Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Award ticket baggage allowance nightmare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

EDIT: I managed to get a refund from Avios without paying any penalty.

–––

Help!

I booked award ticket BRS-DUB-BRS via Avios.com whilst logged in to my AerClub account. (As I was having problems with completing it I sought help over chat - this might have a bearing on subsequent problems.)

During the booking process, I asked about upgrading the checked bag allowance and was told it’d be 20kg, but this would be upgradeable on aerlingus.com to 25kg or 2x20kg per person.

When I try to do the paid bag change, aerlingus.com refers me to the ‘third-party’ seller. Over the phone, I’m told to contact British Airways as it’s their ticket. British Airways says it’s something to do with ‘ISS’. (They tried to transfer me to ISS, but after an hour in the phone the line dropped.)

I have tried going back to Avios as well, but they just refer me to Aer Lingus - so I am going around in circles.

I’ve tried AerClub customer service over email and - even though I’ve explained all this - they refer me to the (EI) phone line as they can’t help with anything that involves a payment.

At this point I’d rather just walk away from the whole awful experience, but of course they’ll want to charge a cancellation fee.

This should not be so difficult. Does anyone have any idea where I might get some sense from please? I do not want to bowl-up to check in to be told I have to pay £/€10 a kilo excess.

Last edited by bernardh; Jan 13, 2023 at 3:17 am
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:54 am

To add sports equipment to my Avios booking (made on Avios.com) I contacted EI directly and it was just a very simple process for the agent on the phone. If in doubt and getting nowhere with an agent, HUCA (hang up, call again)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.