Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Aer Lingus Bid to Upgrade Offer

Starting March 2014 Aer Lingus are offering a "bid to upgrade" offer for longhaul passengers.

Eligibility:

Only flights between Ireland, North America and Canada are eligible to be considered for an upgrade. Not all flights are automatically eligible for an upgrade. Eligible passenger will receive an email shortly after booking inviting them to make an offer.

Only bookings made via the Aer Lingus website, mobile app or via the Customer Contact Centre are currently eligible to make an offer to upgrade.

Full details are available here.
Print Wikipost

New: Make an offer to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
How soon after booking are people able to access the bidding site? I booked last night and wanted to see what the minimum bid was within the 24hr window before deciding whether to cancel my booking (US-based). No email yet, and when I go to the site (https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-b...rade-yourself/) and manually enter my PNR, I get a message saying "no space available." Does that mean there will be no upgrade offers on my flights (JFK-DUB) or just not yet?
Usually get the email within a day of the booking. Sounds like business is sold out maybe even oversold so no availability. Not sure how familiar you are with the process but the minimum bid is a set price (usually around €400 mark depending on route). You can't see any other bid that may have been made and are bidding in the dark effectively against other possible bids. Also the bidding window closes 5 days before the flight and you will only find out if you are successful maybe 24/48 hours beforehand.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
Usually get the email within a day of the booking. Sounds like business is sold out maybe even oversold so no availability. Not sure how familiar you are with the process but the minimum bid is a set price (usually around 400 mark depending on route). You can't see any other bid that may have been made and are bidding in the dark effectively against other possible bids. Also the bidding window closes 5 days before the flight and you will only find out if you are successful maybe 24/48 hours beforehand.
Flight is J7/Y7 and biz seatmap only has 3 seats occupied, so don't think oversold. Maybe it just takes a day to get into the system?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:05 am

Flight is J7/Y7 and biz seatmap only has 3 seats occupied, so don't think oversold. Maybe it just takes a day to get into the system?
Just checked some old flights there, I always got the email the next day but within 24 hours (i.e. maybe 18 hours later).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by mccartje
Just checked some old flights there, I always got the email the next day but within 24 hours (i.e. maybe 18 hours later).
Appreciate it- I'm not quite to 18hrs yet so will keep checking.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:51 am

Sometimes its a good idea to call reservations as they can offer cheap upgrades depending on the loads.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Sometimes its a good idea to call reservations as they can offer cheap upgrades depending on the loads.
How far out should this be done in your experience? This flight is 3 months out
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:05 am

How far out should this be done in your experience? This flight is 3 months out
2-3months in my experience but there is no real pattern to it. If you call and they say no then call back a month later. The last one I know of was for a MIA-DUB flight which a friend of mine upgraded last week for October. They were offered a upgrade for EUR650.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
Can you only upgrade before the journey begins? I had been hoping purchase an upgrade for the inbound flight but now that I have taken the outbound flight I see that I no longer have that option on the "Manage my booking". Dummy booking shows plenty of availability in business.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
I can answer my own question here. According to EI call centre staff, paid upgrade on inbound is not possible once you have taken the outbound flight.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:30 am

Does the phoning the reservations still works? Is they can offer better deal than on the website? Does any have any experience recently?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:10 am

If I bid on an upgrade and win, do I get the additional tier points as well or am I only given the amount for the originally booked fare class?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
If I bid on an upgrade and win, do I get the additional tier points as well or am I only given the amount for the originally booked fare class?
Only for the original fare class
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Where is this minimum bid of 400-ish? I received an "upgrade yourself" email today and minimum for each outbound and return SEA-DUB was 1070 per person. Uh, I think I'll pass Aer Lingus. With only 3 seats occupied in biz, per expert flyer, I'd think they'd be a little more flexible on the minimum bid. Especially considering they can simply decline.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by clarrkkent
Where is this minimum bid of 400-ish? I received an "upgrade yourself" email today and minimum for each outbound and return SEA-DUB was 1070 per person. Uh, I think I'll pass Aer Lingus. With only 3 seats occupied in biz, per expert flyer, I'd think they'd be a little more flexible on the minimum bid. Especially considering they can simply decline.
My thoughts exactly. Just opened the "UY" email and was suprised to see the lowest offer I could make on LAX-DUB and return was $900 and $950. Had I maybe booked the flight for $10 each way, I would have put in a bid. But my flight wasn't $10, it was $1000. Which makes it feel like EI is merely forcing you to pay what you would've paid for J had you booked that class originally... Pass.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Diamond, WOH Globalist
My mother and stepfather are going to Ireland (JFK-SNN) on EI; they bought cheap seats from an online travel agency. I wanted to upgrade them to business (both are in their late 70's) for the overnight flight to Shannon. Went to bid page but option not available- flight was only a few days away. I then realized I have a chunk of avios, and saw that 89,500 avios would move both of them to the front. Calling EI is a waste of time; I got through once, after 40 minutes (and they gave me bad advice- told me to call Avios. com, but upgrades are processed by Aer Lingus, not by Avios.com) while never got an answer on other calls. I moved the avios from BA to avios.com, sent a request via e-mail to Aer Lingus ([email protected]), and two days later (about 60 hours before the flight) voila, upgrades processed! Of course, I did look on expert flyer prior to making request- they listed 4 empty seats. Since you can turn points from Chase, Amex, Iberia, or BA into avios lots of options available.
RMDrive and mccartje like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.