Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean converts aircraft into Cargo for China flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

AEGEAN and Hellenic Petroleum cooperate and offer together 10 flights for the transport of medical and pharmaceutical supplies.

Friday, 27-03-2020

AEGEAN and Hellenic Petroleum, cooperate and together support the current effort of the Greek State to combat the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, by operating free cargo flights for the transport of medical and pharmaceutical supplies.

AEGEAN will provide for aircraft and crew as well as other variable costs, while Hellenic Petroleum through EKO will cover the respective fuel costs.

https://en.about.aegeanair.com/media...osferoyn-mazi/
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Outstanding, shows that A3 will still be around when the dust settlles
DELLAS likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: A3 *G
Why do you say "China flights" in the title? I'd have thought these aircraft will mostly be used for moving supplies quickly around Greece as and when required. Even supplies coming in from other places in Europe are probably better handled by dedicated cargo operators in many cases.

shows that A3 will still be around when the dust settlles
I really hope so but I don't see how this shows anything, except maybe that they're making themselves 'indispensable' to the government, which is probably a good thing.

Out of interest, does anybody know which aircraft are being stripped like this? The article I read said "two A320/A321 series aircraft"
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:31 am

Judging from the seats left in the plane, these must belong to the first generation of A3 planes.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Why do you say "China flights" in the title? I'd have thought these aircraft will mostly be used for moving supplies quickly around Greece as and when required. Even supplies coming in from other places in Europe are probably better handled by dedicated cargo operators in many cases.

I really hope so but I don't see how this shows anything, except maybe that they're making themselves 'indispensable' to the government, which is probably a good thing.

Out of interest, does anybody know which aircraft are being stripped like this? The article I read said "two A320/A321 series aircraft"

AEGEAN and Hellenic Petroleum will initially offer up to 10 flights to China” as per text in article.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
AEGEAN and Hellenic Petroleum will initially offer up to 10 flights to China” as per text in article.
"AEGEAN and Hellenic Petroleum will initially offer up to 10 flights to China, Far East or other countries that produce medical and pharmaceutical materials or other necessary materials and equipment which can be carried by AEGEAN’s fleet."

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 29, 2020 at 3:03 am Reason: Remove accusatory comment - titles have length restrictions!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:08 am

The airplane SX-DND left Athens tonight and heads to Tianjin in China with a stop in Almaty Kazakhstan for refuelling.
You can follow it at flightradar
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Chr04
The airplane SX-DND left Athens tonight and heads to Tianjin in China with a stop in Almaty Kazakhstan for refuelling.
You can follow it at flightradar
Ah right, I didn't read the actual linked article as I'd already read a couple of others on the same subject. Those didn't mention that the flights were actually to China. An interesting excursion for an aircraft and crew that wouldn't normally leave Europe.

EDIT: I just saw that the same aircraft flew Athens-Mumbai non-stop last week (6hr33min) while still configures for pax. I'd guess that was a repatriation flight. Pretty impressive range. The return was via DXB.
Xandrios likes this.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 29, 2020 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:24 am

From Mumbai they brought back 5 tons of chloroquine.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...ce-from-india/
Xandrios likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Xandrios likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:17 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thats awesome.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm a little bit puzzled by all that protective gear.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm a little bit puzzled by all that protective gear.
You shouldn't be. It is protective measures. It is done under assumptions that anything has potential to be source of infection. This is only way to protect the ramp workers. Remember a report about Heathrow baggage handler being infected not long ago?

In China you have to wear a face mask to take public transportation or even go to shopping malls. Europeans and Americans may find it intrusive. But as an individual, I feel much safer to have a mask and see other people wearing a mask too. It is a personal choice. Unfortunately for those cargo loaders, the protection wear is their only choice at this moment.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
You shouldn't be. It is protective measures. It is done under assumptions that anything has potential to be source of infection. This is only way to protect the ramp workers. Remember a report about Heathrow baggage handler being infected not long ago?

In China you have to wear a face mask to take public transportation or even go to shopping malls. Europeans and Americans may find it intrusive. But as an individual, I feel much safer to have a mask and see other people wearing a mask too. It is a personal choice. Unfortunately for those cargo loaders, the protection wear is their only choice at this moment.
Actually, where I live, you are required by law to wear a face mask if you step outside your home!

I just thought it was kind of weird, considering they are handling boxes from (probably) one known source. Good point about the LHR baggage handlers though.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Could it be to protect themselves from inhaling residue from a potential harmful drug? I've never tried this drug but my impression was that most malaria drugs are quite horrible. And with the unconventional method of shipping some boxes may, theoretically, have been damaged or opened?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.