'm ready to be corrected by those who know.

The T+Cs for the 2-4-1 don't specifically cover this point. See paras 15++ for more info at https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Open jaws are fine, for example out to CPT, back from JNB with separate revenue or redemption flights for internal sectors. In theory, redemptions (not 2-4-1) can be made for Comair flights though in practice they are difficult to find.

Separate reservations can be linked, to allow through check-in for example.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlefish
...there are several reasonable Safari places in the Eastern Cape which are catered and guided. Not the Wilds of Kruger or Tanzania but very decent introductions for first-time visitors.
I can recommend Shamwari, about an hour and a half's drive from Port Elizabeth.
We stayed in the Bayethe Tented Lodge there, and had a fab time - saw some great wildlife, great food and drink and a nice relaxed friendly atmosphere.

I can also recommend The Plettenberg, in Plettenberg Bay and the Marine in Hermanus - sister hotels, both of which had excellent restaurants.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're suggesting adding a revenue sector to an award booking, I'm pretty sure it can't be done, though I'm ready to be corrected by those who know.
I have once booked a AMS-LHR-JNB//CPT-LHR-AMS as a reward with a GUF2 and added JNB-CPT later over the phone. Free of charge because it is part of the normal redemption price. The routing effectively becomes AMS-LHR-JNB-CPT outbound with a stopover in JNB. Absolutely not a problem.

So, once again, I can imagine that you may not use Comair on 241 but you can use them on other redemption types and it also stays a 'one airline redemption'. So the 241 has to be a very special redemption type.

Further more, I was suggesting that the one redemption you pay for can be the complete itinerary and the one you get for free is then only the BA parts.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
So the 241 has to be a very special redemption type.
Yes, with separate T+Cs. See the link I posted above.
Further more, I was suggesting that the one redemption you pay for can be the complete itinerary and the one you get for free is then only the BA parts.
See the link I posted above. OK then, see this extract:
Originally Posted by BA AmEx 2-4-1 T+Cs
17. ... Companion Vouchers cannot be redeemed for travel on BA’s franchisees, code share partners or oneworld alliance members.
18. The Member and their Companions must travel together at all times therefore must be booked onto the same flight and cabin class when travelling using a Companion Voucher.
19. Bookings for Companions must be made at the same time as the Member makes their booking.
This doesn't specifically say you can or can't mix redemption and revenue sectors in the same booking, but I'd be surprised if it were possible. You could call BA to check.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could call BA to check.
That is all I was suggesting. I have no experience with 241s since we unfortunately don't have BA sponsored credit cards in NL.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Seshman
^. In Ballito right now, pouring with rain put weather looks like it should get better from Sunday through to next week.
Slashing down here in Durban as well. Aiming to visit Ballito in a few days time, it is supposed to be a good area for spotting dolphins. Have you seen any?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Saw a (pod?) of dolphins yesterday afternoon. Haven't been looking today. But there are plenty of opportunities as they seem to be around. It would be much easier to see them when the sea isn't so choppy though. Have fun down here. It is easily one of my better destinations in SA.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:15 pm

I'd also have to recommend that you look into Durban as a far better alternative to PE. Stay in the Umhlanga area (loads of hotels here, great beaches, bars and restaurants) and it is so close to many fantastic things to see. Durban is overlooked far too often for Cape Town and really should not be.

In my opinion skip Kruger. Its way overrated. Just over 2 hours drive north of Durban is the Hluhluwe/Umfolozi game park - the whole big 5 is easy to see there. Plus tag on Lake St Lucia nearby for a fantastic wetlands experience with 1000s of hippos and crocs. You can even go cruising with the dolphins and whales. In that area too is Shakaland to get a real deep understanding of the Zulu people and Culture.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by dysan1
I'd also have to recommend that you look into Durban as a far better alternative to PE. Stay in the Umhlanga area (loads of hotels here, great beaches, bars and restaurants) and it is so close to many fantastic things to see.
Beverly Hills hotel in Umhlanga is very nice as is the Kashmir Indian restaurant just across the road from the hotel. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.