Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred points worth less than on Aer Lingus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Sapphire Preferred points worth less than on Aer Lingus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Chase Sapphire Preferred points worth less than on Aer Lingus?

Found out today that for the exact same flights (MSP to KIR; AMS to MSP), I'd pay around $890 on Aer Lingus, but with Chase Sapphire Preferred points, I'd pay $1,126 in points.

Chase says points users save 25% on travel when they use points, but this doesn't seem to be the case. When I used Twitter to contact their customer service, they said: "The prices you see on our website are provided to us directly from the travel supplier. At times, the travel supplier saves its best rates for customers booking directly on their website. ^RR." When I asked how I was receiving 25% more through this arrangement, they said, "Rewards can be used as a credit on your account at a rate of 100 points per $1. If you use 100 rewards for a travel purchase, it would be worth $1.25. ^RR."

Can someone help me understand this?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
To clarify, EI is offering the fare you want for $890 and the Chase Travel Portal is showing $1126 and the corresponding points to cover that charge?

Ideally the CTP would show you the $890 fare and you'd use points at the 1.25cpp bonus rate for having the CSP. The CTP is run by Expedia and if Expedia isn't offering that fare, and in some instances even if it is offering it on Expedia.com, you won't be able to purchase it on the Portal.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:37 am

I also noticed this previously, I figured that's one of the reasons they offer you a 25% bonus so as to balance things out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.