Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Avios.com made a mistake in my booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

I booked some Economy tickets DUB-SFO-DUB on Aer Lingus using Avios for 3 adults and one 4 year old.
Despite providing accurate information during booking, (confirmed by Avios call agent since this issue arose,) Avios somehow booked 4x adult tickets. (The 4 year old is listed as 'Master' but still has an adult ticket)

Trying to add API online on the outbound flight failed as the Aer Lingus website refused the 4 year old's date of birth, showing an error message that the date of birth wasn't old enough.

Avios couldn't correct this, and after several lengthy calls, neither could Aer Lingus. Avios did say they had updated the 'system' but nothing changed. Aer Lingus advised us to check in at the airport, where staff would be able to seat us together.

As a consequence, we had to check in at the airport and the check-in agent said that all seats were already booked and we ended up in separate seats. I had an almost 11 hour flight in the centre of a central row of 4, waking the people either side every time the child needed the toilet.
The other adults, who could have helped, were seated elsewhere.
Cabin crew were not very helpful and unfortunately, nobody else was willing to swap seats when we asked. The cabin crew didn't want to ask other passengers if they would be prepared to move, so we had to ask ourselves. I even offered one guy money to let my wife sit with us, but he didn't want to give up his aisle seat. Can't blame him.

I wasn't happy, but at least we made it on holiday!

Now, I'm in the US and the error is still there. Avios said they had updated it, but they haven't.

So, I'm looking at the likelihood of being in separate seats again, and I cannot even pay to amend or choose alternatives. By the time we get to check-in, it's highly likely that we will again be in centre seats, separated on an 11-hour overnight flight.

I don't know what else to do as Aer Lingus say their hands are tied and that I should check in at the airport. Avios say they have amended the booking, but it's not updated.
Tried contacting Avios via social media, but no response...

Any ideas on what else to try?
Would a child's ticket have been different in any way?

Wish I'd just booked via BA.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:57 am

AerLingus have no control over Avios tickets.

You will need to contact Avios.

Avios Contact below.

Call us to speak to our experts on +353 1 562 1043

Lines open Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 10am-4pm. Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge. Mobile other providers may vary. Please note: calls may be recorded for quality and training purposes.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AndyQ8
Wish I'd just booked via BA.
You can, you know.

Avios are a BA invention - they own and control everything to do with Avios - including the booking tool of which you are no fan! - and imposed Avios on Aer Lingus after the takeover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.