Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

"Standby for earlier flight" benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI Concierge, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Platinum

I've used the 'standby for earlier flight" benefit that comes with Plus and higher fares many times at check in at LHR, DUB and LGW and in the lounges without a problem, until an incident at BRS airport today.

Today, when flying from BRS I called the call centre to check, who confirmed I could change to the earlier flight when I arrive at the airport. EI check in is managed by Swissport at BRS and when I arrived at the airport the agent (who was incredibly helpful and did everything she could) told me it is a long-standing issue that they have no access to change someone to an earlier flight and can only check in the list EI gives them. I called the call centre who told me only the airport can change my flight as departure time was less than 2 hours, and generally made clear they had no authority to help me.

Who was in the wrong here? Is this just a process issue with EI? Did I misunderstand the standby rule? If I should have been allowed on the earlier flight, does anyone know what I should have done to get on the standby list?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Bump. I have an interest in this. Flying EDI-DUB on a Plus fare at 1515, but possibly we’ll be in a position to take the 1200 flight.

edited: OK, this more recent thread answers things, assuming that the standby processes for Aerspace and Plus are fundamentally similar.
AerSpace Standby for Earlier Flight?

Seems all a bit ‘hit and miss’...

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 15, 2024 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: EI Platinum, BA Silver
I believe it’s a systems issue. My understanding is that tickets can only be amended when there is full access to Astral (this is the EI res system and DCS). Internally, EI refer to them as “online stations”. All the large EI mainline stations in the UK are “online”, including (I believe, but am not certain) EDI. As an EIR-only station, BRS is not one of them and this is why there were restrictions in amending your ticket.

LHR, LGW, MAN & BHX are all online, as well as EDI and GLA I believe.

Please do report back how you get on as it will be a useful data point.

EI should really clarify which airports this benefit is available as the website implies it is available everywhere assuming you have a Plus (or higher) ticket, which is not the case in practice.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:23 am
Original Poster

They really should clarify it. I’m sick to my back teeth having to fight to receive published and paid for benefits at outstations, including priority boarding ( “board at your leisure”) and free standby. EI are extremely lax about ensuring EIR do the things they are supposed to do
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Given Ireland are playing Scotland in Dublin this evening and its St Patricks day on Sunday I'd say your chances are zero for an early flight
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: AerClub
Note, if your a Conceirge member call the helpline and ask for the desired flight you wish to take and they will check the load charts and you maybe in luck.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Yes, a good strategy, just remember to do it at least 2 hours before departure of the flight you want to get on. Usually very efficient.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Given Ireland are playing Scotland in Dublin this evening and its St Patricks day on Sunday I'd say your chances are zero for an early flight
This is in late Aug, so no immediate worries. On the 1515 flight EDI-DUB and the 1200 flight would be also suitable.

Will report back how things go. If must be done at Check-in with no online option, then we’ll prepare ourselves for a long stay at the airport….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.