Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Earn up to 40% additional award miles offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold

EARN UP TO 40% ADDITIONAL AWARD MILES!

Buy 50,000 and earn 20,000 as a gift (1250€) until 30.08

IMO is not a bad deal...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:31 pm

Just logged into my account and saw this message. I am hoping A3 will match me into Gold (I currently have *G with Turkish). If they match me, I will likely buy miles.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
Just logged into my account and saw this message. I am hoping A3 will match me into Gold (I currently have *G with Turkish). If they match me, I will likely buy miles.
why the hope for one *A airline to match the status of another *A airline?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:58 pm

I was previously *G with A3...then I left and switched to TK *G when A3 retired the lifetime *G benefit. I now realize that A3 is a better program (TK's award miles last only 3 years & are so hard to redeem unless you book a TK award). So now i'm hoping A3 will match my *G status. If not, I'll probably switch over to A3 anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: A3*G LH*G
As a matter of policy Star Alliance airlines do not match statuses WITHIN the alliance.

Last edited by MichalB; Aug 15, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

I know, but sometimes they do.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:19 pm

A3 never does.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
A3 never does.
Do you know if I can gain Silver/Gold status by flying on Aegean award segments? For example, if I fly 15,000 miles via United (credited to A3) and 2 award segments on Aegean, will I gain Silver?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
To get silver with 12,000 miles you need two paid A3 segments.
Awards do not count, neither for first time nor for requalification.

Last edited by Chiller3333; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:38 pm

Do you know if I can gain Silver/Gold status by flying on Aegean award segments? For example, if I fly 15,000 miles via United (credited to A3) and 2 award segments on Aegean, will I gain Silver?
The idea is to have a system in which the A3 frequent flyer system will also benefit A3 and not only the program's member. If your idea were valid, Miles+Bonus would just cost them money...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'll ask the question again in the hope that someone from Aegean actually reads this forum. What the point of buying extra miles when you can't see what you can spend them on?

The search page restricts access if you don't have enough miles, but that prevents people from seeing what they could buy.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'll ask the question again in the hope that someone from Aegean actually reads this forum. What the point of buying extra miles when you can't see what you can spend them on?

The search page restricts access if you don't have enough miles, but that prevents people from seeing what they could buy.
From a systems design and cost perspective, it is cheaper to weed out award searches from accounts that dont have miles. I would speculate that M&B has a low IT budget, so they didnt go for a large scale system that can handle many award searches on starnet (star alliance partner network). They likely implemented this restriction so that only those with the miles can do the search.
I.e. analogy is, only those with a bank balance of X euros can do a test drive of a car at price Y, at a car dealership.

As long as you know and understand the rules (on a standard award, only 1 stop-over of less than 24h, no mixed cabin classes etc.) and you have the award chart, then you can replicate your searches for free on any of the top 3 good star alliance FFP websites (United, Aeroplan, ANA).
DELLAS likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 pm

The idea is to have a system in which the A3 frequent flyer system will also benefit A3 and not only the program's member. If your idea were valid, Miles+Bonus would just cost them money...
Doesn't A3 get paid from *A partners everytime you credit miles to their program? So it is to their advantage to have more active members.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:37 pm

Doesn't A3 get paid from *A partners everytime you credit miles to their program? So it is to their advantage to have more active members.
I really don't want to start, once again, the same old discussion but think that ir's not as simple as you put it. You look at the income generated (how much actually?) from miles crediting but you don't consider the cost: lounge access (own and partners'), free luggage on partners and, most importantly, "free" tickets, also and especially for *A, non-A3 flights. Just remember that the original idea of all "milesprogams" was to get frequent flyers fly their own airlines.

Your original question, in an extreme way, would imply that somebody would have the benefits of Aegean's frequent flyer program's status without ever flying them once using a regular, non-discounted ticket.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

I really don't want to start, once again, the same old discussion but think that ir's not as simple as you put it. You look at the income generated (how much actually?) from miles crediting but you don't consider the cost: lounge access (own and partners'), free luggage on partners and, most importantly, "free" tickets, also and especially for *A, non-A3 flights. Just remember that the original idea of all "milesprogams" was to get frequent flyers fly their own airlines.

Your original question, in an extreme way, would imply that somebody would have the benefits of Aegean's frequent flyer program's status without ever flying them once using a regular, non-discounted ticket.
1> I don't think there is any lounge reimbursement between *A members. On United flights within the US, the lounge receptionist will usually scan my boarding pass, but will rarely ever scan my guest's boarding pass. If there was a reimbursement, I think United would make it a policy to scan all passes to ensure they are getting reimbursed for all guests. Many subsidiary *A airlines also impose further restrictions (e.g. Olympic Air coded flights refusing *G access). Why would they do this if they can get reimbursed? On international flights - often, I just show my *A gold card and get into *A lounges without any scanning of my boarding pass as well.

2> Free luggage - this was always free until about 9-10 years ago, so I'm not so sure that *A partners are charging member alliance airlines when *G members use this benefit.

3> The "free" tickets you're referring to - I am 100% sure this is a win-win for all parties. When I fly United and credits to A3, A3 receives a fee. Given that most flyers won't redeem miles for years - this is essentially an interest free loan to them. The actual "free" tickets, when redeemed, are heavily discounted. That's why there are so many restrictions. A3 only allows you to redeem *G flights that will net a profit for them. The same applies to all the airlines. *A members open award space because they know that these seats will go unsold - that's why there is really very little incremental costs to opening the award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.