Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ATH Schengen Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
But ultimately, the idea of Lufthansa turning away passengers when they are not full is bizarre since it is just extra money for them. I totally understand that they want to ensure space for their own travellers, but when the lounge would otherwise not be full, why not take the money?
Well we already got quite a good answer. If they really try to balance the load in those two lounges, it would make sence to deny access even if not crowded, as long as the A3 Lounge is 'empty' aswell. And in the picture you can clearly see that it's relativly empty in the A3 Lounge aswell .
​​​​​
Old May 30, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by vectrox
Well we already got quite a good answer. If they really try to balance the load in those two lounges, it would make sence to deny access even if not crowded, as long as the A3 Lounge is 'empty' aswell. And in the picture you can clearly see that it's relativly empty in the A3 Lounge aswell .
​​​​​
I mean, if Aegean was a part of LH group, sure, I would get it. But Aegean is a competitor as well as a partner with LH. (Compartner?) It would be a bit bizarre for A3 and LH to coordinate lounge busyness levels, since generally, competitors like to compete. If LH makes money for all of the A3 pax entering their lounge, then it doesn't seem like a typical business move to reject A3 pax outside of peak periods.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:33 am

I am Aegean gold. I was flying to Rome business class, I was accepted in Aegean loujge, and they gave me 500 award miles as 'Intra Schengen Lounge benefit'
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Chr04
I am Aegean gold. I was flying to Rome business class, I was accepted in Aegean loujge, and they gave me 500 award miles as 'Intra Schengen Lounge benefit'
As far as I understood every A3 Gold travelling to/from/via ATH gets this bonus, not just those in Eco with a compenion.
Chr04 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:28 am

I've used this lounge, I think eight times in the last couple of weeks, business class and gold and had bonus miles - 200 domestic and 500 for international on each occasion.
Chr04 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
wrong thread
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:13 am

The lounge yesterday was fantastic again, not to many people and big food and drink selection! Bravo Aegean!,
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by vectrox
As far as I understood every A3 Gold travelling to/from/via ATH gets this bonus, not just those in Eco with a compenion.
It seems that if you are on an award ticket they don't credit the miles? Is that normal?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Lightbulb Update: 26 March 2024 at 07.10 H morning : Breakfast

Sorry to resurrect this old thread,
but i thought it might be interesting to give a photographic update about the current state of affairs of the Aegean Airlines Schengen lounge at Athens airport.

Photos taken at 07.10 morning at the Schengen lounge of Aegean Airlines
- it was a zoo
- lounge has its own gents & ladies toilets
- we had to circle like vultures to find a place but eventually found an empty poof to sit on
- observation that the furniture has its quirky design that cannot cope with large influx crowds for seating
- concerning F&B: excellent options but difficult to eat & drink while standing,
balancing rucksack + dutyfree shopping bag + amphora as carry on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphora
AND traversing the morning lounge rush hour crowd on Tuesday 26 March 2024 (day after Greek Independance day)

I made some photos ....
Before anyone moans about privacy ....
i did my black mark make up stick to give everyone in the photos a moustache, beard or comedy / tragedy mask .....
You would never guess that amongst the crowds are
- one time mistress of Prince Philip
- bodydouble of Joan Collins
- incognito icons of Nana Mouskouri, Vicky Leandros & Demis Roussos (you can guess of which era i am)

* did you notice in the background that the 3rd party contract lounge "GoldAir" accepts LOT Polish (also a * carrier)

Entrance to Aegean Airlines Schengen lounge

Storage
Lockers inside the lounge

Magazine rack just off the lounge reception

Many shared tables to hot desk but also many seats taken by bags of passengers .....

This the whole extent of the floor dedicated to seating

Indeed not that many seats

But how about the food on offer for BREAKFAST at 07.10 morning

And what are the non alcoholic drink options at BREAKFAST at 07.10 ?

And how about catering to the caffeine addiction ....
The queue for coffee at 07.10 morning

Yes it is a self service Nespresso machine : business edition with pads .... fancy barista version ....
However,
The poor lady had to help everyone out who desired more than just espresso or americano ..,...

At least some cookies to garnish the coffee

As you can it is always busy at the coffee machine

But the lounge redeems itself with the alcohol available.
This was observed at BREAKFAST at 07.10 H morning
Spoiler

I hope you enjoyed this updated review of the Aegean Airlines Schengen lounge as you can get an idea what expect if you have an early flight.

Bonus
Us lot are becoming a rare breed, but as not to upset the sentiment,
Below you can find a "special" lounge ..... Yes i'm one of those that crave a nicotine machiatto for breakfast.
Location : just diagonal opposite the Aegean Airlines lounge entrance at gate B14 / B15
Spoiler

Xandrios, asf99, giorginho and 1 others like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Apr 2, 2024 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Looks like the only hope for the Lounge is the "33MAP" expansion project of the Athens Airport, which includes among other things expanding the Terminal "behind" the Intra lounge like this (the blue rectangle):

Should be done "by up to 2028", see here (link in Greek).
viennaflyer, giorginho and lio13 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:18 am

I actually shot this photo today (excuse the large size, if I scale it down you won't be able to make out anything).

I've seen this scenery a few times before of course, but it now really struck me how ridiculously small the airport (building) actually is (and how cool those very long runways look)!
And since I was, once again, on the DUS route, I can't help it but to compare the two airports, that saw similar numbers in passenger traffic pre-pandemic, while ATH is currently beating DUS in terms of traffic by a lot!
DUS layout
The design of it is also just flat-out dumb, I can count around 14 docks for aircraft there, while DUS can take more than double as many (not to mention the fact that they force you to walk around the entire terminal after clearing security, then make a 180 and basically back-track, if your flight is using a gate like 5-9!
The "finger"-like layout would have offered tons of additional space for lounges, which is the topic discussed here (and closer to the gates too).

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot! The lounge today at around 8a.m. was the most empty I've seen it in a long time! (I've "beheaded" people that could be made out, sorry if this shocks you, gotta love how my kid looks like the invisible man, just think of them as mannequins at a store's front ​​​​​​)
Dan72, DELLAS, Xandrios and 3 others like this.

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 3, 2024 at 9:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Before anyone moans about privacy ....
i did my black mark make up stick to give everyone in the photos a moustache, beard or comedy / tragedy mask .....

Originally Posted by giorginho
Edit: oh yeah, I forgot! The lounge today at around 8a.m. was the most empty I've seen it in a long time! (I've "beheaded" people that could be made out, sorry if this shocks you, gotta love how my kid looks like the invisible man, just think of them as mannequins at a store's front ​​​​​​)
IMHO, both of your approaches are considerate (and can be hilarious at the same time ) and preferable to the alternative. So many bloggers and vloggers don't even bother to blur out other people...
HadesNL and giorginho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.