Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auctioning of business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, a reminder that we debate the issue here, not the person. This discussion has turned too far towards the latter. Pull back, please.

/mod
East_and_West likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:54 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
As an A3*G member increased miles to Business Class rates would definitely make the auction more attractive because there isn't much else that appeals to me for the price, but if I were a little short of qualification miles the upgrade might make all the difference. Does anyone from Aegean read this forum!?
there are many airlines in Europe crediting the mile for initial booking class despite being upgraded... AZ and LOT from my recent experience
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
As an A3 newbie, just got my first bids accepted for WAW-ATH-WAW (min. bid of €50 for each)... only to find that A3 awards miles according to the original booking class.

Foolish of me to believe that their Plusgrade equivalent might work the same way as it does on SK and LH!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That is as expected though. And i have to say that 50 euro on that route is pretty good! You’ll get the full business experience on the ground (lounge, priority) and in flight (including the same meals one would get on the longer flights).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That is as expected though. And i have to say that 50 euro on that route is pretty good! You’ll get the full business experience on the ground (lounge, priority) and in flight (including the same meals one would get on the longer flights).
True. And the other advantage is that I can access the lounges without having to show my KF Gold Card, and thereby avoid the risk of the lounge dragon changing the FFP without telling me (which happened to me at WAW recently).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
True. And the other advantage is that I can access the lounges without having to show my KF Gold Card, and thereby avoid the risk of the lounge dragon changing the FFP without telling me (which happened to me at WAW recently).
EUR50 for that sector is exceptional value. The lowest I ever got with SK was EUR65 for a shorter sector and although it earned miles at double rate the onboard product is of course inferior to what A3 offer and often with no lounge either. If they had 2 x miles it would be too good to be true.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELLAS
If they had 2 x miles it would be too good to be true.
On a 50 EUR bid upgrade, perhaps. I'm not so sure though, the additional miles would not cost them much.

For *G members these upgrades are not so attractive, if you're getting the extra baggage, lounge, and priority benefits anyway. I can't imagine a reason why I would want to bid for an upgrade unless I were short of miles and the upgrade offered more. As it is, that's not going to happen. I'll stick to the upgrade coupons thank you very much.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
...but to use the upgrade coupons you'll have to spend anywhere between 35 and 60 euro to buy up from Light to Flex. Plus the coupon itself (which has a value too).

The nice thing of these upgrades is that they can be applied to the cheapest light fare. While the coupons cannot. Of course, if you have to book flex anyway (or book a higher fare class because the flights are full) then the coupons may come out cheaper - but in some cases I would think that these buy ups are right up there in value
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:21 am

...but to use the upgrade coupons you'll have to spend anywhere between 35 and 60 euro to buy up from Light to Flex. Plus the coupon itself (which has a value too).

The nice thing of these upgrades is that they can be applied to the cheapest light fare. While the coupons cannot. Of course, if you have to book flex anyway (or book a higher fare class because the flights are full) then the coupons may come out cheaper - but in some cases I would think that these buy ups are right up there in value
This is a very good point. I booked the Go Light fares, which were as cheap as chips, so it does seem I got a decent deal with those €50 upgrades. I haven't yet earned any upgrade coupons so have not been aware of this.
Normally, as a *G I only bid for upgrades on EU flights to get the extra mileage (I do this with SK to get 200%, for instance), but what you say above means I might try again in future.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
EUR50 for that sector is exceptional value. The lowest I ever got with SK was EUR65 for a shorter sector and although it earned miles at double rate the onboard product is of course inferior to what A3 offer and often with no lounge either. If they had 2 x miles it would be too good to be true.
Beginner's luck?

The online option is relatively new, isn't it, so maybe people will get good deals until they tune the parameters to be a bit stricter. SK used to be a good deal on Plusgrade but then they changed to make it often ridiculously expensive (for my ARN-HKG flight, the minimum upgrade bid from Plus to Biz was greater than the cash difference in flight tickets which were still available for direct booking!).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

Yes, it depends when you book the flights. Obviously if you're booking months ahead the fare will still be in the non-upgradable fare buckets, but if you're actually booking closer to the flights the upgrade using the coupons is virtually free.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:51 pm

Does anybody have any indication on what defines the eligibility of the upgrade? I have 3 upcoming flights in Y (all international to/from ATH) but when I try my booking codes @ the webpage I get the message that my flight is not eligible. Booked in T, S, L.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Does anybody have any indication on what defines the eligibility of the upgrade? I have 3 upcoming flights in Y (all international to/from ATH) but when I try my booking codes @ the webpage I get the message that my flight is not eligible. Booked in T, S, L.
I think it depends more on the route. I currently have 3 LUX sectors and 1 IST sector that are available for bids, but my 3 LHR sectors are not. Also EDI is unavailable but I don't think they have a Business cabin on that route. All flights are in 'P' class.

I don't think they will offer these upgrades on the routes where they know they can sell the seats in J.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:29 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
I have a question as well... im planning my trip to KRK and I see that in Economy I can book seat 1A, but in the same time they are selling biz tickets on that specific flight. If I have a ticket in Economy, K/S booking class, and I redeem an upgrade voucher and noone is buying a biz class ticket, what is the possibility that A3 will not accept my upgrade request? I am asking because somehow it makes sense not to accept it, it will be weird to block biz cabin just for a pax whos using a voucher to upgrade...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by GBobon
I have a question as well... im planning my trip to KRK and I see that in Economy I can book seat 1A, but in the same time they are selling biz tickets on that specific flight. If I have a ticket in Economy, K/S booking class, and I redeem an upgrade voucher and noone is buying a biz class ticket, what is the possibility that A3 will not accept my upgrade request? I am asking because somehow it makes sense not to accept it, it will be weird to block biz cabin just for a pax whos using a voucher to upgrade...
I think you're mistaken. KRK is economy class only. I'm pretty certain I've been the only pax. in C class when using an upgrade voucher - but I don't remember when. It was either DUB (in the first summer when they actually had C class) or WAW.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Apr 23, 2018 at 5:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.