Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Internal flights within Greece no *A recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internal flights within Greece no *A recognition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
...All the other A3 domestic routes, including HER, RHO, JTR, JMK and SKG (maybe others) are still marketed as A3.
RHO-HER is also one of them and there is certainly no competition from Ryanair or anybody else for that matter. Unless Sky Express flies the route too, but they a) don't fly it daily and b) they're usually more expensive than A3/OA.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
As for inconsistency, other than LH and LX, here are four more of the *A biggies with their non-*A daughters:

SQ - Silkair (no *A miles)
TG - Thaismile, Nok air
TK - Sun Express (with Lufthansa!!!)
AV - TACA (yes, they still exist outside *A, I flew them last year)

Of course, you have the right to be unsatisfied with the service provided by A3 (I am, actually, rather satisfied, also my right ). But other than the statement that the majority of their FAs speak an incomprehensible English you really don't cite any real examples (by the way, I honestly think you're exaggerating as A3's FAs do speak much better English than most FAs at TK or TG). Indeed, A3's site isn't the best (but which one is?). Agreed, multi city is not a feature that works all the time (see the relevant thread for the explanation) and neither does open jaw, but since one-ways are usually 50% of the return tickets, this is not such a big problem. Finally, rather than complaining for shortages at *A, which really couldn't care less, you should point to A3 the problems that you've encountered. Who knows, they may be willing to improve things.

Now, back to the A3 flights operated by OA, but in reality by A3. It is a fact that, at first glance, this doesn't make much sense. Why should a flight ATH-CFU or RHO-HER be officially OA yes be flown by A3 metal? Clearly, this has nothing to do with the few miles that are saved when non-M+B *A frequent flyers don't get any. My guess is that, in contrast, this has something to do with the conditions imposed by the EU for the merger of the two airlines. Of course, I could be wrong, perhaps somebody who knows will let us know one day.
I think you are right -EU required

service reps on A3 is as good as many other airline call centers - I live in Greece ( not Greek) and if everything was as good as A3 this would be a fantastic place

ever think maybe we have the funny accent - try speaking Greek and tell me if they have accent
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
OA is not a star alliance airlines so i don't see the problem here... The same you can't credit OA miles on another star alliance program (exemple TK lists the flights with OA and mention that you can't credit).

Sounds logical anyway
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stripakis
For example, if you try to book a ticket from CFU to ATH, whether operated by A3 or OA metal, you only have the choice of the two ff programmes for Aegean and Olympic. This is absurd, especially for flights operated by A3 and marketed and sold on the A3 website.

Does anyone know a way around?
This is not true! Why do you have to book your flight at the A3 website? And why can you not just leave the FFP blank if you must book via the A3 website, and add it later/retroclaim after the flight?

However, I suspect that the A3 website only allows the entering of a Miles+Bonus number when the flights in question are only available as codeshares on Olympic. In this case, the only FFP that can earn is Miles+Bonus. Therefore, there is no point in offering you the chance to add a different *A programme number - it simply will never earn.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 15, 2016 at 8:23 am
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:50 pm

This is not only for flights within Greece. I've seen this "Aegean for Olympic" trick on an LCA-ATH flight. I can't see how the EU would mandate such dirty tricks on that route.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
This is not only for flights within Greece. I've seen this "Aegean for Olympic" trick on an LCA-ATH flight. I can't see how the EU would mandate such dirty tricks on that route.
When was that? All flights ATH-LCA offered through OA's booking engine are bona fide A3 flights, i.e. not even code-shared with OA.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
When was that? All flights ATH-LCA offered through OA's booking engine are bona fide A3 flights, i.e. not even code-shared with OA.
I was looking up itineraries for late November.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:00 pm

I retract my earlier statement. Apparently, I confused that with an SKG-ATH itinerary.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:18 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sokolov
I retract my earlier statement. Apparently, I confused that with an SKG-ATH itinerary.
Which, actually, makes it an even more interesting development. SKG is an important route for A3, it's one of the relatively few airports it maintains a lounge in, and therefore you might conclude it has a significant proportion of business traffic.

If even that is being moved to OA, are we seeing the start of a situation where OA will be the domestic brand, and A3 purely the international one, in line with what TG have done with ThaiSmiles and SQ with Silkair?

In most situations, that would make sense - domestic prices are generally quite low, and you can see why the A3 group might want to control costs on those. Might the overall cost of servicing a *G with extra checked luggage and payment to their own FFP not be offset by the fee for lounge access (which in itself only applies to a few places)?

There has certainly also been no movement on combining the operating licences, or integrating OA into *A.

Nothing conclusive - but there is growing evidence something is afoot, for sure.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:25 am

I just checked the November flights to/from HER. They're also "operated" by OA. Indeed, it seems like they're going to have OA as the domestic airline. let's see whether this will be followed by changes in M+B as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.