FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

unusualtravelblog Oct 21, 2023 4:19 am

Has anyone ever upgraded a flight, got it confirmed and saw that the upgrade vouchers didn't get removed from your account?
This is what happened for an upgrade I made in september for a flight in 2024... Not sure if I should be greedy and try to use the vouchers that haven't been removed.

Edlington Oct 21, 2023 5:07 am

Data point:

BUD-ATH-BUD

Outbound flight was jam-packed, no luck. For the return leg, at OLCI opening availability showed 8 seats in C and nothing else in J. My request did not clear, so I got to ATH airport a bit earlier and went to the check-in counter. The friendly agent confirmed the availability of seats but redirected me to the Aegean service desk about my request. There the agents said they'll try to confirm it, but I might only get cleared at the gate. As they said this, they were already on the phone, however, and a minute later they handed me my new boarding pass. :-)

Checked availability again, C seats down to 7, which is also reflected on the seat selection map when trying to change seats.

giorginho Oct 21, 2023 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Edlington (Post 35682075)
... I got to ATH airport a bit earlier and went to the check-in counter. The friendly agent confirmed the availability of seats but redirected me to the Aegean service desk about my request.

Which check-in counter precisely did you go to?

AlwaysFlyStar Oct 21, 2023 7:10 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog (Post 35682019)
Has anyone ever upgraded a flight, got it confirmed and saw that the upgrade vouchers didn't get removed from your account?
This is what happened for an upgrade I made in september for a flight in 2024... Not sure if I should be greedy and try to use the vouchers that haven't been removed.

In my experience, the vouchers are always removed, but not always immediately. When I am upgraded onboard especially, it seems to take a couple of months for the upgrade voucher to be 'used'. I wouldn't personally want to find out what would happen if I 'double-used' a voucher, and since your flight is in 2024, I would imagine they would un-upgrade you...

Xandrios Oct 21, 2023 7:10 am

Are you sure you were upgraded, i.e., the new ticket was issued?

It would make sense for the coupon to only be removed when the ticket is issued. Sometimes it takes months for that to happen.

Edlington Oct 21, 2023 7:17 am

Originally Posted by giorginho (Post 35682219)
Which check-in counter precisely did you go to?

Aegean had dozens open for "all destinations", walked up to a random one in the J/*A Gold section. The service center desk they sent me to was in the same hall.

giorginho Oct 21, 2023 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Edlington (Post 35682288)
Aegean had dozens open for "all destinations", walked up to a random one in the J/*A Gold section. The service center desk they sent me to was in the same hall.

I only asked because if you went across entrance #4 and to the left (counters 150-ish), you probably didn't speak to Aegean's own personnel, but probably Goldair's. If it was across entrance #3, where those "dozens of Check-in counters" are actually located (I think their numbers are somewhere between the 110-ish and the 130-ish) and they even have a little checkpoint (like a small gate) set up, where an employee asks you if you're business or gold to let you join the lines for business/gold (and I believe it's also next to entrance #3, that the ticketing office is located, where I assume you were referred to), then it's actually Aegean's own employees you spoke to.
However I find it strange (if the latter is indeed the case) that they referred you to someone else, since they can certainly process the upgrade if they want to (and of course if the system allows it, available seats etc.). Perhaps you spoke to someone there, who was inexperienced, anyway, glad it worked out for you in the end...:rolleyes:

Arrivals Oct 21, 2023 9:00 am

Yes. Several times. Usually when the upgrade happend very late (gate-op-up). A few times the coupon was removed weeks later.

vectrox Oct 21, 2023 9:13 am

Originally Posted by giorginho (Post 35682352)
If it was across entrance #3, where those "dozens of Check-in counters" are actually located (I think their numbers are somewhere between the 110-ish and the 130-ish) and they even have a little checkpoint (like a small gate) set up, where an employee asks you if you're business or gold to let you join the lines for business/gold (and I believe it's also next to entrance #3, that the ticketing office is located, where I assume you were referred to), then it's actually Aegean's own employees you spoke to.

In my experience not all Staff at those dedicated CI Counters are Aegeans own. I honestly don't check their ID Cards every time I use those dedicated Business-Class counters, but the few times I did, they were goldair employees.

​​

giorginho Oct 21, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by vectrox (Post 35682521)
In my experience not all Staff at those dedicated CI Counters are Aegeans own. I honestly don't check their ID Cards every time I use those dedicated Business-Class counters, but the few times I did, they were goldair employees.
​​

Good to know, I usually simply judge by their outfit... :rolleyes:

Edlington Oct 21, 2023 10:44 am

Originally Posted by giorginho (Post 35682352)
I only asked because if you went across entrance #4 and to the left (counters 150-ish), you probably didn't speak to Aegean's own personnel, but probably Goldair's. If it was across entrance #3, where those "dozens of Check-in counters" are actually located (I think their numbers are somewhere between the 110-ish and the 130-ish) and they even have a little checkpoint (like a small gate) set up, where an employee asks you if you're business or gold to let you join the lines for business/gold (and I believe it's also next to entrance #3, that the ticketing office is located, where I assume you were referred to), then it's actually Aegean's own employees you spoke to.
However I find it strange (if the latter is indeed the case) that they referred you to someone else, since they can certainly process the upgrade if they want to (and of course if the system allows it, available seats etc.). Perhaps you spoke to someone there, who was inexperienced, anyway, glad it worked out for you in the end...:rolleyes:

I see, thanks for the explanation. Indeed I was in the area which you described with the checkpoint.

unusualtravelblog Oct 21, 2023 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar (Post 35682265)
In my experience, the vouchers are always removed, but not always immediately. When I am upgraded onboard especially, it seems to take a couple of months for the upgrade voucher to be 'used'. I wouldn't personally want to find out what would happen if I 'double-used' a voucher, and since your flight is in 2024, I would imagine they would un-upgrade you...

I got ticketed, even chose business class seats. This was in september and the vouchers are still there.

aflo Oct 23, 2023 4:13 am

Originally Posted by aflo (Post 35681760)
Next flight, I again need 3 upgrades. Before OLCI availability was C(4) I(0). Now, a couple of hours into OLCI it's C(2) I(2). Probably this means that only 2 seats are left in C and we remain in Y :( Probably upgrade bids or other coupons cleared before us. It's still Y(9), so a very small hope remains...

Shortly before the flight. C went to (1) and all hope was lost. Goldair Checking Agent at SKG proactively asked us, if we wanted to upgrade one person (we refused). A couple of minutes before boarding the lounge agent searched us and asked us again, if we wanted to upgrade one person (we refused again).I was positively suprised by the proactive agents at SKG, after all not so positive reports of other agents, I guess mostly at ATH.

ung1 Oct 24, 2023 8:50 am

Tried using seat upgrade coupons for a flight to ATH in January. Surprisingly, or not maybe, they've gone to waitlist, even though there are available award seats in business. So this seems to be a new approach where they only clear the waitlist a few days before travel instead of confirming the upgrades in advance (even though they can just move the curtain so don't really get the point?). Unlike last time though, I don't see the sectors appear twice in my booking, and I can still change seats. I did call back to double check and they assured me it is on waitlist.

giorginho Oct 24, 2023 9:23 am

ung1 Are there sufficient award seats available to cover you requested upgrades?
I had a quick look and the OSL-ATH flight has (like so many others do) just 1 single award seat available, so if you tried to simultaneously upgrade 2 or more passengers, then you got waitlisted, because not all of them can be upgraded right now, so they don't want one to get upgraded without the other.