Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Complimentary drinks?

I read that AL were introducing complimentary wine or beer with meals in economy. Does anyone know if this has started yet or, if not, what date it is planned?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by celt32girl
I read that AL were introducing complimentary wine or beer with meals in economy. Does anyone know if this has started yet or, if not, what date it is planned?
Supposedly in the first quarter of this year "Re-brand" and new TATL econ benefits
And it's EI for Aer Lingus not AL
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:17 am

I fly on Wednesday TATL in Y, will report back. Not holding my breath.
celt32girl likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by celt32girl
Originally Posted by uncleruckus
I fly on Wednesday TATL in Y, will report back. Not holding my breath.
Just flew to Chicago today in Y and no free alcoholic drinks yet.
​​​​​​​I know free booze isn't requisite for a 4* Skytrax rating but that along with the weird lack of seat selection at checkin because I'd already selected one online before doesn't really scream premium.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:19 am

No free drinks in Y on Wednesday night TATL. Hopefully they're coming soon.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
I'll try Seattle on Saturday and see how we get on

That said as a Concierge chances are something will arrive regardless. Quite fond of a single glass of the Uruguayan red they had in business class last year. The quarter bottles in Y are some bottom barrel cheap rubbish not drinkable so don't hold out much hope for free booze
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BA
Still nothing - just flown LAX-DUB. €6 for the 250ml bottle of wine. Kind of disappointing for a full-service airline but I live and learn.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by expatboy
Still nothing - just flown LAX-DUB. €6 for the 250ml bottle of wine. Kind of disappointing for a full-service airline but I live and learn.

I messaged them last month about this as I'm flying in January with them. Seems to be maybe launched in line with new uniform maybe?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Staff have been fitted for the uniform based on what I have heard, there is a real dress this time for the ladies.

I'm 50/50 on getting a free drink in Y but thats status based

There is a new A330 due soon so possible PR opportunity.

Last edited by ROKNA; Sep 12, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA, NW
I flew MSP>DUB>LHR on a group flight in August 2019 (no, not charter), and while I can do without alcoholic beverages, I was very disappointed in the lack of any kind of beverages for on a TATL flight. I was not surprised at the cramped seats, and the food quality was nothing special, although edible, but the beverage cart came around when we reached cruising altitude, and we each received an 8-ounce glass of a soft drink, then nothing till dinner, when we received another 8-ounce glass of water.

I guess I'm accustomed to Asian and even U.S. airlines, where they keep the pax hydrated on long flights ( a bottle of water in each seat pocket, followed by at least two rounds of the beverage cart). When we landed at Dublin, I made straight for a shop where I could buy a bottle of water.

As my trip was nearing its end, I received an e-mail offer to bid for an upgrade to business class I put in the lowest acceptable bid and was successful. This return trip (DUB-MSP) was like a totally different airline--spacious lie-flat seats and plenty of food and drink.

I wrote to Aer Lingus afterward, complaining about the lack of hydration, but I never received a reply.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:10 am

I've always found cabin crew periodically roaming the cabin with water. Lack of free booze also reduces the risk of trouble onboard. You can of course fly with those many airlines who wedge 10 seats across on a 777.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
I flew MSP>DUB>LHR on a group flight in August 2019 (no, not charter), and while I can do without alcoholic beverages, I was very disappointed in the lack of any kind of beverages for on a TATL flight. I was not surprised at the cramped seats, and the food quality was nothing special, although edible, but the beverage cart came around when we reached cruising altitude, and we each received an 8-ounce glass of a soft drink, then nothing till dinner, when we received another 8-ounce glass of water.

I guess I'm accustomed to Asian and even U.S. airlines, where they keep the pax hydrated on long flights ( a bottle of water in each seat pocket, followed by at least two rounds of the beverage cart). When we landed at Dublin, I made straight for a shop where I could buy a bottle of water.

As my trip was nearing its end, I received an e-mail offer to bid for an upgrade to business class I put in the lowest acceptable bid and was successful. This return trip (DUB-MSP) was like a totally different airline--spacious lie-flat seats and plenty of food and drink.

I wrote to Aer Lingus afterward, complaining about the lack of hydration, but I never received a reply.
Is it not possible to bring your own water with you?

And were you really surprised that business class was like a different airline?

Someone doth protest too much methinks.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I just flew Aer Lingus DUB-YYZ in Y and it was quite a decent flight with OK leg room and good service. There was a hot lunch and then later half a wrap and a cookie type treat. Alcohol was not free and was pretty expensive. There was a bar set up in one of the galleys where you could get water and soft drinks between services. Beer and wine free with dinner would have been nice but I can survive without booze Great flight.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Alcohol was not free and was pretty expensive..
ORD-DUB-LHR and back a few weeks ago, no free alcohol for me either, but the few Euro I spent on wine was far less than BA seat selection charges. I'll take that swap, and the EI A330, and DUB preclearance, as more than fair play.
alserire and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by alserire
Is it not possible to bring your own water with you?

And were you really surprised that business class was like a different airline?

Someone doth protest too much methinks.
Other airlines I've flown trans-Atlantic have served more than one 8-oz glass of water during the flight, and others even provide a bottle of water in the seat pocket.
expatboy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.