Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

How much time should I set aside for repositioning from LHR->DUB to DUB->IAD both EI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much time should I set aside for repositioning from LHR->DUB to DUB->IAD both EI?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

We have our flight on a Thursday in May from DUB to IAD, leaving at 4:30PM. It will be in J.
I am currently trying to book our repositioning flight from LHR to DUB, but unsure how much time I need to set aside.
The available flights I can choose from have the following arrival times into DUB:
8:05 AM, 9AM, 10:15AM, 11:15 AM, 1:25PM.
Wondering which one we should pick. From what I gather, We will have to go stateside to pick up our baggage, then check in again, then go through security, and then preclearance, before arriving at the gate/lounge. Do I have that correct?
How much time roughly is needed to go through that whole proces?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by AJDem
We have our flight on a Thursday in May from DUB to IAD, leaving at 4:30PM. It will be in J.
I am currently trying to book our repositioning flight from LHR to DUB, but unsure how much time I need to set aside.
The available flights I can choose from have the following arrival times into DUB:
8:05 AM, 9AM, 10:15AM, 11:15 AM, 1:25PM.
Wondering which one we should pick. From what I gather, We will have to go stateside to pick up our baggage, then check in again, then go through security, and then preclearance, before arriving at the gate/lounge. Do I have that correct?
How much time roughly is needed to go through that whole proces?

As I understand it you’ll be on different tickets so while EI could check you through from LHR to IAD they may not so you will have to collect luggage and check in and do security again before USCBP. . The 11.15 a.m. would be my choice. That should give you more than enough time.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AJDem
From what I gather, We will have to go stateside to pick up our baggage
Good thing you're flying to IAD then, eh?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:38 am

I would go with the 10:15 . Recently my last two flights have been delayed around 2 hours. Aer Lingus sadly are struggling with punctuality on the European routes for some reason. Better to have a bit extra just to cover all scenarios.
irishguy28 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 6:58 am

And if in J to IAD, then 51st and Green is a nice place to chill if everything is on-time....
DELLAS likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
I would go with the 10:15 . Recently my last two flights have been delayed around 2 hours. Aer Lingus sadly are struggling with punctuality on the European routes for some reason. Better to have a bit extra just to cover all scenarios.

Odd. Haven’t noticed that. Are there issues from LHR?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Same here been pretty much spot on so far in 2024
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: EI Concierge, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Platinum
Yeah, my datapoints are mainly LHR, but that operation has been stunningly efficient the last few months. Even the odd ground stop for ATC hasn’t been enough to make a flight late for me in months. (Although there are hundreds a flights a day I’m not on, so not suggesting anyone else’s experiences are the same as mine!). OP, if coming from LHR, I would personally choose the flight landing at 1115, but if it runs a few hours late you’d certainly be in trouble
alserire likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.