Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
IAD-DUB on 1/17 in Y still had only soft drinks and water for free. Really slow dinner and drinks service and I’ve gotten more soft drink, coffee, water service on domestic Y on Delta on a 3 hour flight from DCA-MSP. I came back in Business Class which was quite impressive, but I was expecting more in coach. It didn’t feel like a full service carrier to be honest.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by DCAJen
It didn’t feel like a full service carrier to be honest.
Probably because it's not and doesn't purport to be.
alserire likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
Probably because it's not and doesn't purport to be.
Maybe I used the wrong term, but unlike Norwegian or the now demised Wow Air or Primera, they seem to be a “regular airline” rather than a piece by piece one and the fact that these “normal” things weren’t included wasn’t well communicated in advance IMHO. I guess I just expected from them the same I’d expect from other IAG carriers which includes drinks on transatlantic and a meal service that doesn’t take 2 hours to get to me in the first row on a 6 hour flight overnight and maybe offering more than one drink at some point in the flight. Even Jet Blue and Southwest (who I would say are domestically in the same category) have done that when I’ve flown them mid-con or trans-con so it does seem a bit behind and the flight attendants didn’t seem in the mood where they’d have obliged if asked for something.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by DCAJen
Maybe I used the wrong term, but unlike Norwegian or the now demised Wow Air or Primera, they seem to be a “regular airline” rather than a piece by piece one and the fact that these “normal” things weren’t included wasn’t well communicated in advance IMHO. I guess I just expected from them the same I’d expect from other IAG carriers which includes drinks on transatlantic and a meal service that doesn’t take 2 hours to get to me in the first row on a 6 hour flight overnight and maybe offering more than one drink at some point in the flight. Even Jet Blue and Southwest (who I would say are domestically in the same category) have done that when I’ve flown them mid-con or trans-con so it does seem a bit behind and the flight attendants didn’t seem in the mood where they’d have obliged if asked for something.
2 hours is really slow, it's usually much faster than that on the overnight flight. Not that I am defending Aer Lingus since I am close to done with them mostly due to all the reasons you've stated. Where is the free drink we were told was coming in 2019? What about the free wifi we were also promised? If anything service has gotten worse since I started flying them several times a year from JFK/EWR to visit my now wife who was living in Ireland.

I'd love to stick with Delta since they're my primary domestic carrier, but flights are routinely $200 more expensive. So I have had a hard time justifying a bottle of water, cocktail and a slightly better movie selection being worth $200, aside from the Delta points, which are actually worth something compared to Avios, I suppose. I also get the lounge with EI in both DUB and NYC, and while they're pretty bad lounges it's better than nothing. If anything for the piece and quiet.
DCAJen likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
2 hours is really slow, it's usually much faster than that on the overnight flight. Not that I am defending Aer Lingus since I am close to done with them mostly due to all the reasons you've stated. Where is the free drink we were told was coming in 2019? What about the free wifi we were also promised? If anything service has gotten worse since I started flying them several times a year from JFK/EWR to visit my now wife who was living in Ireland.

I'd love to stick with Delta since they're my primary domestic carrier, but flights are routinely $200 more expensive. So I have had a hard time justifying a bottle of water, cocktail and a slightly better movie selection being worth $200, aside from the Delta points, which are actually worth something compared to Avios, I suppose. I also get the lounge with EI in both DUB and NYC, and while they're pretty bad lounges it's better than nothing. If anything for the piece and quiet.
To be clear it wasn’t horrible, it just was below expectations and I think some of it may have been a crew that seemed slightly tired and annoyed but that can happen on any airline. (My flight back from Dublin was wonderful.) I will say my bit of frustration was that it didn’t seem well communicated to not expect what was on the typical transatlantic flight on say BA. But I’d consider flying them again, just now I know what I’m getting into and might say buy a Delta basic economy ticket if it was $100 more especially since I’ll soon be a GM on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.