Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Dublin Airport given six weeks to cut night flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Dublin Airport given six weeks to cut night flightsDublin Airport has been ordered to significantly reduce its night time flights amid claims it has breached strict planning permission rules governing the usage of its new north runway.

In separate statements today, Fingal County Council and daa, which operates Dublin Airport, confirmed the issue.

The daa has criticised the decision, and its timing, as it is taking place during the peak summer time period.

Dublin Airport's north runway opened last August despite concerns from local residents over the potential impact of noise from planes flying over their homes.

As a result, planning permission given for the runway included a condition saying that no more than 65 flights could operate from the runway between 11pm and 7am.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0802/1397798-daa-disappointed-with-fingals-night-flights-cuts/

Wonder what impact this will have on the Aer Lingus schedules given the fact they are often operating during those hours .
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
I counted near a hundred movements between 11 tonight and 7 tomorrow morning. Not including cargo. So you’re talking about a third of flights having to disappear. By mid September.

As an aside it’s absolutely ludicrous that a local council can do this to arguably the key piece of transport infrastructure in the country. As an island it’s just madness.

It’s like the Croke Park argument. How could you miss the giant stadium that’s been there for a hundred years when you bought your house.

I live under the flight path for the lesser used runway. Just a few miles from the airport. You just get on with it.
DELLAS, MP001 and Pete_23567 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alserire
I counted near a hundred movements between 11 tonight and 7 tomorrow morning. Not including cargo. So you’re talking about a third of flights having to disappear. By mid September.

As an aside it’s absolutely ludicrous that a local council can do this to arguably the key piece of transport infrastructure in the country. As an island it’s just madness.

It’s like the Croke Park argument. How could you miss the giant stadium that’s been there for a hundred years when you bought your house.

I live under the flight path for the lesser used runway. Just a few miles from the airport. You just get on with it.
Your right the local council should have the power removed from it regarding DUB they are
useless and should stick to decisions such as street cleaning and street lights !
alserire, MP001 and Pete_23567 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:39 am

I realise posting this on a frequent flier website is maybe going against the grain, but the DAA’s behaviour has been less than admirable since the opening of the runway.

Firstly, it was granted planning permission based on a set of conditions. Whether those were fair or not, breaching the conditions is both unconscionable and stupid, in the context of future planning (note the refusal of planning this week for the CBP pre-clearance extension).

Second, upon opening the runway, for no apparent reason other than either laziness, incompetence or unwillingness to enforce something on airlines, westerly departures off the new runway didn’t adhere to agreed routings, adding more fuel to the ire of local residents.

There’s a middle ground to be found here but the DAA hasn’t helped itself.
mailliW, irishguy28, NLpio and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
As far as I am aware the routing thing has been solved.

You cannot buy in north county Dublin and expect not to be affected. You just can’t. As noted above. On an island the main airport is the critical piece of infrastructure. Interfering with its use to the extent proposed is ridiculous. And would have a massive effect on the economy and tourism.

But the biggest issue for me is the fact that it’s the local council running the show. They’re not going to see the bigger picture. They should have nothing to do with it.

EI and FR would clearly be hugely affected by this.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

High Court grants stay on Dublin Airport night flights' order

The High Court has granted Dublin Airport operator daa leave to apply for a judicial review of a decision by Fingal County Council to enforce a limit on night-time flights at the airport.

The court also granted a stay preventing the enforcement notice issued by the council from being implemented.

It follows a warning by the daa that if it were to be enforced, as many as 4,400 flights involving more than 700,000 passengers may have to be cancelled between now and the middle of September.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023...762-daa-court/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.