Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:43 am

I tried, twice. They can send me the ticket, but they cannot make the itinerary appear on My Booking.

Shuly
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:04 pm

I want to book ATH to IST with Aegean then IST to KUL with Thai on separate tickets.
Will I be able to connect my luggage since these are both star alliance members?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:13 pm

In most cases, the CI agents will do this for you, although they don't have to. Since you'll only find out at the airport, you must be prepared for that dreaded case. This means that, unless you have a long time cushion for your connection in IST (i.e. get through immigration, enough time to retrieve your luggage, re-check it, and go through security and immigration), you may get into big trouble! There are, though, two conditions that you have to have satisfied before even trying in ATH: a) have the boarding card for your connection flight through OLCI and b) have a visa for Turkiye (if you need one) in case the A3 agent will not do this for you. Finally, welcome to FT!
furbygr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:54 am

A couple of years ago I had a negative experience in that respect, in a similar situation. My first ticket was FRA-LHR with Lufthansa and the onwards LHR-BKK with Thai. Then, on a separate ticket, I had booked BKK-DPS again on Thai. Even though the 2nd flight was in first class (the rest in business) and I actually went to LH's first class check-in at FRA, they wouldn't through-check my bags to DPS. They told me I could speak to Thai's check-in staff at LHR, but I failed to recognise, then still lacking the experience or knowledge myself, that this was utter BS! Of course the LHR staff couldn't do anything about it either (it's not like the bags were picked up at LHR, I mean: duh!) so I had to pick them up at BKK, which costed us a bit less than an hour in the amazing F lounge there.

I now know this was a prime example of the German philosophy : "You're annoying me with your request, so I'll tell you (and pretend) it's not my job and off you go, be someone else's problem".

I have found Aegean's staff to be far more willing to (at least try to) accommodate requests, but nothing is certain...
It could have something to do with the individual destination and its requirements, so it might actually be impossible for some of them (but that's different than the "oh, ask the next guy" response).
furbygr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
In most cases, the CI agents will do this for you, although they don't have to. Since you'll only find out at the airport, you must be prepared for that dreaded case. This means that, unless you have a long time cushion for your connection in IST (i.e. get through immigration, enough time to retrieve your luggage, re-check it, and go through security and immigration), you may get into big trouble! There are, though, two conditions that you have to have satisfied before even trying in ATH: a) have the boarding card for your connection flight through OLCI and b) have a visa for Turkiye (if you need one) in case the A3 agent will not do this for you. Finally, welcome to FT!
thanks. I am actually an old member but for a reason I cannot post when log in with my FB account
I was thinking of this, best way is to call the airport but most probably they won't answer. So I need a 3 hour minimum layover.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I would like to modify an existing reservation with Aegean to remove the A3 FF number so I can retrocredit it in a few weeks time (in order to align tier renewal dates, since it will be a silver->gold upgrade). Both the website and app don't seem to allow me to do this. Does anyone know a way to do this ? I guess I will have to call the contact centre and cannot do this online?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by fets_be
I would like to modify an existing reservation with Aegean to remove the A3 FF number so I can retrocredit it in a few weeks time (in order to align tier renewal dates, since it will be a silver->gold upgrade). Both the website and app don't seem to allow me to do this. Does anyone know a way to do this ? I guess I will have to call the contact centre and cannot do this online?
I believe you can remove it at online check-in yourself ​​​​​​.
fets_be likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:09 pm

@fets_be: Even if you retro-credit, the date will be the one of your flight, hence I doubt that you'll achieve the alignment that you want.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:16 am

@fets_be: Even if you retro-credit, the date will be the one of your flight, hence I doubt that you'll achieve the alignment that you want.
30/3 we’re flying BRU-SKG-ATH for 1482 + 900 miles
7/4 ATH-BRU for 2614 miles

only crediting all three would bump my wife over. (She only needs one more A3 segment)

I was thinking of leaving out the 900 mile segment on 30/3 and retro-credit it end of May. But would it bring the date to 30/3 or to 7/4 then ? If the first I would actually be worse off :-)
Alternatively I would just pay the 50 EUR for the remaining miles (it would be <500 miles) on 29/5 (my year ending) so we would both have 30/5 as anniversary.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:53 am

​​​​fets_be retro-crediting will actually do the trick.
When upgrading tiers the system uses the date of the retro-credit for the anniversary of your tier. You just miss out on possible excess miles from the flight you retro-credit, which won't count for retaining your new tier.
If I remember correctly from what was reported, the status won't actually begin immediately on the day you fill out the form, but rather on the next day (someone correct me if I'm wrong), after the tier has been updated, so I think if you want to get a very precise date, you should retro-credit on the day before.
fets_be likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:03 am

OK, so I have 2 things to report:
1st thing is my plan regarding my son's silver tier and his tier miles only worked half-well.
I had refrained from opening a miles&bonus account for him until yesterday, because he had already flown enough in 2023 to make it to silver and with 1071 miles to spare (including the registration bonus of 1000 miles). So I wanted to get his silver year to begin as late as possible, but at the same time try to get some of the miles to carry over to his silver renewal period.
My plan was to register him and credit everything in a single go, all on the same day of course, which I did yesterday.
Everything credited immediately, however his tier didn't update until some time today, at around 2 a.m. CET. I don't know the exact time, I had checked around 00:30 CET and it hadn't been updated and then at around 02:20 CET again and it had, showing today's date as the first day of the silver tier year and not yesterday's.
The fact that the date had now switched resulted in his registration bonus not getting carried over, sadly against my plan to get those 1000 miles to carry over.
This is something I had already come to expect during the past few months, because I remember instructing another member here to retro-credit at a later date to align the anniversaries and they reported back that the tier actually started the day after.

However, what I take from this personal experience is, that I believe the system compares data and updates tier levels each day at sometime between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. Greek time.
Had I completed his registration and crediting of all miles very shorty past midnight, I believe I would have had a good chance of his tier getting updated during the same calendar day, which would have resulted in the 1000 miles getting carried over towards retaining silver.

Anyway, there was no harm done here, since his 2024 flights will get him just over 9000 miles, so with the tier retention at 8000, he's already exceeding that threshold.
I'm also currently out of M&B-less children, so I can't try this out all over again . My together account is now also completely full.

The 2nd thing is one I need to slightly correct:
Originally Posted by giorginho
I believe you can remove it at online check-in yourself ​​​​​​.
fets_be
So I just checked in for my upcoming flight and I noticed, that while passengers without a ffn already saved in the booking do get the "empty line" at the top of the list with the ffp's available for selection, any passengers, who already have entered a ffn during the booking or at a later stage, are now only allowed to actually select a ffp, there's no option to leave that part blank (at least that's what it looked like on the website, I didn't try the app version). You can delete the ffn and click "update details", but then the ffn that already existed still shows up.
So I only see 2 solutions:
1) You select any ffp and enter a false number.
2) You contact Aegean and ask them to remove your ffn.
fets_be likes this.

Last edited by giorginho; Mar 22, 2024 at 6:10 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
2) You contact Aegean and ask them to remove your ffn.
I called today to apply two vouchers to her flight and asked them to remove the FFN at the same time - no issue.

I have used asked to apply my voucher for the outbound flight, and her voucher for the inbound one.
I only see the "double segment" on the inbound flight, so I might call again in a day or two to confirm the waitlist for that flight.

Update: the reservation is now showing the double segments for the waitlisted upgrades. Which is a bit strange as it shows BRU-SKG-ATH with BRU-SKG in I, SKG-ATH in S and then another BRU-SKG in S, followed by ATH-BRU twice, once in B and once in I. Fingers crossed for the upgrades.

Last edited by fets_be; Mar 24, 2024 at 10:05 am Reason: new information
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by fets_be
I have used asked to apply my voucher for the outbound flight, and her voucher for the inbound one.
​​​​​​...
Which is a bit strange as it shows BRU-SKG-ATH with BRU-SKG in I, SKG-ATH in S and then another BRU-SKG in S, followed by ATH-BRU twice, once in B and once in I. Fingers crossed for the upgrades.
If I'm reading your post correctly, this is exactly what you wanted.
fets_be likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
does codeshare work as one of 4 A3 flights for Gold?

Never had a problem getting in the 24k *A miles before now, but not able to get in 70k so need to do 4 A3 flights before 23/5 to keep gold. Do A3 ticketed/*A (TK) operated codeshares work as one of the 4 flights? Trying to get all 4 in a LHR-IST trip but the A3 ATH-IST flights manage to not tie up at all with the LHR-ATH flights....
tia
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:40 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
No they do not, it has to be A3 metal, since in Star Alliance, metal matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.