FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

fransknorge Nov 5, 2017 9:08 am

I think so too. Hence why I wrote we do not know yet for sure.

itfcfan Nov 7, 2017 3:48 pm

I've had a strange situation today.

I have flights CAI-ATH-LHR booked through the Aegean website in "Q" booking class (designated as a "saver" ticket). The first sector is A31303 (codeshare, operated by Egyptair), the second sector is A3602.

I asked to upgrade the second sector A3602. Initially the agent said she couldn't find the flights because the reference number wasn't an Aegean reference. Later, she found the flights but I was told I wasn't able to use the seat upgrade coupon in this situation because the one of the flights in the booking was not operated by Aegean.

I pressed for more information, because I've used seat upgrade coupons several times with similar bookings (in face, almost identical bookings on the same flight combination earlier this year) and was told the rules were changed to disallow this in September this year.

Based on what was written earlier in this thread about upgrading at check-in (or in my case, transfer desk) I asked if the rules would be any different if I attempted to use the seat upgrade coupon at the check-in desk on the day of the flight. I was told the same rules apply then and it wouldn't be possible in my situation.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm minded to phone up and try again with a different agent later. But if there's a rigid rule that disallows this I won't bother. Maybe this information is useful for someone...

KLouis Nov 7, 2017 6:28 pm

Indeed, these are the rules: you can't upgrade with coupons unless your entire itin is booked on bona fide A3 or OA flights.

Originally Posted by M+B rules on upgrade coupons
...Seat upgrade is not permitted when the ticket includes any other Airline...

I don't know when they introduced this, but it was not last September since the rule was always there in the beginning of August, preventing my son from using his coupons. No idea, though, how they'd handle it when upgrading at CI or the gate.

frenchft Nov 8, 2017 3:59 am

Upgrade coupons question

Hi,
I still have 2 coupons and don't have plans to fly A3 before 24th november. Is it possible to use those coupons for a reservation after this date?

NWIFlyer Nov 8, 2017 5:06 am

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 29034594)
Hi,
I still have 2 coupons and don't have plans to fly A3 before 24th november. Is it possible to use those coupons for a reservation after this date?

Yes :). It's the redemption date that counts, always.

yauee Nov 9, 2017 6:06 am

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 29034594)
Hi,

yes, it can be done as i just used 2 coupon for flight on coming 27th November (coupon expiry 24th november)

BlackForestUli Nov 9, 2017 6:15 am

Brief report on recent voucher use and miles credit:

To combine required work travel with getting 4 A3 segments in, I booked GVA-ATH-RHO and back for 6-7 Nov, having checked I-class availabilty (open for the outbound legs only). So I booked these segments in flex and the return in light. Called A3 immediately after booking and used two vouchers. This took 3mins on the phone only, very friendly and efficient.

Miles for the non-upgraded segments posted within 24 hrs. For the two I-class segments, miles posted automatically within 48hrs.

Well done A3, a pleasant experience alltogether.

olivier Nov 13, 2017 1:54 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 29015251)
Basically if there are any seats available in Business you can ask the agent at checkin to upgrade you. No need for I availability.

Can these requests for upgrades with vouchers be done directly at the check-in desk or do I need to visit the Ticketing Desk?

Xandrios Nov 13, 2017 2:40 am

Originally Posted by BlackForestUli (Post 29039405)
Well done A3, a pleasant experience alltogether.

Nice!

Originally Posted by BlackForestUli (Post 29039405)
checked I-class availabilty (open for the outbound legs only). So I booked these segments in flex and the return in light.

Make sure to not let the other two coupons go to waste! (Assuming you had 4) ;)

Originally Posted by olivier (Post 29054122)
Can these requests for upgrades with vouchers be done directly at the check-in desk or do I need to visit the Ticketing Desk?

I was told yes, but that (at least in AMS) they would involve (call?) the ticketing desk. Not sure how that would work at an outstation without ticketing desk, perhaps there is some hotline to ATH that can handle ticketing issues for them.

BlackForestUli Nov 13, 2017 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 29054224)

Make sure to not let the other two coupons go to waste! (Assuming you had 4) ;)

Indeed I did have 4, now just 2. However, using the remaining 2 is easier said than done, with no A3 flights upcoming for me nor any friend/colleague...

I am not overly motivated to fly A3 to ATH and back just to burn coupons and get 2 A3 legs for the 2018 requalification.

fransknorge Nov 13, 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by olivier (Post 29054122)

Not sure. Bear in mind there was no communications about from A3, just word of mouth starting from a few who were informed by check-in agent. It does not mean this is fake information, just that:
- there are a lack of details concerning T&C and procedure, as we are relying on hearsay and experience from people
- we do not know if this is a trial or a new permanent change

Mbcan Nov 15, 2017 3:16 pm

I tried to upgrade 2 flights (VIE-ATH and ATH-VIE) with my remaining 2 coupons. I was told I was put on waiting list. What is the usual amount of time for upgrade in this case? My flights are on 7th and 9th December...

KLouis Nov 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcan (Post 29064873)
I tried to upgrade 2 flights (VIE-ATH and ATH-VIE) with my remaining 2 coupons. I was told I was put on waiting list. What is the usual amount of time for upgrade in this case? My flights are on 7th and 9th November...

You do mean December, don't you? At any rate, no stats available for a "usual" waiting time...

olivier Nov 15, 2017 10:51 pm

I tried to upgrade 2 flights (VIE-ATH and ATH-VIE) with my remaining 2 coupons. I was told I was put on waiting list. What is the usual amount of time for upgrade in this case? My flights are on 7th and 9th November...

My waitlisted upgrade request for my flight on Sunday 19 November has not cleared yet. Business class seems to be still empty.

gpb_croppers63 Nov 16, 2017 12:46 am

I'm guessing your flights are in December, as otherwise you've missed them by a bit. ;) I've been on the waitlist for ATH-VIE in December for weeks and it hasn't cleared yet either. The VIE route is completely bereft of award availability (in both classes) until the end of the year at least from what I've seen when checking. I'm hoping mine will clear but not holding my breath. Do let us know if you clear the waitlist (and when), as it would be very interesting to compare data points on the same route. Also don't forget to try asking at check-in if the waitlist doesn't clear. It is supposedly possible then if there are any seats left in business, I class not required. I'll be trying this too if my waitlist doesn't clear.