Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

OT: Who won the contract for Dublin Lounge East?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

It’s been a while since the DAA announced that they were tendering for the development & operation of a lounge aimed as East bound long haul travel (eg link below). Anyone know who won the contract or when the new lounge might open?

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-east-...87916-Feb2019/
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:31 am

Don't know, but Hainan are dropping all their Dublin services I believe so slightly less of market when they go. Will this replace the Etihad lounge already there? Would seem strange to open up a new large one for just Cathay, Emirates and Qatar unless it'll open up to lounge pass providers too.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mccartje
Don't know, but Hainan are dropping all their Dublin services I believe so slightly less of market when they go. Will this replace the Etihad lounge already there? Would seem strange to open up a new large one for just Cathay, Emirates and Qatar unless it'll open up to lounge pass providers too.
The Etihad lounge closed at some point recently (in common with many of their outstation lounges). It's boarded up at the moment with some "Dublin East Lounge" branding and the usual "coming soon"

If I understand correctly DAA had already agreed with Etihad/Emirates/Cathy/Qatar/Hainan that this new lounge would be shared with the contract going out to tender (to ensure it was meaningfully better than the current DAA lounges in T1/T2). However, my info was informal and dated and was from before Hainan announced a reduced and more seasonal flight schedule and CX's recent difficulties.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

I found this part of the article somewhat amusing:
For example, certain signage has been translated to Mandarin
Mandarin is a spoken language. Written would be "Chinese."
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Lounge now open

Cathay and Hainan are notably not included in the airlines with access agreements. Also no mention of paid access.

Would be great if PP or AMEX negotiated access...

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest...und-passengers

East Lounge is located beyond the passenger security screening area between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and will cater for passengers travelling with Emirates, Etihad Airways, Turkish Airlines and Qatar Airways.

“We are very excited to open this dedicated lounge for Business and First-Class passengers travelling eastwards,” said Dublin Airport Managing Director Vincent Harrison.
mccartje likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
How much work did the DAA do to the Etihad space? Have they made substantial renovations or just changed some of the furniture?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:54 am

The whole interior has changed . EY had partioned it more where as now it is about maximising seat capacity but is still nice.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:46 am

Hi all, just trying to find some info on the East Lounge. Does anyone know if Qatar Airways are using this lounge, and if so, is it just for Business Class or for status pax as well?

Doesn't seem to be much info on access rules or if you can pay into it? It's not listed yet on Dublin Airport website.

I know this is not EI specific, but not sure where else to find out about this?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jah718
Hi all, just trying to find some info on the East Lounge. Does anyone know if Qatar Airways are using this lounge, and if so, is it just for Business Class or for status pax as well?

Doesn't seem to be much info on access rules or if you can pay into it? It's not listed yet on Dublin Airport website.

I know this is not EI specific, but not sure where else to find out about this?
Qatar do use it and currently it’s Business (or First) and status PAX only. Not possible to pay for access at the moment.

Was there a couple of weeks ago on an Emirates itin - the restaurant style dining and a la carte menu was very good - a significant step up from any other lounge in DUB. ^

Edited:

Info above incorrect at time of posting (was based on conversation with agent in the Lounge...)!

Last edited by Dambus; Dec 22, 2019 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Qatar do use it and currently it’s Business (or First) and status PAX only. Not possible to pay for access at the moment.

Was there a couple of weeks ago on an Emirates itin - the restaurant style dining and a la carte menu was very good - a significant step up from any other lounge in DUB. ^
Thanks a million, I will get to try it out on Friday in that case, as flying out on QR.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
oneworld emerald in Y flying qatar

Thanks a million, I will get to try it out on Friday in that case, as flying out on QR.
Hi

Can anyone confirm if they were successful at accessing the lounge flying Y in qatar with OWE status.

Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by palermo
Hi

Can anyone confirm if they were successful at accessing the lounge flying Y in qatar with OWE status.

Thanks
Hi,

I can confirm when I flew out, they were not using the East Lounge, I was directed to the DAA lounge at the time. I went down to ask at the East Lounge and they said no for QR.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I got a notification from our corporate travel agent confirming that QR are now officially using the East lounge effective 27th November. Available for QR Silver and above. Great news for flyers out of DUB as the DAA lounge is really not great.
Dambus likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:31 am

Hi,

I can confirm when I flew out, they were not using the East Lounge, I was directed to the DAA lounge at the time. I went down to ask at the East Lounge and they said no for QR.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I got a notification from our corporate travel agent confirming that QR are now officially using the East lounge effective 27th November. Available for QR Silver and above. Great news for flyers out of DUB as the DAA lounge is really not great.

Thanks Jh718

I am flying in early January in Y as OWE so I will update either way .
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:04 am

Confirmed as of January 2020 that Qatar passengers in Y with FF status (I am OWE) and J get access to this lounge.

I was in the lounge on the 1st. A big big step up from the general lounge. Food offering was good but inferior to the old Ethiad lounge. It is also a lot more crowded around the time the Emirates flight is closer to boarding time but once EK crowd left and only the QR passengers remained, it was a bliss. There was a buffet which had some breakfast items (French Toast, bacon) and gnocchi and a short a la carte menu. I order the asian noodles with broth from the a la carte menu which was very nice.

I don't drink alcohol so I cannot comment on the drinks offering but my partner had the wine and thought it was Ok.

All in all, a big win for QR passengers.
The _Banking_Scot and Dambus like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.