Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, Montreal

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
valet parking at the QEH

I seem to recall that if you want to valet park your car, when you first arrive at the hotel, you can go to the side entrance and the doorman there will take care of the valet parking for you.
When you retrieve it, you'd go to the basement level where the parking people are, and they will get the car for you.
So if you tip when you leave the car, you are tipping the doorman.
When you tip when retrieving the car, you are tipping a different group of people.
So in the past I've tipped both of them. I figure, after a few hundred dollars spent there, what's a few extra loonies.

I guess you can also drive the car into the garage area and have the people there park it for you, but I've not done that and I don't know the procedure. Can someone shed some light on this?
Old May 25, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Sounds like you´ll have a nice stay!

Many (junior) suites only have a Queen bed (about 1.60m x 2.00m), if you´re the only person staying in the room, a Queen bed is very comfortable, if there are two people in the room a queen bed can be a little small.

Regarding tipping: Tipping is not madatory, but it is expected:

$2 for valet parking is acceptable though some people would say $5 is more appropiate (some would argue the service is better/faster if you tip more); i fyou plan to leave the hotel several times per day I´d tip no more than $10/day

bell staff: generally $1-$2 per piece of luggage; $5 is fine (unless you´re travelling with ten suit cases)
And unfortunately we will be 2 in the room!

For the tip, i will do 2$! Because I think I can ask for my car from my room (so if ask 5-10 min before leaving) so dont need better/faster service!

For luggage, only 1-2 so 5$ will be good!

Thanks for the tips!
Old May 25, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by alelex
And unfortunately we will be 2 in the room!
I've done 2 in the room in their queen bed. They are big enough (and I'm a pretty big fella). Unless you really super-sized, I think you'll find the queen adequate.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
So all will be good!
Old May 25, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Just got back from a weekend at the Queen Elizabeth. Used a suite upgrade from a regular room, and I'm not sure why, but we were double-upgraded to the Maisonneuve Suite (2016) on the Executive Suites floor. Unbelievable amount of space for the two of us. Full kitchen, dining room, library, living room, hallway, two bathrooms, and an awesome bedroom. Bigger than the main floor for most people's houses.

A few strange things about this room though (I'd love to hear thoughts from others who may have stayed there):
- no safe in room (we found this very odd)
- the bedroom in this suite connects to another room, if you had a bigger group. However, at night, we could hear the guests in the other room. It seemed a little odd given how nice this room was, but it didn't bother us since we both just wore earplugs and slept very soundly.
- fit and finish were great for the most part, but a little run down in some areas (like the closets). I gather that's how many people describe this hotel.

A great stay, all in all.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Early check-in...a joke!

What does Guaranteed early check-in as Platinum mean? I had requested 1pm but then changed flights so I arrived at 3pm, yes 2 hours later, yet here I sit waiting for my Suite to be "verified" it's ready. Was told at check-in it shows it us ready but not yet verified. I've been waiting for over 45 minutes as still no call to tell me it us ready (

What good is this privilege if it is not take seriously?
Old May 27, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by epost77
What does Guaranteed early check-in as Platinum mean? I had requested 1pm but then changed flights so I arrived at 3pm, yes 2 hours later, yet here I sit waiting for my Suite to be "verified" it's ready. Was told at check-in it shows it us ready but not yet verified. I've been waiting for over 45 minutes as still no call to tell me it us ready (

What good is this privilege if it is not take seriously?
I don´t think there´s a set "early check-in time" in the T&C, but I fully agree with you that 3p.m. is pretty unacceptable if you informed the hotel about the early check-in in advance.

Generally speaking I think it´s not unreasonable to expect a 12p.m./1p.m. early check-in (which is in line with early check-in offered with some packages, as a Virtuoso benefit etc.)
Old May 27, 2011, 2:01 pm

Still waiting 1 hour later(( Wonder what I should be receiving as "apology" gift?

Totally unacceptable.
Old May 27, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Still waiting 1 hour later(( Wonder what I should be receiving as "apology" gift?

Totally unacceptable.
It´s 4p.m. now in YUL and your suite still isn´t ready yet? Have you checked with the front desk? Very unimpressive indeed...

(I have often been told they´d call me on my cell phone once the room is ready but it only works 50% of the time, so I usually follow up at the front desk)

Not sure what kind of "apology" you can expect. I once received a comp. drink at the bar and a comp. lunch another time when my room wasn´t ready, but that was more of an exception than the rule.

On a recent stay the hotel had all my info (early check-in request for 1.00p.m., flight number, exact arrival time) and I was still sent away twice until I finally received my suite at 3.30p.m. I did send the GM a note that I was less than impressed, received a pleasant/apologetic reply, but that was it.
Old May 27, 2011, 2:29 pm

Got into my room at about 4:10pm. My one bedroom suite is nice but my view is of scaffolding and I hear hammering almost constantly (( Takes up 1/2 the window. I just have to laugh at this experience. Should have stayed at the conf hotel but instead I choose to be loyal...
Old May 27, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Got into my room at about 4:10pm. My one bedroom suite is nice but my view is of scaffolding and I hear hammering almost constantly (( Takes up 1/2 the window. I just have to laugh at this experience. Should have stayed at the conf hotel but instead I choose to be loyal...
Sorry to hear about your check in experience, and today the weather here is quite awful as well.

I live in Montreal but would not consider the QE as a preferred hotel, regardless of loyalty. For some strange reason though, I like The Royal York in Toronto.

If it continues raining, you can explore the undeground shopping malls without getting wet, starting right at the QE.

Enjoy Montreal as much as you can.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:02 pm

Thought I would update the situation. I was offered a chance to move to the Gold Floor but regular room...declined. Then was offered complimentary buffett breakfast for 2 for 4 days! Offer accepted!

I must say when Fairmont messes up they know how to fix it. Once again a happy customer!

Thanks Fairmont!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
I've got 2 weeks stay at this hotel coming up - for work. ^

Any tips or tricks for enjoying it? (I'm out of certs for this year).

I understand hotel is connected to Montreal underground, definately plan on exploring it. Hotel does not look as grand some of the other, stately Fairmonts in Canada.

Is it rennovated, or old and dusty?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.461 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

There are some renovated rooms but it is a very old hotel. I've had great success being upgraded without certs

It is connected to the underground but make sure you go north, south would be into office buildings with few options for returning. Place ville marie is the direction you should take

The gym is quite good as well

The cheese plate at check in usually has 3-4 cheeses and some nice fruit

I've always enjoyed the service of the hotel very much but some of the rooms seriously need a reno

I stay at this hotel 5-6 times a year
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:19 pm

I stayed at this hotel a couple of times this year, and was extremely disappointed. The rooms are extremely tiny, there is an old mouldy smell throughout the hotel, the TV is an old-school CRT, and the room is just dated in general. I tried calling room service, but the elderly man on the other end was hearing-impaired. I kept ordering "poutine", and he kept responding, "vegetables?" After four times, I politely hung up, and just went down to the lobby to place my order... they apologized and asked if we wanted chocolate sweets due to the issues, we said yes, but then noticed that they had charged us for them!

All-in-all... stay at the Hilton just down the street - you are also connected to the underground city, and it's a far nicer hotel... plus the Exec Lounge staff are excellent there!

My wife is Fairmont Platinum, but we didn't get any upgrades (despite trying to apply either Room OR Suite certs) since the hotel was "full"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.