Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auctioning of business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Data point:
ATH-CFU upgraded with the minimum bid (2x 40€), email arrived ~74h earlier. For the extra luggage alone worth it, though we also have 3h waiting in ATH, so better to sit around in the lounge than wonder around for so long.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Checked what the min bid on my upcoming flights MUC HER (approx 2h45m) would be: an eye popping 100€. I guess my price points have been spoiled by 50/65€ min bids on SK/LH/AI plusgrade in 2021 (which were accepted each time). The otherwise spectacular inflight catering is probably not worth that much… the luggage allowance unique to A3 would have tilted the balance if I had the need.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Checked what the min bid on my upcoming flights MUC HER (approx 2h45m) would be: an eye popping 100€. I guess my price points have been spoiled by 50/65€ min bids on SK/LH/AI plusgrade in 2021 (which were accepted each time). The otherwise spectacular inflight catering is probably not worth that much… the luggage allowance unique to A3 would have tilted the balance if I had the need.
You get what you pay for. With LH 65€ you get the sandwich ala Tasting Heimat . In all seriousness I agree with you. The minimum bit is too expensive.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by ermis177
You get what you pay for. With LH 65€ you get the sandwich ala Tasting Heimat . In all seriousness I agree with you. The minimum bit is too expensive.
The benefit is higher without status (Prio ground benefits and lounge). If I recall correctly you also get the miles for business if upgraded on some Miles & More carriers such as LH.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:27 am

HAM-ATH min bid of 95€ (no judgement please, I don't have *A status ) went through 99h before the flight.
Seems Y was overbooked or just full and C had 3 more seats, which probably helped(?).
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by jj_lgkr
HAM-ATH min bid of 95€ (no judgement please, I don't have *A status ) ...
I don't believe status has anything to do with the minimum bid, I have Aegean's gold status and for DUS-ATH I also get a minimum bid of 95€ (all year round) since a year or so ago... I've actually been upgraded a couple of times by bidding the then bare minimum of 65 to 75 EUR, but these days are now gone...
I personally wouldn't pay that price now for the upgrade, unless there was a very important reason for me to do so.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:22 am

Yeah the "no judgment please" was more in the direction of "why would I pay that insane amount", but as I said for me without *A status, a need for luggage and coming from an ultra-cheap Light original ticket it seemed fair enough.
giorginho likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
MXP-ATH A3 663 (the late night departure 2215) for €75 (min bid) some 100 hours out... Cabin looked empty when I assigned myself a seat...
Needed the full three bag allowance so we'll worth the upgrade...
Old Aug 6, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
As an A3G, I don't find a good reason to bid for an upgrade.
ariadgr_ likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
IMO there are 2 good reasons to bid for upgrades as an A3G :

- You might not have enough coupons for upgrade, depending how often you travel.
- Bid for upgrades are served first. If business class availability is very limited, you get a better chance not to fly economy.
romans and giorginho like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
IMO there are 2 good reasons to bid for upgrades as an A3G :

- You might not have enough coupons for upgrade, depending how often you travel.
- Bid for upgrades are served first. If business class availability is very limited, you get a better chance not to fly economy.
What I meant is that actually you bid for a blocked middle seat and the food.
ariadgr_ likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ntzanos
don't forget about More baggage allowance Up to 2 free pieces of baggage, 32 kg each & priority baggage handling.
SK likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by romans
don't forget about More baggage allowance Up to 2 free pieces of baggage, 32 kg each & priority baggage handling.
You are right about the baggage. You only get 23kg as a A3G which includes priority baggage handling.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ntzanos
And drinks, and service, which is much better ... Would you enjoy an ouzo in economy class ? ;-)
ntzanos likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
And drinks, and service, which is much better ... Would you enjoy an ouzo in economy class ? ;-)
​​​​​I just don't think that bidding for business class is worth the money. It's cheaper to buy ouzo at the airport 🙂
I do love the hot towel though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.