Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

3 hours self-connection at ATH (separate tickets)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Flying from Beirut to Geneva via ATH on 4th September, with a 3-hour self connection (2 separate tickets). Landing in ATH at 6pm on MEA flight ME253, and continuing from ATH to GVA at 9pm on LX 1823. Quite sure this is totally fine but wanted to double check if anyone has any similar experience via ATH.

Thanks in advance,
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fil_87
wanted to double check if anyone has any similar experience via ATH
You haven't given us nearly enough information to determine whether the experience is similar or not.

Are you travelling with checked luggage?
What passport(s) are you travelling with?
ME253 is infrequent, and often late (it was 40 minutes late yesterday) - how damaging would it be if you missed the check-in deadline of your Swiss flight? Can you afford to buy a new onward ticket on the next day?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You haven't given us nearly enough information to determine whether the experience is similar or not.

Are you travelling with checked luggage?
What passport(s) are you travelling with?
ME253 is infrequent, and often late (it was 40 minutes late yesterday) - how damaging would it be if you missed the check-in deadline of your Swiss flight? Can you afford to buy a new onward ticket on the next day?
No, travelling with hand luggage only. This will allow me to check-in for my SWISS flight directly online the day before, and go straight to the gate once landed in Athens from Beirut. Holding Italian passport. Am not sure on the average waiting time for passport control in Athens (on a Sunday late afternoon) as I normally transit via Istanbul. How do you see it?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fil_87
No, travelling with hand luggage only
Then you should be OK.

I haven't transited ATH in ages so no idea what the passport control is going to be like on a Sunday evening in September, but at least with an EU passport you should be through quickly.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:21 am
Original Poster

I am happy to report that I made it. MEA flight from Beirut to Athens was on-time and I had 3 full hours to connect to my Swiss flight. Confirm Athens is a great airport to transfer due to its small size. Passport control took me literally 30 seconds, security screening less than 5 minutes.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: A3 *G
As another data point, a friend of mine recently flew into Athens from the UK and self-connected to a domestic flight. She arrived around 4am and immigration was like a zoo! It took 1hr45 to clear passport control and she made the domestic flight by seconds. So, I'm not saying it's always like that but, be prepared that it CAN get busy. I've always had good experiences, but, then again, I haven't actually left the Schengen zone for three years. A lot has changed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.