Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Dublin airport platinum departure service to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I’ve seen some previous posts about passengers’ experience, but I was wondering what it was like specifically for flights bound from Dublin to the United States.

They take you to the USCBP pre-clearance area and to secondary security screening. This is all supposedly done about an hour before the flight. We’ve all got global entry.

For anyone that has done this for a flight to the United States, was it relatively efficient and useful to have the Platinum service? The cost isn’t as much of a concern for me than saving time and stress waiting around.

thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: EI Platinum, BA, AA, EK, AY, QR
I am not sure I would stump up for platinum any longer. The queues at pre-clearance used to be awful 5-10 years ago. But they've made it a lot more efficient since then and if you have Global Entry it shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins. I don't have global entry and on my last trip spent less than 5 minutes at USCBP.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Same. If money is no object then you're surely travelling J class? My last J class fare to JFK saw me though CBP in less than fifteen minutes and I don't have Global Entry either. Then you have the lounge after. Platinum services is now nearly €400 per person. Not sure it's warranted at all. Even if you are loaded!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:46 pm

Have to agree J class to USA recently I was through in 5 mins . I have had longer lines in most EU airports recently. You would need to be getting a First class experience to warrant that.
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Silver, NH Platinum
Having departed through Platinum Services recently I don’t think it’s worth it, especially for the US where you join everybody else at the entrance to pre-clearance.

The food and beverage offering is not at all worthy of the cost to the point I thought it was almost juxtaposed - pay €400pp but get €35 champagne and a microwaveable curry.

The car to the plane/gate and the rooms are nice however.

If you wanted to move through the airport without being seen (except if going to the US) then it might be worth it.
RMDrive likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:39 pm

Porcupine,

I have used the service several times.

CBP is a matter of minutes if you take a late afternoon flight. There is hardly anyone there. Platinum doesn't get you fast track through cbp in July August on very mornings.. And the main perk that platinum usually affords, that they whisk you from plane to plane and you are sat in the VIP lounge in between, is not available on USA bound flights as once you clear CBP you are in the main boarding area that is packed out. The Business Class lounge is also quite full sometimes and frustratingly they kick you out at 15.50 even if you have a later flight.

Where Platinum shines is when you are on a tight connection and / or connecting on different airlines and your luggage isn't checked straight through. Its a very slick professional operation and they are very nice people. Nowhere near as cocky as Heathrow VIP where they make you feel as if they are doing you a huge favour for £4k...
RMDrive likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Platinum is definitely not worth it for USA bound flights from DUB. You join CBP queue with everyone else, which as has been pointed out by previous replies, is really not bad at all these days anyway. My recent experiences at CBP 5 mins wait for a 9am departing flight, and 10 mins wait for an 11am departing flight.
If your main goal is to save time, Platinum services will not do much in the way of time saving. If you're in business class, you'll have a much smoother experience going through the airport yourself and using 51st and green lounge after CBP
DELLAS, RMDrive and alserire like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:40 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Do private jet users get it for free? If not it does seem the price point is aimed at those who really do have money. If they do then I’m just speculating!

Seems to be at least a few private jets a day using DUB.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:55 am

Programs: AerClub Concierge, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor ALL Silver, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by alserire
Do private jet users get it for free? If not it does seem the price point is aimed at those who really do have money. If they do then I’m just speculating!

Seems to be at least a few private jets a day using DUB.
The first question they asked me was whether I was flying commercial or private - cost is the same as far as I know
alserire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.