Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Guide to JNB (Oliver R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa)

Welcome to the guide to JNB.

If your have any further questions that have not been answered after reading through, please do not hesitate to ask.

Bear in mind that the minimum connection times given below are the shortest connections allowed for tickets on a single PNR. It would be advisable to leave more time than this, particularly if you are arriving during the busy morning period. If you are travelling on two separate PNRs, add on at least an extra hour to the MCTs to allow for whatever delays the Travel Gods may throw at you.

Do note that procedures can change so this guide may not be accurate. If you notice anything has changed or there are any errors, just let me know.

International-Domestic Connection

Minimum connection time: 90 minutes

Once you have deplaned, simply follow the crowd to the immigration hall.
After going through passport control, you will need to collect your luggage and pass through customs irrespective of whether your bags have been tagged through to your final destination.
Exit into the public area and proceed up to departures level by way of the escalators which are opposite and to the left. The escalator can take trolleys.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your destination and you have your boarding passes for the onward domestic flight, you can use fast bag drop.
Otherwise you will need to check-in as normal.
Alternatively, you can use the baggage re-check desks on the left before exiting to the public area (NOTE : These are permanently closed now - Oct 2022).
If you would prefer to avoid the porters and taxi touts in the arrivals halls, there are escalators to the left of these desks which will take you to level 1. From there you will need to go up one more level to reach domestic departures. (NOTE : These escalators are out of service now - Oct 2022).

The domestic terminal is designated as a separate terminal (Terminal B) but do not be confused by this. All the terminals at JNB are under one roof so you barely notice that you are transferring between them.

Domestic-International Connection

If you can interline baggage, you can check it through from your initial departure point to your international destination. Once you land at JNB walk out to exit (ignore signs to go downstairs to baggage reclaim), keep walking through the shops/past the food court, around the atrium and there is a security/emigration point on your front right.

Please see post #106 for an illustrated guide.
[although there is no need to go up the moving walkway and then back down again - just come out of the domestic exit and keep walking straight on that level, which will bring you to the security/emigration point]

International-International Connection

Minimum connection time: 60 minutes

This is where things become a little more tricky.

If you arrive at a jetway, you will see a corridor heading towards International Transfers on the left just before the escalators down to passport control.
If you arrive at a remote stand and are bussed to the terminal, you will see the escalators on the left heading up to International Transfers as you enter the building.
Both these paths are well signposted and there is usually a staff member shouting out "International transit" and waving a sign to direct passengers.
When you go down the corridor, there is a transit immigration point before the transfer desks. Typically the wait here is 1-3 minutes, very much quicker than 'normal' immigration.
Your passport will be stamped with a "TRANSIT" stamp here even though you do not enter the country, and you must ensure that you have the required blank pages otherwise you may not be permitted to continue your transit and instead sent back to your originating point.

A few meters beyond the immigration checkpoint is the main transit information area which have desks for all the international airlines and handling agents.
If your bags have already been tagged through to your final destination, ensure that you give your connecting airline the tag numbers at this time so that they can verify them in their system.
If the tag numbers are not re-verified, they will not be loaded without manual intervention. This is not required if connecting from SAA to SAA flights however.

If your bags have not been tagged through, you will need to find a member of staff in International Transfers from your arriving airline.
Ask them to get one of their baggage services staff to pull your bags off the belt manually and coordinate with staff from your onward airline to retag them to your final destination.

This is a rather convoluted process and can take a long time.

Therefore, if your bags cannot be tagged all the way through, it is advisable to pass through immigration, collect your bags at baggage reclaim and clear customs.
After you clear customs but before you exit to the public area (the exit is a set of sliding doors on your right), you will see a series of baggage re-check desks on your left.
Proceed to these desks since they often have smaller queues and have your bags re-tagged.
Then head up the escalators to your left (do not exit the main doors into the public area) which emerge on the departures level.
Turn right when facing the Vodacom store and the departures security checkpoint is right in front of you.

You can do the entire transit and enter/exit South Africa in less than 5 minutes if your bags come out quickly.

If time permits, the safest option is to clear customs and re-check your bags as described above rather than rely on the interlining system at JNB.

Have a look at post #9 of this thread for pictures.

Originally posted by Ambassador BA304.

Luggage storage

This is taken from the whyjoburg.com web site (April 2016):

BagPort South Africa, the original company that provided a luggage storage service at OR Tambo International Airport, has changed its name.

It now operates as Ateck - from the same premises down the escalators at the main exit of Terminal A arrivals, on Basement Level 1, going towards the Parkade 2 (South).

Costs are : (NB : CASH ONLY! No Cards Accepted.)
0-5 hours: R70.00
6-12 hours: R80.00
12-24 hours: R90.00
24 hours or more: R90.00 per day.

Open 24 hours, every day of the year.

Contact details :
Tel : +27 (11) 390 2689
http://www.a-teck.co.za/or-tambo-airport-store-teck/
Print Wikipost

JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I'm looking at flying BA (Comair) Cape Town-Johannesburg-Victoria Falls all on one ticket. There's a connection of 1h40m - will this be enough time to come off domestic and transfer to the international?
Having just flown BA (Comair) JNB to Durban and return…my experience was as follows:
JNB to DUR - original flight was changed/canceled 3 times with different flight numbers …(Sept 10)
DUR to JNB - flight changed 3 times flight number changed three times…(Sept 18)

If you rely on the current scheduled departure times for scheduled departure/arrivals It very well could change days before departure…I just spent 61 days on Safari in 4 countries and had 27 scheduled flights (including our Safari flights) and 23 flights had cancellations/changes…

it’s a crazy Covid world and flights change on a moment’s notice…wishing you the best!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:45 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by Lddove
Having just flown BA (Comair) JNB to Durban and return…my experience was as follows:
JNB to DUR - original flight was changed/canceled 3 times with different flight numbers …(Sept 10)
DUR to JNB - flight changed 3 times flight number changed three times…(Sept 18)

If you rely on the current scheduled departure times for scheduled departure/arrivals It very well could change days before departure…I just spent 61 days on Safari in 4 countries and had 27 scheduled flights (including our Safari flights) and 23 flights had cancellations/changes…

it’s a crazy Covid world and flights change on a moment’s notice…wishing you the best!
Yikes... This is May so hopefully less of an issue...
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:44 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
outside space at ORT landside

Back for the first time in forever, and because of trimmed domestic schedules I'm going to have nearly 5 hours to kill at ORT next week. Is there anywhere to sit outside and get some fresh air (assuming that it will have to be a cafe/restaurant to allow me to demask)? I can't remember if the IC had any outside cafe space; does the City Lodge have a bar outside by their little pool area? Anywhere else? I don't think that I'm going to have the energy to gautrain into Sandton...
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Back for the first time in forever, and because of trimmed domestic schedules I'm going to have nearly 5 hours to kill at ORT next week. Is there anywhere to sit outside and get some fresh air (assuming that it will have to be a cafe/restaurant to allow me to demask)? I can't remember if the IC had any outside cafe space; does the City Lodge have a bar outside by their little pool area? Anywhere else? I don't think that I'm going to have the energy to gautrain into Sandton...
IC Mosaic restaurant has an outside area however the adjacent walkway is quite busy with foot traffic…it’s directly outside the restaurant doors that face the airport and has many folks walking to/from the airport…noise level can be quite high as well…never been to the City Lodge so I can’t comment on that.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 9:59 pm

Hello, perhaps someone who has travelled recently through JNB with a layover can help. Would appreciate it. Flying YUL to MUB and need advice on the return leg through JNB:

November: Flying from Maun Botswana with SA Airlink to JNB. Arriving at JNB at 15:50. Next flight is Qatar Airways to Doha, departing JNB at 21:35, and then onwards to YUL.

So I guess international to international at JNB. All on one ticket with Qatar (including Airlink flight). Carryon bags only (nothing checked).

So, with about a six hour layover, do I just stay airside? Can I stay airside? Or is there a way to perhaps hang out at a local hotel for 2 or 3 hours? I will have a PCR test done the day before in Bots, so no worries there.

Any advice on how to kill the six hour layover?

Thank you for any responses...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:40 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Arrival Meet/Greet Services

Anyone use arrival services at JNB? There are a bunch of options on the internet it just isn't clear who the actual vendors are or who would be best to book with

Bidvest/Bidair has a service and I emailed them, they don't have any pricing online. There is also a service from Pearl Assist, but their website specifies nothing of what is included just pricing.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by A4K; Nov 3, 2021 at 2:50 pm
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I used Bidvest at JNB on a pretty tight connection CPT-JNB-LHR four or five years ago. I still have the receipt, it was 1400 ZAR for two people. Kind of pricey IMO but at the time I had no experience at JNB and booked it to make sure my wife and I made our flights back to the US. They got us from arrival gate to lounge and to departure gate effortlessly. No issues anywhere with delays for security, passport checks, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:54 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
There are some lovely shops airside -- e.g. "Out of Africa," "Indaba," etc. There are also plenty of lounges that you can pay to access. That's what I'd do.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:45 am

Question about transit visa in Johannesburg

Hello, its my first post here and i really hope i can get some help
Situation:
Im a Romanian citizen (i need visa for SA) currently in Nigeria and wanting to go to Botswana. Most of the flights go through Johannesburg where i need to collect luggage and check in again (flying with different airlines). I have read that the transit visa is valid for 3 days. I have also read that if im transiting through Johannesburg i DONT NEED a transit visa anymore. So i was thinking to stay the 3 days in Johannesburg, visit a bit, and then continue my trip to Botswana. Would this be possible? Thank you so much !
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Best thing to do to check requirements is to go to timatic, which is what the airline checkin staff will look at when deciding if you can get on the plane. Look here for one tool that you can use.

Putting in LOS-JNB-GBE, for a Romanian citizen/resident, it says this about transit in JHB:
Originally Posted by timatic

Visa

Visa required.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Passengers transiting through Johannesburg (JNB) with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight within 24 hours to a third country. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
So if you need to actually enter South Africa to collect/recheck bags, then you're going to need a proper visa, whether it's for 20 minutes or 3 days.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I used Bidvest at JNB on a pretty tight connection CPT-JNB-LHR four or five years ago. I still have the receipt, it was 1400 ZAR for two people. Kind of pricey IMO but at the time I had no experience at JNB and booked it to make sure my wife and I made our flights back to the US. They got us from arrival gate to lounge and to departure gate effortlessly. No issues anywhere with delays for security, passport checks, etc.
That’s a good idea. Does anyone know if they still operate this service? We fly with Lufty in May and are due to connect to an Airlink flight (booked separately because of the all the travel disruption to my original 2020 bookings!), but I know they do interline. However, we’ve got a 2hr connection time and I don’t really want to miss the flight as it would mean a 7hr layover instead!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by croomes
That’s a good idea. Does anyone know if they still operate this service? We fly with Lufty in May and are due to connect to an Airlink flight (booked separately because of the all the travel disruption to my original 2020 bookings!), but I know they do interline. However, we’ve got a 2hr connection time and I don’t really want to miss the flight as it would mean a 7hr layover instead!
This was our first trip connecting through JNB (domestic to international) and with the tight connection I booked the Bidvest service in "an overabundance of caution". In retrospect, I would not book them again as our transit through JNB at that time would have been fairly quick without using Bidvest. Unless I see reports of huge backups through immigration, security, etc and the premium type of "VIP" service seems justified.

I have not used them since that point in time (as I said for or five years ago). From viewing their website it seems that they are still actively involved in that service. Unless someone else chimes in with more recent experience, I'd recommend reaching out to Bidvest and see how they respond..
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:04 am

This was our first trip connecting through JNB (domestic to international) and with the tight connection I booked the Bidvest service in "an overabundance of caution". In retrospect, I would not book them again as our transit through JNB at that time would have been fairly quick without using Bidvest. Unless I see reports of huge backups through immigration, security, etc and the premium type of "VIP" service seems justified.

I have not used them since that point in time (as I said for or five years ago). From viewing their website it seems that they are still actively involved in that service. Unless someone else chimes in with more recent experience, I'd recommend reaching out to Bidvest and see how they respond..
Great, thanks for that feedback. This will be the first ever time going in that direction and through JNB and with all the paraphernalia of Covid paperwork I just want to play safe. I’ve tried searching for them online but can’t seem to find their website. Would you mind posting it at all?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by croomes
Great, thanks for that feedback. This will be the first ever time going in that direction and through JNB and with all the paraphernalia of Covid paperwork I just want to play safe. I’ve tried searching for them online but can’t seem to find their website. Would you mind posting it at all?
I must have spoken out of turn on this. I was positive that I visited their website around the time of my last trip through JNB (this past June).

But after reading your post, I am getting all sorts of website load errors when I use links form my previous emails. I see the BidVest lounges are still operating. But it could be that these services were shut down after the initial cutback in flights with the pandemic in early 2020 and never were restarted.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Looking for advice on an overnight airport stay for our large family (2 adults, 5 kids) near JNB in June.

We'll be flying in from Kruger at 6PM, and flying out on Qatar at 6 AM. None of the airport hotels seem to have rooms that accommodate more than 2 people, so even if we could get connecting rooms, we'd have kids on the floor.

What would you recommend for the closest, most-convenient spot for a comfortable stay with an early AM departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.