FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

frenchft Jul 7, 2023 6:33 pm

Those coupons used to be magic, now it's a pain and requires a lot of planning / monitoring and paying Expertflyer...
Main issue here is the upgrade bids... they are not good for coupons and they are not good for paying J pax as the J class is now super busy (when it was at 50% capacity most of the time before).

MathAviation7 Jul 8, 2023 12:24 am

Originally Posted by romans (Post 35390301)
not quite true if we are talking about airport check-in upgrade. I was told it's possible only in Greece when I requested that at DUB airport and always worked only in Greece, never in Vienna e.g.

At the check in desk in Milan, the contract agent told me that she could see my upgrade, and if there was empty space she could process it, but unfortunately the cabin was completely booked.

MathAviation7 Jul 8, 2023 12:26 am

I have placed upgrade coupons from RHO-ATH and the seat map is empty. Usually this route has 2-4 I seats available in advance. Is Aegean waiting for someone to buy a ticket before releasing award space?

Tennen Jul 8, 2023 12:30 am

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 35394908)
Those coupons used to be magic, now it's a pain and requires a lot of planning / monitoring and paying Expertflyer...
Main issue here is the upgrade bids... they are not good for coupons and they are not good for paying J pax as the J class is now super busy (when it was at 50% capacity most of the time before).

Agreed on the first part. My biggest issue is also that they're such a pain to use. For me, it's having to call, waitlist, call back, re-ticket, call again for any changes, etc. Absolutely ridiculous. So much time is wasted when it could be done in minutes online. Using European airlines' websites and apps (not just A3, but A3's pretty horrible) makes me really, really appreciate AA, DL, and UA IT. For all their faults, it's like using the latest iPhone vs a Motorola Startac.

The coupon's rules are also unnecessarily complicated and restrictive, too. 390 ticket stock, no other airlines on tickets, insanely high change fees, coupon forfeiture if changed, etc. Honestly, it was easier to use paper/electronic 500-mile upgrades on UA two decades ago.

As for the upgrade bids, I certainly don't blame people for trying. IMHO, Business is so overpriced that I'm surprised they sell tickets at all. If the prices were more in line with the product (as in, not 4 figures), I actually might buy Business outright instead of strategizing to use my coupons.

MathAviation7 Jul 8, 2023 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Tennen (Post 35395326)
Agreed on the first part. My biggest issue is also that they're such a pain to use. For me, it's having to call, waitlist, call back, re-ticket, call again for any changes, etc. Absolutely ridiculous. So much time is wasted when it could be done in minutes online. Using European airlines' websites and apps (not just A3, but A3's pretty horrible) makes me really, really appreciate AA, DL, and UA IT. For all their faults, it's like using the latest iPhone vs a Motorola Startac.

The coupon's rules are also unnecessarily complicated and restrictive, too. 390 ticket stock, no other airlines on tickets, insanely high change fees, coupon forfeiture if changed, etc. Honestly, it was easier to use paper/electronic 500-mile upgrades on UA two decades ago.

As for the upgrade bids, I certainly don't blame people for trying. IMHO, Business is so overpriced that I'm surprised that they sell tickets at all. If the prices were more in line with the product (as in, not 4 figures), I actually might buy Business outright instead of strategizing to use my coupons.

Honestly, I completely agree! LH often prices J less than 1.5x more than economy, which is what I consider a good value for European J. If Aegean had that pricing, I would probably be buying J on A3. But 600 euro one way, when Comfortflex is 150 euro, is completely outrageous!

jerry_greece Jul 8, 2023 3:50 am

I have to report a recent experience on a successful last-minute upgrade. I booked a kind of last minute DUS-SKG. No I availabilty at the moment (maybe 7 days before?), so I waited and opted for calling 2 days before departure (when I availabilty jumped to 3 - this is the moment that space seems to open up). I was put on waitlist but the same day, the upgrade was processed! C cabin was quite packed: 3 rows with 11 booked people and there was a last minute upgrade which was processed after boarding: pax was seated in his original seat but then the crew told him that he can be upgraded. The crew also apologised for the ground crew not proceeding with the upgrade earlier and mentioned that they also check these pending upgrades after boarding and they can also make them last minute. Not sure how that works though or if it's even standard procedure.

Wuzz Jul 11, 2023 1:10 am

I just used all of my four upgrade vouchers on A3 international flights in 2024 and all got confirmed right away, no waiting list, no bull .......admittedly this was different the years before when the upgrade with vouchers was confirmed just on the day of that flight...maybe this is a rare incident where things may have changed to the better for frequent flyers :)

romans Jul 11, 2023 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Wuzz (Post 35403227)
I just used all of my four upgrade vouchers on A3 international flights in 2024 and all got confirmed right away, no waiting list, no bull .......admittedly this was different the years before when the upgrade with vouchers was confirmed just on the day of that flight...maybe this is a rare incident where things may have changed to the better for frequent flyers :)

no, you're just lucky there was an availability, nice one!

MathAviation7 Jul 11, 2023 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Wuzz (Post 35403227)

You just got very lucky that all your flights had I award fare availability. I must assume that your flights are in the wintertime and/or to lower premium demand destinations. For example, MXP, CDG, and LHR will almost never have space in advance, while NAP might have 2 awards seats available. If A3 truly cared about loyalty, they would make the coupons work for last seat availability.

ermis177 Jul 11, 2023 1:33 am

Originally Posted by MathAviation7 (Post 35403250)
…If A3 truly cared about loyalty, they would make the coupons work for last seat availability.

If you don’t mind can you tell me 1 airline that does that?

unusualtravelblog Jul 11, 2023 2:41 am

Same experience. Found I availability on flights for 4 pax on ATH-AMM and got upgraded straight away. However, of a period of whole winter 2024 I couldn't find many flights with availability for just 2 pax for BRU-ATH route.

MathAviation7 Jul 11, 2023 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 35403256)
If you don’t mind can you tell me 1 airline that does that?

While not last seat availability, TK upgrade vouchers work for J fare business class, not just I fare. And mind you, these clutches are also for long haul flights. I think Aegean is quite stingy, especially since this is intra-European Business class. They should certainly allow instant upgrades when the seat map is empty/near empty and then add more J seats if there is demand from paying customers.

ermis177 Jul 11, 2023 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MathAviation7 (Post 35403442)
While not last seat availability, TK upgrade vouchers work for J fare business class, not just I fare. And mind you, these clutches are also for long haul flights. I think Aegean is quite stingy, especially since this is intra-European Business class. They should certainly allow instant upgrades when the seat map is empty/near empty and then add more J seats if there is demand from paying customers.

So there isn’t a single airline that fills up their business class with vouchers :) honesty I haven’t heard a worse idea from a private business point of view. Aegean has decided to give vouchers to people that sometimes they fly twice or 3 times per year ( silver members). Imagine what it would happen if this happen. Nobody is going to pay for business class anymore :)

giorginho Jul 11, 2023 9:29 am

Originally Posted by MathAviation7 (Post 35403442)
While not last seat availability, TK upgrade vouchers work for J fare business class, not just I fare.... and then add more J seats if there is demand from paying customers.

Just 2 pointers: Aegean's vouchers could, theoretically even work outside I space and even for the very last available seat. Emphasis on "could" (they do work on many occasions, but I can't estimate on how many, like, maybe 40% of the time not I exists? No idea).

Regarding adding more seats (more like swapping 6 economy and 4 business class seats), if there's such high demand, then on most routes it's more profitable for Aegean to sell 3x economy seats at Y or even B and perhaps even M and lower (!) than to sell just 2 C seats instead (and provide those 2 passengers with tons of free luggage, lounge access etc.).

I'd also love to see what you suggest as a passenger, but the unfortunate truth is, that they're in this business for €€, not for giving away stuff.

ermis177 Jul 11, 2023 10:48 am

Originally Posted by giorginho (Post 35404084)
I'd also love to see what you suggest as a passenger, but the unfortunate truth is, that they're in this business for €€, not for giving away stuff.

Exactly this. Once again, a passenger imagined Aegean being a charity and offering stuff for free cause they are nice people. We are so lucky they even give us voucher with 12k renewal threshold!