Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:22 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Would be nice if the "random" system could be tweaked to focus on aisle or window seats
If it would work as you want, will someone pay for a middle seat? A3 is giving for free something nobody will pay for and keep ”sellable” product for people who wish to pay for a window seat
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:06 am

I'm Aegean Gold member.
The last 6 checkins I had, the system gives either 4B or 4E. Always.
And if I choose the A or C (etc), it asks for money.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Argyris
Another data point: I have a codeshare flight on Aegean metal, originally booked through LH. During the OLCI the system assigned me 24D.
On the return flight (MUC-SKG) system reserved 3B for me. I asked the agents at the gate if they could move me to a window/aisle seat.
Firstly, they offered me a seat at the emergency exit (for free) which I declined, and then happily moved me to an aisle seat.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Couple of days ago on a busy all coach ATH-DUB flight I was also randomly given 3B. As I am only Silver I had to pay the full amount for changing seats (or selecting for free a seat from row 14). I asked at the baggage drop-off to change seats and got 14C.

Once on the plane after boarding was completed I noticed that in front of me the seats 12A through E (exit row) where free. I asked if I could move forward but this was kindly declined because these seats are "special". They remained unoccupied for the duration of the flight (I thought for safety reasons in every exit there should be at least one passenger able to quickly open the door in case of emergency).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Well, I realised last week than on Flights operated by olympics (international route) was possible to book for free an exist row or first row.
I did it and amount was 0.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by DUBBRU
They remained unoccupied for the duration of the flight (I thought for safety reasons in every exit there should be at least one passenger able to quickly open the door in case of emergency).
Yes that's what I said a few posts above you

Originally Posted by frenchft
Well, I realised last week than on Flights operated by olympics (international route) was possible to book for free an exist row or first row.
I did it and amount was 0.
Were you on a connecting flight in C?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Exactly, in your case cabin crew acted as per safety requirements

In my flight they decided to leave the emergency exit vacant.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by :D!

Were you on a connecting flight in C?
yes.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:42 am

Exactly, in your case cabin crew acted as per safety requirements

In my flight they decided to leave the emergency exit vacant.
If someones does not speak English, too old, too young, not enough in good physical condition they remove pax from exit rows. They need people to be able to understand the safety orders in English and to open the door and move fast. This is why when seated in those seats luggage on the floor are not allowed and recline neither for reactivity in case of emergency and not to obstruct the way to the exit door.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Regarding this 'sticking you in B or E seats', it's pretty dire. I'm sticking with my (free!) pre-selected 14A and done with it! Much better to know that I'm in a window seat than being dumped in the middle seat!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:51 am

Couple of days ago on a busy all coach ATH-DUB flight I was also randomly given 3B. As I am only Silver I had to pay the full amount for changing seats (or selecting for free a seat from row 14). I asked at the baggage drop-off to change seats and got 14C.

Once on the plane after boarding was completed I noticed that in front of me the seats 12A through E (exit row) where free. I asked if I could move forward but this was kindly declined because these seats are "special". They remained unoccupied for the duration of the flight (I thought for safety reasons in every exit there should be at least one passenger able to quickly open the door in case of emergency).
AFAIK the requirement for A3 is that regulations are there to determine who can sit there not if someone should sit there. Do you have a link to the new rules that exit rows on A3 should be occupied?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
AFAIK the requirement for A3 is that regulations are there to determine who can sit there not if someone should sit there. Do you have a link to the new rules that exit rows on A3 should be occupied?
I was not aware that EU carriers can have different rules to the ones laid down by the EU. According to Reg. 2016/1199 "All emergency exits, including crew emergency exits, and any door, window or other opening suitable to be used for the purpose of underwater escape shall be equipped so as to be operable in an emergency."

To my experience it is common practice among carriers, including LCCs, to always have at least one passenger by the emergency exit. I did not complain that I was not moved to a seat I haven't paid for, crew could had moved any passenger from the "special" (sic) rows 1-10 to 12A.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
I was not aware that EU carriers can have different rules to the ones laid down by the EU. According to Reg. 2016/1199 "All emergency exits, including crew emergency exits, and any door, window or other opening suitable to be used for the purpose of underwater escape shall be equipped so as to be operable in an emergency."

To my experience it is common practice among carriers, including LCCs, to always have at least one passenger by the emergency exit. I did not complain that I was not moved to a seat I haven't paid for, crew could had moved any passenger from the "special" (sic) rows 1-10 to 12A.
A quick google search yielded the following document: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...2017-012-R.pdf

Not sure what it is exactly, but if you search for the phrase "emergency exit", it gives some insight, including the following:

The update of AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.165 is based on a request by the European Commission to address the absence of a specific regulatory reference requiring the seat rows with direct access to emergency exits to be occupied during taxiing, take-off and landing by passengers or crew members.
[...]
The practice of leaving the emergency exit seat row empty poses the following risks:
[...list of points...]
My understanding from this is that there is no EU regulation that requires emergency exit occupancy, but that it will (should?) be introduced at some point- But I could be wrong, not sure how the European Aviation Safety Agency operates and what the document means exactly.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by blackball

My understanding from this is that there is no EU regulation that requires emergency exit occupancy, but that it will (should?) be introduced at some point-
That is my understanding also. Individual Aviation authorities still had the say over this matter. Some years back when Ryanair started charging for Exit seats the Irish Aviation Authority ruled that they had to seat people in exit rows after boarding free of charge if they were empty. That only applied to Irish registered aircraft being a local decision. Personally I think its a good rule but we must also be careful not to suggest A3 is breaking any rules unless we have factual evidence to back it up.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS
That is my understanding also. Individual Aviation authorities still had the say over this matter. Some years back when Ryanair started charging for Exit seats the Irish Aviation Authority ruled that they had to seat people in exit rows after boarding free of charge if they were empty. That only applied to Irish registered aircraft being a local decision. Personally I think its a good rule but we must also be careful not to suggest A3 is breaking any rules unless we have factual evidence to back it up.
I didn't suggest any bad intention or malevolent misconduct from A3's side and I didn't push to be "upgraded", if this term actually exists in a coach flight.

On the other hand, one of the reasons that the European regulation of 965/2012 that lays down the basic safety framework and is the core of the European executive agency for aviation safety (EASA) was amended in 2016 with the 2016/1199 regulation was a better definition on emergency equipment and operation. Still, the regulation is not that clear and EASA drafted an opinion (quoted by blackball) to ensure full alignment with ICAO and is expected to be in force next year perhaps? (things are going very slowly in European lawmaking).

Again, from personal experience I've noticed that carriers tend to seat people in emergency exits if vacant, but as you say it is perhaps internal wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.