Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Can I earn any frequent flyer miles while waiting for new AerClub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I flew in March BOS/DUB and now going back in June. I am not a GoldCircle member yet cannot sign up for any program until AerClub is launched in July. Can I receive credit for both of these 2 transatlantic flights? Avios via BA?
Thanks.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Yes, if you were already a BA member when you flew earlier, you may earn something for the flights already taken. If you're not yet a BA member, you won't earn anything for the past flights, but may for the future one.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Yes, if you were already a BA member when you flew earlier, you may earn something for the flights already taken. If you're not yet a BA member, you won't earn anything for the past flights, but may for the future one.
Yes, am a BA/Avios member. I just called BA and was told I needed to contact Aer Lingus. I then called AerLingus and told I cannot earn Avios points for April nor upcoming June flight as they haven't rolled out their new membership program on Avios.

Doesn't seem quite right - 2 transatlantic flights yet cannot earn any points anywhere (I was not a member of Aer Lingus' GoldCircle before they closed down new membership).

Anyone have any luck getting credit for flights (with similar circumstances)? Thanks!
Old May 23, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
If you add a BA executive club number, all future flights subject to fare class will earn Avios, but not tier points unless sold under a BA code (i.e. a 125- ticket)
Old May 24, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Gina2003
Yes, am a BA/Avios member.
Just to clarify, are you a BA Executive Club member or an Avios.com member?

BA use Avios as their currency - you can earn Avios by crediting your EI flights to your BAEC account.

Avios.com is a related programme of which you can also be a member, but which you cannot (yet) credit your EI flights to.

It seems to be sensible to join all the flavours of Avios (BA/IB/Avios, and soon EI) as they can transfer Avios back and forth between the varieties, and each account allows different things.

If you are a BA member, call EI to add your BA membership number to the booking. Don't discuss Avios, past flight, blah, blah, blah. Just ask them to add your BA membership number. For the flight already taken, login to ba.com to claim missing partner points and fill out this form: https://ba.com/travel/retropartners/...gf/?eId=191001

If you're only currently an Avios.com member, then the past flight is lost. Join BA Executive Club so you can credit the upcoming flight and then transfer Avios between BA/Avios.com
Old May 25, 2016, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Gina2003
Yes, am a BA/Avios member. I just called BA and was told I needed to contact Aer Lingus. I then called AerLingus and told I cannot earn Avios points for April nor upcoming June flight as they haven't rolled out their new membership program on Avios.

Doesn't seem quite right - 2 transatlantic flights yet cannot earn any points anywhere (I was not a member of Aer Lingus' GoldCircle before they closed down new membership).

Anyone have any luck getting credit for flights (with similar circumstances)? Thanks!
You can earn Avios through your BA Membership with Aer Lingus. I have done it for the last couple of years. As others have said, you do not earn tier points.

Separately, I've been informed by EI that I won't be able to join Aer Club (assuming it opens on 1 July) and credit my flight on 1 July as you have to have been a member of Aer Club / Gold Circle at the time of booking.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ROKNA
If you add a BA executive club number, all future flights subject to fare class will earn Avios, but not tier points unless sold under a BA code (i.e. a 125- ticket)
I submitted the missing Avios form (as poster suggested) and I have received Avios for the UK->Dublin flight on Aer Lingus but not on the Dub->BOS transatlantic (business class) portion.

I flew again in June, adding my BA # to Aer Lingus reservation. Again, only received Avios for UK->Dub portion, but not for transatlantic (Business class) leg. I will submit Missing Avios again, but don't understand why I'm having such difficulty?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

i heard from BA stating : I have checked the details we have for your booking, but I'm sorry to say the fare you paid was for a booked class that does not earn Avios or Tier Points, so I am unable to credit your account.When you fly with Aer Lingus only some fares will give you a booked class that earns Avios. You can see the list of classes which do earn Avios on ba.com. Your flight was booked in a deeply discounted class.

Hard to believe, booking/flying business class (transatlantic portion) does not earn Avios!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Did you book business class outright? (If so, please tell us what farebucket your ticket was in. It should be visible in your confirmation email).

Or did you end up in business class due to an upgrade auction, or by redeeming miles, or by getting an op-up, or by using a discount, or travelling on an award ticket or a ticket paid by someone else (possibly a prize or promotion), or something else other than paying a "normal" cash fare for a business class ticket?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

i booked business class outright via a travel agent (this was for company travel). I only have the itinerary the agent sent me which states LGW/DUB - ECONOMY and DUB/BOS PREMIUM FIRST. I received Avios for the Economy Europe portion, but not Prem First. I can contact the UK travel agent tomorrow to ask what farebucket. Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Did you book business class outright? (If so, please tell us what farebucket your ticket was in. It should be visible in your confirmation email).

Or did you end up in business class due to an upgrade auction, or by redeeming miles, or by getting an op-up, or by using a discount, or travelling on an award ticket or a ticket paid by someone else (possibly a prize or promotion), or something else other than paying a "normal" cash fare for a business class ticket?
i booked business class outright via a travel agent (this was for company travel). For the transatlantic legs, which BA will not award me points, the farebuckets were "P". I also have farebasis which were P30US, D2US and P2US.

Now what? Thanks for your help.....
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P certainly does not earn in BA's programme.

I have never heard of a "P" fare before, but I am not an expert in EI's fares! I suspect that this may be some special corporate/negotiated/tour/deeply discounted fare which, although EI may have been prepared to give Gold Circle recognition for (P does not appear on the list of excluded fare codes, which for Gold Circle on EI are W, Z, A, U and T) but were not willing to pay to have to have points/Avios/miles doled out by BA or any of the other partners.

So, in short, if you don't have a pre-existing Gold Circle account, then there is nowhere to claim miles now for these "P" sectors. (Just be thankful you got a good deal - at least, I hope the price was low!)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
P certainly does not earn in BA's programme.

I have never heard of a "P" fare before, but I am not an expert in EI's fares! I suspect that this may be some special corporate/negotiated/tour/deeply discounted fare which, although EI may have been prepared to give Gold Circle recognition for (P does not appear on the list of excluded fare codes, which for Gold Circle on EI are W, Z, A, U and T) but were not willing to pay to have to have points/Avios/miles doled out by BA or any of the other partners.

So, in short, if you don't have a pre-existing Gold Circle account, then there is nowhere to claim miles now for these "P" sectors. (Just be thankful you got a good deal - at least, I hope the price was low!)
Thanks. Curious BA did award me miles for the P fare which was DUB/EDI/DUB. Yes, wish i had a pre-existing Gold Circle account - that was really the whole problem. I didn't have one and I couldn't sign up for one as EI is in the middle of changing their program. Thanks for all of your help/guidance.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there is no economy on shorthaul so you would likely have been booked into a "high" economy class on these routes, which would then earn....

just as a guess. If you look at your detailed BA statement, it should show you exactly what class these flights were in (the illustrated example shows "Y/R" where Y means Economy Class, with "R" being the actual booking class)

Safe travels!
Attached Images  
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Credit to Asia Miles

I had a business class flight from Shannon to Boston on Aer Lingus that didn't credit to BA Avios so I credited them to the Asia Miles program. It took about 2 to 3 weeks for the miles to post after I submitted the form via fax.

Hope this helps.

Demian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.