Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: A3
Upgrade for ATH - ZRH for Sunday cleared 30 minutes after online check-in opened; first I couldn't complete check-in, but when I received email with new ticket it went through.
Upgrade requested over 2 months ago.
Xandrios, KATERGOO and gioannis13 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 2:02 pm

Booked BER-ATH-RHO RHO-ATH-SKG-BER earlier this month and requested upgrades for BER-ATH-RHO & ATH-SKG-BER.

When requested there was no availability in I on any segment but by now all upgrades have cleared apart from ATH-RHO which is the least important one.

Flights are in december so I'm pretty happy (and slightly supprised) everything cleared that far in advanced, without I Class beeing available while requesting.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by vectrox
Booked BER-ATH-RHO RHO-ATH-SKG-BER earlier this month and requested upgrades for BER-ATH-RHO & ATH-SKG-BER.

When requested there was no availability in I on any segment but by now all upgrades have cleared apart from ATH-RHO which is the least important one.

Flights are in december so I'm pretty happy (and slightly supprised) everything cleared that far in advanced, without I Class beeing available while requesting.
Great result! Congrats.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:44 am

on wl for HER-VIE 30.9. current status C - sold out, Y(Y) - 2 left let's see if miracle happens
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by romans
on wl for HER-VIE 30.9. current status C - sold out, Y(Y) - 2 left let's see if miracle happens
Are all C seats allocated though? You may get lucky. I was booked on TXL-ATH years ago and waitlisted for an upgrade that never cleared with C being zeroed out, but we got an op-up when OLCI opened, as Y was oversold. I still don’t understand why they did it that way rather than taking 2 coupons but it enabled me to upgrade us both on a different flight so I was happy in the end.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:06 am

Smile

it's just a game. I am ok with that, would be nice to get op-up to C in the end (instead of stays in fully booked Y). all I can do is to board amongst first and wish... 1A

Last edited by romans; Sep 24, 2023 at 2:11 am
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by romans
it's just a game. I am ok with that, would be nice to get op-up to C in the end (instead of stays in fully booked Y). all I can do is to board amongst first and wish... 1A

That looks almost identical to my TXL-ATH all those years back. I get the impression that they prefer to oversell Y and upgrade people to C rather than zeroing out Y and still selling 2 C seats. No idea why but I don’t work in Revman. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
romans likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Upgrade process

I'm flying ATH-BRU tomorrow morning and called a month ago to be upgraded - no I availability - placed on a waiting list. Agent told me they don't see which place I'm on the waiting list, which I found strange. Several weeks ago, Business was reduced from 3 rows to 2 rows. Thus, up until earlier today there was no availability in Business but saw a seat opened up, however, now they are trying to sell it. It'd be interesting to see how this plays out in the next 12 hours. Oddly enough, several months ago - in a similar situation - no seats being sold in Economy and Business, I was upgraded. Let's hope I'm number 1 on the list and get the upgrade.

Same thing with my return flight - from BRU to ATH also had Business class reduced from 4 to 3 rows but I see a lot of open seats in Business, so hopefully that upgrade will clear easily. But that begs the question - does anyone know if the opposite is possible, i. e. if they reduce the size of the Business Class cabin, has Aegean been known to increase it?
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:14 pm

Yes, I have seen the cabin adjusted both ways. Good luck for tomorrow!
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Yes, I have seen the cabin adjusted both ways. Good luck for tomorrow!
​​​I once had a very funny movement of the curtain an SKG-NUE seasonal summer redeye.
Originally only 2 rows of C, priced at 400€+ one way (while Eco was sold at around 100€), after my upgrade cleared the Cabin was adjusted to 5 or even 6 rows. In the end +1 and me were the only one flying in C.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:37 am

I asked another gold member to upgrade me. I got on the waitlist and it tried to clear with my coupons. If I ask Aegean to find the call I will be mean?
Old Sep 26, 2023, 6:41 am

Anubis13 I had a similar situation recently, in fact in my case the upgrade was confirmed with the "wrong" coupon. As I reported here, all I did was to call again and the agent was able to swap back the coupons and use the one my friend and I actually wanted (and had told the other agent in the previous call) to use. So no need to be "mean", just try it the same way I did.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
Anubis13 I had a similar situation recently, in fact in my case the upgrade was confirmed with the "wrong" coupon. As I reported here, all I did was to call again and the agent was able to swap back the coupons and use the one my friend and I actually wanted (and had told the other agent in the previous call) to use. So no need to be "mean", just try it the same way I did.
Just to clarify, I am always polite with staff at any service.
I called them this morning and they told me that my relative had to call again, which is fine but at the same time(I can be what I call mean) I can claim that at this date you had a call from this number, since the first thing they say is that this is a registered call.
@giorginho: To exchange your coupon with your friend's one if i understand you called or he called?
Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Anubis13
Just to clarify, I am always polite with staff at any service.
...@giorginho: To exchange your coupon with your friend's one if i understand you called or he called?
No need to clarify anything, this is why I used " " for the word "mean" (I simply meant you didn't need to go through all the trouble of having them recover a call just for them to believe you ).
In my case (the one I mentioned) I handled all the calls myself, but I've heard the "your friend should call" too on other occasions (there seems to have been a directive from higher up something like 7-8 months ago to the agents to not accept callers wanting to use someone else's vouchers for security reasons, which I can certainly understand, since no phone password or other safety locks are required for someone to be "confirmed" as that "someone else"! Despite that, I got an agent to make the changes without any trouble, but perhaps the fact that I too had my own vouchers waitlisted on his own bookings played a role in this).
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
CDG-ATH
Flight on Friday, upgrade with coupons cleared on Wednesday although business cabin looks very full. Happy
Arrivals and gioannis13 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.