Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

OT: Who won the contract for Dublin Lounge East?

OT: Who won the contract for Dublin Lounge East?

Old Aug 19, 19, 12:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN/PVG
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,887
OT: Who won the contract for Dublin Lounge East?

Itís been a while since the DAA announced that they were tendering for the development & operation of a lounge aimed as East bound long haul travel (eg link below). Anyone know who won the contract or when the new lounge might open?

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-east-...87916-Feb2019/
Dambus is offline  
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:31 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: Aerclub - Concierge, BA - Silver. Avis - Presidents Club
Posts: 468
Don't know, but Hainan are dropping all their Dublin services I believe so slightly less of market when they go. Will this replace the Etihad lounge already there? Would seem strange to open up a new large one for just Cathay, Emirates and Qatar unless it'll open up to lounge pass providers too.
mccartje is offline  
Old Aug 19, 19, 4:24 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN/PVG
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,887
Originally Posted by mccartje View Post
Don't know, but Hainan are dropping all their Dublin services I believe so slightly less of market when they go. Will this replace the Etihad lounge already there? Would seem strange to open up a new large one for just Cathay, Emirates and Qatar unless it'll open up to lounge pass providers too.
The Etihad lounge closed at some point recently (in common with many of their outstation lounges). It's boarded up at the moment with some "Dublin East Lounge" branding and the usual "coming soon"

If I understand correctly DAA had already agreed with Etihad/Emirates/Cathy/Qatar/Hainan that this new lounge would be shared with the contract going out to tender (to ensure it was meaningfully better than the current DAA lounges in T1/T2). However, my info was informal and dated and was from before Hainan announced a reduced and more seasonal flight schedule and CX's recent difficulties.
Dambus is offline  
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:49 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,187
I found this part of the article somewhat amusing:
For example, certain signage has been translated to Mandarin
Mandarin is a spoken language. Written would be "Chinese."
GFrye is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 1:02 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN/PVG
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,887
Lounge now open

Cathay and Hainan are notably not included in the airlines with access agreements. Also no mention of paid access.

Would be great if PP or AMEX negotiated access...

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest...und-passengers

East Lounge is located beyond the passenger security screening area between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and will cater for passengers travelling with Emirates, Etihad Airways, Turkish Airlines and Qatar Airways.


ďWe are very excited to open this dedicated lounge for Business and First-Class passengers travelling eastwards,Ē said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.
mccartje likes this.
Dambus is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 907
How much work did the DAA do to the Etihad space? Have they made substantial renovations or just changed some of the furniture?
BrianDromey is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,905
The whole interior has changed . EY had partioned it more where as now it is about maximising seat capacity but is still nice.
DELLAS is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:46 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DUB / RUH / KUL
Programs: QR Gold
Posts: 395
Hi all, just trying to find some info on the East Lounge. Does anyone know if Qatar Airways are using this lounge, and if so, is it just for Business Class or for status pax as well?

Doesn't seem to be much info on access rules or if you can pay into it? It's not listed yet on Dublin Airport website.

I know this is not EI specific, but not sure where else to find out about this?
jah718 is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 12:45 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: DUB/ORD/SIN/PVG
Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Posts: 2,887
Originally Posted by jah718 View Post
Hi all, just trying to find some info on the East Lounge. Does anyone know if Qatar Airways are using this lounge, and if so, is it just for Business Class or for status pax as well?

Doesn't seem to be much info on access rules or if you can pay into it? It's not listed yet on Dublin Airport website.

I know this is not EI specific, but not sure where else to find out about this?
Qatar do use it and currently itís Business (or First) and status PAX only. Not possible to pay for access at the moment.

Was there a couple of weeks ago on an Emirates itin - the restaurant style dining and a la carte menu was very good - a significant step up from any other lounge in DUB. ^

Edited:

Info above incorrect at time of posting (was based on conversation with agent in the Lounge...)!

Last edited by Dambus; Dec 22, 19 at 6:55 am
Dambus is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 2:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DUB / RUH / KUL
Programs: QR Gold
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Qatar do use it and currently itís Business (or First) and status PAX only. Not possible to pay for access at the moment.

Was there a couple of weeks ago on an Emirates itin - the restaurant style dining and a la carte menu was very good - a significant step up from any other lounge in DUB. ^
Thanks a million, I will get to try it out on Friday in that case, as flying out on QR.
jah718 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 19, 4:02 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DUB/EZE
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 387
oneworld emerald in Y flying qatar

Originally Posted by jah718 View Post
Thanks a million, I will get to try it out on Friday in that case, as flying out on QR.
Hi

Can anyone confirm if they were successful at accessing the lounge flying Y in qatar with OWE status.

Thanks
palermo is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 4:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DUB / RUH / KUL
Programs: QR Gold
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by palermo View Post
Hi

Can anyone confirm if they were successful at accessing the lounge flying Y in qatar with OWE status.

Thanks
Hi,

I can confirm when I flew out, they were not using the East Lounge, I was directed to the DAA lounge at the time. I went down to ask at the East Lounge and they said no for QR.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I got a notification from our corporate travel agent confirming that QR are now officially using the East lounge effective 27th November. Available for QR Silver and above. Great news for flyers out of DUB as the DAA lounge is really not great.
Dambus likes this.
jah718 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 19, 11:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DUB/EZE
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by jah718 View Post
Hi,

I can confirm when I flew out, they were not using the East Lounge, I was directed to the DAA lounge at the time. I went down to ask at the East Lounge and they said no for QR.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I got a notification from our corporate travel agent confirming that QR are now officially using the East lounge effective 27th November. Available for QR Silver and above. Great news for flyers out of DUB as the DAA lounge is really not great.

Thanks Jh718

I am flying in early January in Y as OWE so I will update either way .
palermo is offline  
Old Jan 19, 20, 6:04 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DUB/EZE
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 387
Confirmed as of January 2020 that Qatar passengers in Y with FF status (I am OWE) and J get access to this lounge.

I was in the lounge on the 1st. A big big step up from the general lounge. Food offering was good but inferior to the old Ethiad lounge. It is also a lot more crowded around the time the Emirates flight is closer to boarding time but once EK crowd left and only the QR passengers remained, it was a bliss. There was a buffet which had some breakfast items (French Toast, bacon) and gnocchi and a short a la carte menu. I order the asian noodles with broth from the a la carte menu which was very nice.

I don't drink alcohol so I cannot comment on the drinks offering but my partner had the wine and thought it was Ok.

All in all, a big win for QR passengers.
The _Banking_Scot and Dambus like this.
palermo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: