FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

Xandrios Nov 18, 2015 6:21 am

Originally Posted by blackball (Post 25706780)
Nice! Thanks for the link. It even gives you a seat map with reserved seats (only for business?).

(Sorry if I'm bordering on off-topic, but I think this site is useful for searching for I class availability and would like to know how to read it. If you think it belongs elsewhere, move it).

Has this already stopped working? It no longer shows me the individual booking classes :(

blackball Nov 18, 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 25733330)
Has this already stopped working? It no longer shows me the individual booking classes :(

Indeed, it's not showing them... And if you try selecting a flight, you can't even go through with a booking, which leads me to believe it's a temporary thing (maybe the system is unavailable right now?).

We'll see if it comes back later on...

Grigoris Nov 19, 2015 12:40 am

Originally Posted by bruce80 (Post 25701399)
The fact that the new ticket is still issued in I means that it's still an upgrade. I could imagine that in the case of re-booking, they first downgrade the ticket to its original booking class, then re-book the downgraded ticket (while charging any fees that result from non-availabiliy of the original booking class on the new flight) and then re-upgrade the changed ticket. Just a speculation, but makes sense to me.

After flights having been credited, I can see now what was invisible for me the after the booking change.
The upgraded flight had the original booking class U. Atfer the change, it was credited according to class M.

Nice investment: for 281 EUR I bought 597 award miles and 497 tier miles.
But, I had to run in the marathon.

Phoenixtinct Nov 19, 2015 4:28 am

I read the info on top of the thread and found out that upgraded segments do count toward the minimum 4 A3/OA required for the lower qualification threshold. I did fly 2 segments yesterday as I only needed 2 to requalify, I had already flown the necessary mileage. Just now I checked and one of the segments, which wasn't upgraded, posted but the other, which was upgraded in I class, didn't. A3's earning chart says that I class doesn't earn mileage and I actually don't need it to. I'm only 1 segment away from requalifying and I wanted to get confirmation that A3 will count it - it appears that if it doesn't credit automatically, I would have to call and request it? Can anyone with experience in that area let me know? Thank you!

typical Nov 19, 2015 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct (Post 25738831)
it appears that if it doesn't credit automatically, I would have to call and request it? Can anyone with experience in that area let me know? Thank you!

I called today for just this reason. The person on the other end asked if I'd used upgrade coupons as soon as I mentioned the online claim failed and said "so we have to do it manually". No fuss, just a time waiting to be put through.

Phoenixtinct Nov 19, 2015 5:03 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 25738851)
I called today for just this reason. The person on the other end asked if I'd used upgrade coupons as soon as I mentioned the online claim failed and said "so we have to do it manually". No fuss, just a time waiting to be put through.

Great. Thanks for sharing your experience.

YOWkid Nov 19, 2015 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct (Post 25738928)
Great. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I had the same experience.

It just took 3-4 days for it to show up. But I'm not sure if it's because the weekend got in the way.

benberg2013 Nov 21, 2015 1:34 pm

IZ Tax

Originally Posted by benberg2013 (Post 25706534)
Regarding extra taxes when using the upgrade coupons, I recently upgraded a flight from LCA to LHR and there was extra taxes of 1.5 Euro - I'm interested to know what that is for.

And a flight from CDG-LCA-TLV there was extra taxes of 40 Euro (!) so I asked them to upgrade the 2nd leg from Larnaca to Tel Aviv, and there was no extra taxes. Why is there so much taxes extra Ex - CDG?

On ITA Matrix I can see the only diferrence is in Economy: French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) €1.13
And business: French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) €11.27
But i'm not a good itamtrix user.

So I called again to A3's call centre, and the woman explained, that the reason for the tax increase is:

CDG airport charge "IZ TAX" ( :confused: ) of which I had only paid 5 euro , and in business class that Tax is 45 euro.

Anyone know what this is? (Sorry, no time to google it :p )

Xandrios Nov 21, 2015 3:31 pm

It seems that the phone agent was correct:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soli...rance)#Details

Basically the tax is a charity-tax, and is 4.51 euro for economy and 45.07 euro for business. However these fees are, according to Wikipedia, only for destinations outside the European Economic Area. Within the EEA the fees are about a quarter of that - which equal the fees you found on ITA.

So it seems to be related to your final destination, TLV. Even though you fly via Cyrpus (which is part of the EEA), the final destination is what counts. And in your case that is an airport outside of the EEA and therefore boils down to the highest category of fees :(

sokolov Nov 22, 2015 2:18 am

I recently flew two tickets with two legs each. Three of the four legs were upgraded with coupons. All four legs were credited automatically to my M&B account a few days later. I did not have to call.

So sometimes it works as it should. Why, I don't know.

tiger302 Nov 23, 2015 8:29 am

ATH-CDG-ATH separate tickets both legs upgraded using coupons & no additional tax ^

headingwest Nov 26, 2015 2:14 am

Quick question - can the heavily discounted fares be upgraded with these coupons? (i.e. 'P' fare)

benberg2013 Nov 26, 2015 2:15 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 25774187)
Quick question - can the heavily discounted fares be upgraded with these coupons? (i.e. 'P' fare)

Yes, and that is a major benefit of these coupons - spend 60 Euro on a cheap ticket and get business class. Unlike BA :td:

headingwest Nov 26, 2015 2:53 am

Wow, that's great! Thanks benberg2013

Who'd want to upgrade to Club Europe anyway!? :D

DrHalxx Nov 26, 2015 4:48 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 25774271)
Wow, that's great! Thanks benberg2013

Who'd want to upgrade to Club Europe anyway!? :D

If it's not for TP I couldn't agree more