Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at Athens (ATH)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Connecting at Athens (ATH)

We are flying from LHR to JTR (Santorini) on Aegean through ATH in October. The connection time is 1 hour in ATH. Will this be enough to go through customs (if any) and make the connection? Do domestic Greek flights leave from the same terminal as international arrivals? Will it be enough time for the bags to make it? We would hate to miss the connection since it would be the last flight of the day..
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:05 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

The MCT for your connection is 45 minutes and there are no multiple terminals at ATH:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: ATH/A3-A3]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         ATH                          045 045 055 045  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L                 DEPARR AREA                                 

A3                                             --- 045 --- 045  
A3                     LCA                                      

A3                                             --- 045 --- 045  
A3                     LHR                                      

-ALL-                      SCH                 --- --- 045 045  
A3                         SCH                                  

A3                  LCA                        --- --- 045 045  
A3                                                              

A3                  LHR                        --- --- 045 045  
A3                                                              

A3                         SCH                 --- --- 045 045  
-ALL-                      SCH                                  

**END OF DISPLAY**

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 7, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reason: Removed commercial link from citation
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by romeoguy
We are flying from LHR to JTR (Santorini) on Aegean through ATH in October. The connection time is 1 hour in ATH. Will this be enough to go through customs (if any) and make the connection? Do domestic Greek flights leave from the same terminal as international arrivals? Will it be enough time for the bags to make it? We would hate to miss the connection since it would be the last flight of the day..
It should take you 10 min, maximum, to get to the check-in desks (assuming you're on a non A3 flight) and another 10 min. to the gate. If you're connecting from an A3 flight (i.e. already checked in), it's 15 minutes, maximum, from deplaning to the gate. Assuming an A3-A3 connection, your luggage will certainly be in Santorini with you. So, absolutely safe, assuming no delays from LHR.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:20 am

You will be fine . Even if the LHR flight is delayed I have often seen A3 staff at the gate waiting for connecting passengers to rush them through to the next flight . A3 are very good with this .
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

I won't need to clear customs flying in from LHR?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:12 pm

I won't need to clear customs flying in from LHR?
Your luggage doesn't go through customs (EU). You will arrive on the non-Schengen side of the airport, though (the UK is not part of it), which means a slightly longer way to your gate. Still, don't worry at all, you'll certainly make it, unless your flight from LHR is very late. A3 often waits for connecting passengers.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by KLouis
Your luggage doesn't go through customs (EU). You will arrive on the non-Schengen side of the airport, though (the UK is not part of it), which means a slightly longer way to your gate. Still, don't worry at all, you'll certainly make it, unless your flight from LHR is very late. A3 often waits for connecting passengers.
I have a similar question to ask.

Flying AF CDG-ATH arriving in ATH at 1735. Will need to collect bags in ATH and check in with A3 for a flight to Santorini. I am trying to decide between the 19:10 and the 21:35 departure from ATH. I would prefer the 19:10 departure but wondering if I will have enough time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I have a similar question to ask.

Flying AF CDG-ATH arriving in ATH at 1735. Will need to collect bags in ATH and check in with A3 for a flight to Santorini. I am trying to decide between the 19:10 and the 21:35 departure from ATH. I would prefer the 19:10 departure but wondering if I will have enough time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
1910 is too tight. You have to get bags then go to check in upstairs then past security again. You could try it but personally I would not.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by DELLAS
1910 is too tight. You have to get bags then go to check in upstairs then past security again. You could try it but personally I would not.
Would you suggest buying a FLEX fare for the 1910 flight and if I can't make it just change it to the later flight? How are the loads for those flights in mid-August?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:33 am

You could do that but then August is peak and this year advance bookings for the Islands are way up on last year. Flights may be full. I personally would secure a place on the later flight and then try for an earlier one. That way you are guaranteed to get to your destination rather than being in a situation where you missed your early connection and they have no seats on the last flight out .
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:36 pm

I am connecting A3 to A3 (domestic to domestic) ... in 50 mins. I'm assuming (hoping?) this should work.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:05 pm

Connecting in ATH

In late November I have an A3 booking from HER - ATH - LHR. A recent schedule change has left me with what looks like quite a tight connection in ATH.

I arrive at 18:25 on A3323 and depart at 19:10 on A3608. Is 45 minutes comfortable enough to make the connection, considering I will be going from domestic to non-schengen?

If the inbound flight is late what will A3 likely offer as my options? I am on a cheap 'GoLight' economy fare and hold no status with *A. Would they possibly re-route me on to the later EZY flight to LGW or can I expect to be in a hotel overnight until the next available flight the following day?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:42 am

If there are no big delays and no luggage re-checking, 45 min is enough time, but not necessary comfortable: The gates that are furthest away are ~800 meters from each other, and you can always try to "push" your way through passport control and security. As for the second question, sorry, but I don't have any clues.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
If the inbound flight is late what will A3 likely offer as my options? I am on a cheap 'GoLight' economy fare and hold no status with *A. Would they possibly re-route me on to the later EZY flight to LGW or can I expect to be in a hotel overnight until the next available flight the following day?
Most probably they can not rebook you on Easy Jet. They don't have any interline agreements with any carriers:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.9 - Reference: Interline Agreements [IET]: U2]
Code:
CARRIER DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN E-TICKET INTERLINE AGREEMENTS
If no other way to rebook you to your final destination, they should offer you accomodation...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:04 pm

I'm seeking some advice as well. We are flying CHQ (Chania, Crete) - ATH - CDG. We have ATH-CDG on A3 but have not purchased our CHQ-ATH flight yet. We basically have two options. Arrive late the night before on Ryanair and stay the night nearby or take the early A3 flight the morning of our ATH-CDG flight.

Option 1:
CHQ-ATH the night before on Ryanair + hotel near airport (any recommendations?)

Option 2:
CHQ-ATH at 6:20AM, arrive at 7:20AM for a 8:35 departure to CDG, all on A3. I think it's a bonus to get an extra night on Crete but this would make for an early morning.

I'm curious as to how our luggage would be handled if we went the all A3 route. We are on a business class award from ATH-CDG. If we get a separate ticket, would the connecting business ticket give us any advantage on luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.