Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Dan72
I recently flew BEY-ATH-EVN. Both occasions chose seats in the free area at the back. But on transferring at Athens was offered (unprompted) a move to an emergency exit. Perhaps they are trying to manage the level of A3 gold irritation.
It has happened to me as well. But I think this was done for safety reasons rather than because A3 was concerned about A3*Gs irritation... There would have been plenty of much easier and straightforward ways to deal with that if they cared Most likely nobody was willing to pay 16 euro (or whatever is they needed to pay) to get more legroom on a 1.5hr flight. Somebody was required to sit by the emergency exit, and they chose you.

There is good reason why even LCCs free up these seats on OLCI a couple of hours before departure, if they are still unoccupied. Which is yet another signal of how sloppily implemented this new seating policy is...
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by East_and_West

It has happened to me as well. But I think this was done for safety reasons rather than because A3 was concerned about A3*Gs irritation... There would have been plenty of much easier and straightforward ways to deal with that if they cared Most likely nobody was willing to pay 16 euro (or whatever is they needed to pay) to get more legroom on a 1.5hr flight. Somebody was required to sit by the emergency exit, and they chose you.

There is good reason why even LCCs free up these seats on OLCI a couple of hours before departure, if they are still unoccupied. Which is yet another signal of how sloppily implemented this new seating policy is...
I'm not aware that there's any requirement to have somebody sat in each emergency exit row (although I guess it would make sense if there were, so I see your point). I've been on several A3 flight where at least one set of three was totally empty and one I remember in particular where I was the only person in any of the 12 exit-row seats.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:25 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I'm not aware that there's any requirement to have somebody sat in each emergency exit row (although I guess it would make sense if there were, so I see your point). I've been on several A3 flight where at least one set of three was totally empty and one I remember in particular where I was the only person in any of the 12 exit-row seats.
Might be airline-specific, but at least BA and Wizz have this policy - I was requested to move to Emergency Exits on both carriers.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Might be airline-specific, but at least BA and Wizz have this policy - I was requested to move to Emergency Exits on both carriers.
AZ has the same modus-operandi as per above.

G
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:32 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
it seems to be specific for A3 as well, I was moved on a seat at emergency exit, on all 4 seats next to exit rows were moved some pax, at the gate. each of us had 3 seats for our own
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:30 am
J S

I am traveling on A3, party of 4 (2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant). I have problem getting the fourth seat assignment.

Back story: I wanted a seat for the infant and was told that, to get this, I had to book a lap child online, then call and purchase an extra seat (the way you would buy an extra seat for a large musical instrument), so I did. I also paid 5 euros each to reserve seats for the 2 adults and child. When I asked to reserve a seat next to us for the infant, I was told that I could not pre-reserve a seat for the "extra seat until I got to the airport. Any ideas?

I am happy to pay the 5 euros to reserve the seat. I get that if I was just bringing a cello on the plane, it would be fine for it to be in a different row, but not sure I would be doing any other pax a favor by seating an infant next to them.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

HAHAHA!!! Fourth time in as many flights, certainly a repeating pattern: ZRH-HER, assigned 2D (no business classs in this flight). +
Arrivals likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
Originally Posted by KLouis
HAHAHA!!! Fourth time in as many flights, certainly a repeating pattern: ZRH-HER, assigned 2D (no business classs in this flight). +
you don't preselect a seat in the booking online before checkin to get an assigned seat ?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:09 am

Well, if you pre-select a seat you will get the pre-selected seat. If not, perhaps you get something in the front.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
How has the load been on these flights? I do find it somewhat risky as I can imagine that you may get a middle seat with no option to move if the flight is full..
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Well, if you pre-select a seat you will get the pre-selected seat. If not, perhaps you get something in the front.
So... If you pre-select a seat for free during the booking, you eliminate your chances of getting "upgraded"? I hope this isn't the case, would be so counter-intuitive.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:44 am

I think it's obvious: If you pre-select a seat, you will get the seat you pre-selected. Otherwise, you are "assigned a random seat" (let's not go towards "upgraded" yet). Actually, I realized that if you checkin online at T-48 most seats are still available, so pre-selection of standards seats is really a not so useful perk.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:45 am

ΟΚ, here's my case in detail:

Before the they started the seat reservation for money scheme I always OLCId at T-48 and I always (!) selected the first C or D seat behind the curtain.

After the new scheme: At the very beginning (late February-early March) I always got assigned aisle seats in the back and on two occasions (for reasons that have nothing to do with A3) I did change them to the front by paying 2€ each. Then, a couple of weeks ago I automatically got assigned seats in the front (see my posts #248 and #254 ), both on domestic flights that were part of a longer itin with the second legs upgraded with coupons. True for both myself and my wife, on the same PNR. A few days ago on a one-segment itin, HER-ATH, I was assigned a seat in the front, again without any intervention on my side (e.g. pre-selection, reservation, etc., post #269 ). Finally, I OLCId my flight tomorrow at T-48 and got the 2D seat mentioned, again full automatically without any intervention on my side.

@Xandrios: In 2 out of 3 cases there were still empty seats, one flight was packed and I don't know about tomoroow.

My conclusion: This is certainly related to my *G status, and it must be due to some gold-"favouring" change in A3's IT after the protests that reached them. I can't see another reason why I am flying in the front for free now while in March that was not possible. Of course I'm very happy about that, I just hope that I'm right in my assumption, though. I'll post again in this matter if I notice a change of the "new policy".

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 14, 2018 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
If you pre-select, do they move you to the front at OLCI? Or do they seatmap frees up?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
If you pre-select, do they move you to the front at OLCI? Or do they seatmap frees up?
As I wrote in earlier posts, I've NEVER pre-selected anything. I just booked and then days later, I OLCId and got my front seats. I simply can't offer an opinion on what happens after the pre-selection of seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.