Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Athens (ATH)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Are both flights on the same ticket?
Same ticket. Air Canada Aeroplan rewards booking with an A3 codeshare flight between JMK and ATH
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is 2 hours sufficient to connect from JTR-ATH-FRA?
All flights on A3 on same ticket. Sunday afternoon.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is 2 hours sufficient to connect from JTR-ATH-FRA?
All flights on A3 on same ticket. Sunday afternoon.
More than enough
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:05 am

Is 2 hours connection sufficient to connect from CHQ-ATH-LHR-SFO in ATH on same ticket? Assume will have to go through security and passport control since LHR in non-Schengen. Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of time. If it's peak summer season non-Schengen passport line can be quite slow but you'll be pulled out if in danger of missing your flight.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Overnight Airside

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it possible to go airside during an overnight connection? I'm considering an Intra-Schengen to Extra-Schengen itinerary, where the first flight arrives at ~23:00 and the next one departs at ~7:00. IIRC, most hotels will eat up too much time in travel, and the Sofitel's too expensive for such a short stay.

Is Extra-Schengen passport control and security open that late and will they let me through? Ideally, bags would be through-checked (single ticket), but if not, will A3 accept bags the night before?

The Goldair lounge seems to be open 24/7, so it'd be a semi-decent place to rest for a few hours until the A3 lounge opens at 5:00. Hoping that it won't be too busy at night and they'll accept PP; last time I passed through (early evening), they were rejecting PP.

TIA!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:08 pm

I can't answer the question on lounges during that time of the day (oops: night), but there are, indeed, occasional after-midnight flights leaving ATH for non-Schengen destinations even in the winter months (definitely many more during the tourist season). For example, last night there was one to ADD at 1 am and one to BEL at 4:40 am. So, I guess you can get into the non-Schengen departure area after your arrival, and even if all the lounges are closed, it will be rather quiet for you to find a place for a nap, even outside a lounge.
Tennen likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Holiday Inn might be an option - it's a 15 min ride away. I'd rather have 4-5 hours sleep in a bed that camp out in the terminal/lounge.
Xandrios and remymartin like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:30 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'd probably agree if budget allows for a night at the HI. One thing to keep in mind is that their shuttle may not run at the times that you need it to run - so expect taking a taxi or bus (X93 and I believe X95 both stop there, so there are plenty of frequent services throughout the night).
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'd probably agree if budget allows for a night at the HI. One thing to keep in mind is that their shuttle may not run at the times that you need it to run - so expect taking a taxi or bus (X93 and I believe X95 both stop there, so there are plenty of frequent services throughout the night).
I know the bus to the city costs 5.50 EUR, does anyone know if it the same price to get to the Holiday Inn stop?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:16 am

Yes it is the same price.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Thanks for the info, all!

Originally Posted by KLouis
I can't answer the question on lounges during that time of the day (oops: night), but there are, indeed, occasional after-midnight flights leaving ATH for non-Schengen destinations even in the winter months (definitely many more during the tourist season). For example, last night there was one to ADD at 1 am and one to BEL at 4:40 am. So, I guess you can get into the non-Schengen departure area after your arrival, and even if all the lounges are closed, it will be rather quiet for you to find a place for a nap, even outside a lounge.
Good to know!

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The Holiday Inn might be an option - it's a 15 min ride away. I'd rather have 4-5 hours sleep in a bed that camp out in the terminal/lounge.
I agree that 4-5 hours in a real bed is preferable, but the options aren't great. The HI was the first place I checked, but at ~200 EUR, it's way more than I'd want to spend. Even the points rate is high. The shuttle from the airport seems to run hourly on the dot until midnight, so a ~23:00 arrival would mean the 00:00 shuttle there and a 6:00-ish one leaving the hotel. I guess I could play it by ear and see how things go on the inbound flight (and through-checked bags). If they still have same-day availability on points (at a decent rate), that might work.

Originally Posted by headingwest
I know the bus to the city costs 5.50 EUR, does anyone know if it the same price to get to the Holiday Inn stop?
AFAIK, it's the same price.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Yes all transport from the airport has that extra "airport fee". For example taking the metro from the Koropi stop (Right next to the airport, and the first stop on the way to the center) is only 1,20 euro - compared to the 10 euro if you depart from the airport stop. The bus is a little less extreme, but you re not going to be able to avoid the 4,30 euro surcharge (1,20 + 4,30 = 5,50). You may find a taxi that can do it for the same price though I imagine most taxi's to not be willing to take you (Since the drivers need to queue for hours to be allowed to take a client from the airport).

Originally Posted by Tennen
I agree that 4-5 hours in a real bed is preferable, but the options aren't great. The HI was the first place I checked, but at ~200 EUR, it's way more than I'd want to spend. Even the points rate is high. The shuttle from the airport seems to run hourly on the dot until midnight, so a ~23:00 arrival would mean the 00:00 shuttle there and a 6:00-ish one leaving the hotel. I guess I could play it by ear and see how things go on the inbound flight (and through-checked bags). If they still have same-day availability on points (at a decent rate), that might work.
Spending 200 euros for a night at the HI is crazy, and indeed I would never consider that. I remember staying there on 5K points per night in the past (Granted, that was a good deal even back when they still had these point breaks). You could consider Avra hotel in Rafina (Typically quite a bit cheaper, around 70 bucks off-season) - but that is a 20 minute drive and their shuttle is only once per hour. So yeah, if the effective hours of rest will go down to just 3-4 I'd agree that it is probably not worth it spending significant amounts of money.
Tennen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.