Search

Where would you go in Feb?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Where would you go in Feb?

Hi there,

I'm looking at booking something to get my 4 segments (and see somewhere new hopefully), my partner is pregnant and I read the optimal time to travel is around the middle of the pregnancy, which would be mid-February. Is there anywhere on Aegean/OA that people would particularly recommend in Feb? We've been to Athens before (but obviously dont mind connecting there), and went to Corfu last year in September (which was excellent). I was thinking maybe another Island, or possibly Cyprus, but as I guess it's low season everywhere I'd like to defer with somebody with some local knowledge.

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:03 am

Heraklion (everything's open including Archeological Museum, Knossos and Phaestos, bars, eateries, and beaches for those who are nor afraid of the weather); Chania (almost everything's open, great city, great nature, bars, restaurants, but no worthwhile antiquities), Thessaloniki (everything'a open, more museums than Heraklion, bars, restaurants, everything a big city has).

I guess others can speak for Rhodes and Mytilini.

You see, I'm suggesting relatively big cities (you've been to Corfu) although some smaller ones (e.g. Ioannina, Kavala) also have their charm...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:06 am

Cyprus would be good although you can never guarantee the weather I have always been lucky off season. You can hire a car and go to Nicosia ( maybe cross the line ) to the Turkish side. Its quite interesting. Also head to the Troodos mountains. Or you could head over to Paphos and stay at the Aphrodite Hills resort if its a more relaxing trip you want but with some luxury.

http://www.aphroditehills.com/Aphrodite-hills/
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Blue
Perhaps somewhere further afield?

The flight times aren't great, and I don't know what passport/visa issues you might face, but what about Tehran and seeing a bit of Iran, like Shiraz/Persepolis and Esfahan? If you had a bit more than a week, say eight or nine days, you'd have a great time. And oddly, perhaps the fact that your partner might not be drinking mid-pregnancy makes this more appealing?

Also consider Tbilisi, which has great food, gorgeous countryside and wonderful people but will be quite cold in February (a shame to go and not try its amazing wines, though). Warmer still, with perhaps more to see if you're into history - Tel Aviv or Amman?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm not sure about the other suggestions, but I was in Cyprus last February and it was quite pleasant, sunny during the day but the air was a bit chilly in the evening (although still fine if you put on a light jacket). Larnaca was fine, but one day I took the bus down to Limassol which was more interesting.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm going to do a bit of investigating on each and will hopefully come up with a good plan.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:37 am

Personally, I would pick a tiny island community. But I don't know how important a good hospital is for your quietude.

Which is a reason i wouldn't go to Iran or Tbilisi. Not that they have bad doctors, but I'd be wary of navigating the system in case something urgent comes up.

Last edited by sokolov; Dec 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:59 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sokolov
Personally, I would pick a tiny island community. But I don't know how important a good hospital is for your quietude.

Which is a reason i wouldn't go to Iran or Tbilisi. Not that they have bad doctors, but I'd be weary of navigating the system in case something urgent comes up.
I think you mean wary rather than weary...

I agree though, when my wife is pregnant we will be trying to avoid travelling anywhere that we wouldn't want the baby to be born. Medical care is one thing, but unless you are from a country where citizenship is passed down continually no matter what, that's another thing to think about.

What is the rationale for the "middle" of the pregnancy (I guess referring to the 2nd trimester) being the best time to travel? Surely the "best" time to travel is when not pregnant or when not noticeably pregnant.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
What is the rationale for the "middle" of the pregnancy (I guess referring to the 2nd trimester) being the best time to travel? Surely the "best" time to travel is when not pregnant or when not noticeably pregnant.
From what I read it refers to the first trimester being when nausea is worst and the third when fatigue and general discomfort is worst (and wanting to stay close to home near the end). Obviously not being pregnant would be nicer for travel (and we'd be able to go on our planned trip to Columbia in January) but that isn't really an option now
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:53 am

I'm flying to Beirut with A3. I guess it would be fun!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
You guess?!?!?! It WILL be fun ^ ^ If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by HanDaniel
I'm flying to Beirut with A3. I guess it would be fun!
I'm sure you will have a great time. Lots to see and do and great food.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by ob7777777
Hi there,

I'm looking at booking something to get my 4 segments (and see somewhere new hopefully), my partner is pregnant and I read the optimal time to travel is around the middle of the pregnancy, which would be mid-February. Is there anywhere on Aegean/OA that people would particularly recommend in Feb? We've been to Athens before (but obviously dont mind connecting there), and went to Corfu last year in September (which was excellent). I was thinking maybe another Island, or possibly Cyprus, but as I guess it's low season everywhere I'd like to defer with somebody with some local knowledge.

Thanks!
i would very warmly recommend cyprus. You can do your four segments on one trip by connecting in Athens, spend some time in the Aegean lounge where they have thematic food/wine offerings every month.

Cyprus is also small enough to be easily accessible, car rentals are cheap and the hospitality of its people is amazing! I lived in Nicosia a few years, and the old town is very pretty with good restaurants and one feels very safe there. There is also the possibility of crossing to the invaded north where the Buyuk Han is worth a visit as is the ghost town of Famagusta (Ammochostos / Magusa) with interesting architecture. The mountains of Cyprus are also very beautiful and there are many gorgeous mountain villages with very good hotels and amazing food (Kakopetria is one of my favourites where one can sleep in the Mill Hotel and fall asleep to the soothing sound of a small waterfall).

If, God forbid, health care is needed, affordable top care hospitals are available in Nicosia and the food! I gained 10 kg living in Cyprus and there are also some producers of wine, for instance the small Makkas and Hadjiantonas winery that also accepts visits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.