FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

romans Dec 4, 2023 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by yyccdg (Post 35795172)
Hi all, was wondering if anyone knows how the waitlist is organized? I booked flights back in May, LIS to Chania and Chania to MUC. In Lisbon today, I was told I was #3 on the waitlist but my wife is #8. We have both been A3 gold since 2012 and I did the upgrade requests at the same time. We are on one PNR. The gentleman in Lisbon said the list was organized by miles which is odd because the wife and I have almost identical balances, actually mine is lower due to a flight redemption. We will see what happens Friday going to Munich. Thoughts on the waitlist priority? Thanks.

that's a really good question. I would like to know the answer too .)

l380 Dec 5, 2023 11:15 am

I want to share my recent experience on married segment itinerary.
For latest upgrade coupon, I used it for my JTR-ATH-LHR (married segment flight) in Sep 2024.
JTR-ATH segment is successful. I got the confirmation email <24 hours after calling A3.
However, ATH-LHR is still on waiting list.
I thought I read in some earlier posts said that married segment flights will not be upgraded until both flights' I class is available. So I am happily surprised.
Does anyone know if A3 has changed its policy?
Also is ATH-LHR upgrade seat very hard to come by?

DELLAS Dec 5, 2023 1:08 pm

ATH - LHR getting harder to auto confirm as loads in paid revenue J are high even at this time of year .

unusualtravelblog Dec 6, 2023 2:20 pm

When I used upgrade vouchers, I used to see the correct luggage allowance for business passengers.

However, in this case, I got a confirmed upgrade (I class) in business, even did seat selection in business cabin, but my luggage allowance says this:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...84e40faa3f.png

Can I be sure that I won't have issues checking in 2 luggages or should I call just to be sure?

ariadgr_ Dec 7, 2023 1:54 am

You do NOT need to call to confirm that you have business class baggage if you are flying business.

mylabel Dec 7, 2023 3:20 am

Some data point
ATH-ARN (Dec 2023)
Ticket booked in early Nov 2023 with upgrade coupon waitlisted. I class never showed up at all (checked this 3x a day, including an hour before getting upgraded) then suddenly 3 days before flight the RES OFFICE email showed up. The flight was great as usual with only 3 rows of business.

Ed Size Dec 11, 2023 12:48 am

Is there any logic behind the clearing process? So can I force my luck by book certain flights? Right now I m on a flight where the J cabin is empty (no seats taken) but upgrade did not clear. When could I expect clearing of the upgrade (otherwise I need to book me a seat in front of the cabin).

ariadgr_ Dec 11, 2023 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 35812572)
Is there any logic behind the clearing process?

It has not been made public

ISo can I force my luck by book certain flights?

You can check for I class availability before booking, by checking if the flight has available business class award seats, if you want instant coupon upgrade

Right now I m on a flight where the J cabin is empty (no seats taken) but upgrade did not clear. When could I expect clearing of the upgrade

Up to when you are boarding the plane.
But more often, up to the day before the flight
Irrelevant if you have checked in or not

(otherwise I need to book me a seat in front of the cabin).

If you did not book ComfortFlex to have this as standard
If you don't have any upfront coupons because of Gold status
Then yes, you can book the upfront seat to be safe

romans Dec 12, 2023 2:22 am

just a data point: have flex booking for next Oct: RHO-ATH-HER bound 1 and under the same booking code HER-ATH-VIE bound 2 (inv. re-route from RHO-ATH-HER-VIE).
I have some spare upgrade coupons which I will not use before so decided to use for RHO-ATH and ATH-VIE (the thing about upgrade the first segment is that it was rebooked from "S" to Class "U" but fare basis stays S - Fare basis: SLFLXSC/PR30) and if upgraded to "I" then it gonna be credited as a fare basis instead of class - past experiences). Call center agent could split first bound and upgrade but not the second bound where is ATH-VIE. So only waiting list on this segment.

Xandrios Dec 13, 2023 1:56 pm

People please note the rules of the forum (and remark in the wiki above) - Coupons should not be traded here. Please use the Coupon Connection subforum to do so.

Thebritgreek Dec 13, 2023 6:06 pm

Asked for an upgrade via the phone a month ago

I booked my ticket and then a few weeks later I called and asked for an upgrade with a coupon for LHR to ATH. The flight is tomorrow and is still showing availability on Business but when I called I was told that they cannot upgrade me as they need to wait and I am in the waitlist. Does this make sense? How it so decided who’s upgraded and what are the criteria? With this logic I will never be upgraded. Any tips? I was told that I need to
wait and maybe tomorrow check at check in or the gate… this is absurd….Very disappointing as I am not sure how to get an upgrade with a coupon…. Thanks for your help

KLouis Dec 13, 2023 7:33 pm

Well, irrespective of any absurd criteria they may have used against you (what makes you think that?), there may be an additional X number of people who have applied for an upgrade. LHR is one of the hottest A3 destinations, and all flights are usually full. As for securing an upgrade with a coupon, there is no way to go other than keep trying. ;) And, by the way, welcome to FT! :)

Ed Size Dec 14, 2023 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ariadgr_ (Post 35813656)
You can check for I class availability before booking, by checking if the flight has available business class award seats, if you want instant coupon upgrade

If you did not book ComfortFlex to have this as standard
If you don't have any upfront coupons because of Gold status
Then yes, you can book the upfront seat to be safe

Not everbody is able to check the booking class.

ComfortFlex is no option if flying on a A3 pass.

What are "Upfront coupons" I have Upgrade coupons, yes, but upfront coupons? New to me, where can I find them?

giorginho Dec 14, 2023 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 35821001)
Not everbody is able to check the booking class.

ComfortFlex is no option if flying on a A3 pass.

Surely every member of miles+bonus is able to check on Aegean's website for award tickets in business class!
The pass includes either a 50% discount for up front seats (when buying the 8-flights pass) or completely free selection of up front seats (when buying the pass with 12/14/20 flights).

Thebritgreek Dec 14, 2023 1:50 am

KLouis no criteria against me but generic ones… are they going with who’s been a good member for longer, someone with more award miles, is it random, can they upgrade their own contacts…. Somebody should be able to explain this if they have worked for Aegean! I am thinking that with this approach I might not be able to use my 4 coupons… so what do I do with them? What’s the point of offering them if not used? :)