Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I hate FeeBasedIncome more than anything.
Old May 31, 2010, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
Does this apply to previously made bookings?
Started couple of weeks ago, and the way the agent was describing it.. would be a charge for each adult per night.

I'm seeing that the hotels had to drop their rates for the summer because of low bookings. Would this help to increase room occupancy, by dropping the rate? I noticed Kea Lani was starting $499 for a suite for awhile.. Not its $399. Banff was $449 for a Fairmont Room.. but the Local's Know Package that I just posted on the Package Thread is publicly advertised for $299, and that includes a $125 resort credit. So that means the room is $174. The NFAF rate manually booking for Fairmont Room is $189. So the publicly advertised rate is lower than the Friends and Family Rate.. and you get the Airline Miles with Local's Know - 125 year National Park Celebration Package.

Has anyone experienced this charge first hand yet? I guess there's a discrepancy between $10 per person per night resort fee, as opposed to $10 per night per room. This must be a big issue, because reservations rightaway told me about the resort fee, and made a big effort to be clear about the details. This charge will be added onto complimentary nights used as well.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Started couple of weeks ago, and the way the agent was describing it.. would be a charge for each adult per night.

Has anyone experienced this charge first hand yet? I guess there's a discrepancy between $10 per person per night resort fee, as opposed to $10 per night per room. This must be a big issue, because reservations rightaway told me about the resort fee, and made a big effort to be clear about the details. This charge will be added onto complimentary nights used as well.
Wow. I've just lost a lot of respect for the brand and especially the BSH if they are the only doing it, for going down this road. In my circles, people come to me for travel help/advice and over the past year, I've gotten family, friends, and work colleagues all staying at Fairmonts to the tune of ~70+ paid nights. Because of this, I won't be encouraging it anymore. I feel that strongly about it. Pure deceptive shystering, nothing more.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anti_ice
Wow. I've just lost a lot of respect for the brand and especially the BSH if they are the only doing it, for going down this road. In my circles, people come to me for travel help/advice and over the past year, I've gotten family, friends, and work colleagues all staying at Fairmonts to the tune of ~70+ paid nights. Because of this, I won't be encouraging it anymore. I feel that strongly about it. Pure deceptive shystering, nothing more.
Maybe I should be more uptight about it since reading these posts. So far, initially when I posted, I'm feeling BSH is the only hotel that ever included gratuities for everyone in the room rates.. so if they are collecting gratuities for their employees I would be ok since BSH is the only hotel providing this service. $20 per night would be steep though.. I would be more in agreement say with $10. Theres' about 750 rooms in the hotel.. say typical 50% occupancy rate would be $7,500 in tips per day.. that's $2,740,000 approximately per year. If 250 employees is getting gratuities, as bell, general workers, chamber maids, etc (took a number out of the sky), then its just over $10,000 per employee per year. Maybe that's a bit much or theres more employees than meets the eye.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I have no problem giving gratuities in general (although I do think they should be given voluntarily).

I suppose I must admit that my intensity in this thread stems from all organizations that have started doing this. BSH is just the latest and is getting piled on.

If you want to charge more, THEN CHARGE MORE!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
FAIRMONT BANFF SPRINGS HOTEL SPECIAL NOTE: Starting two weeks ago, Banff Springs now has a $10 per adult per night Resort Fee. This fee covers gratuities for chamber maids, bell, gardeners, pool workers, etc. So for an example.. 3 nights stay, 2 adults, 2 children would be a total of $60 resort fee.

Agree its steep for a family and a resort fee is a big negative....they should also add it covers for the one person who pays the daily spa fee then sneaks in 8 friends free to hog the chairs & pools, etc...I was told avg 1800+ overall are employed for the facility in a 24 hr day last summer. If indeed they plan to pre charge for tips its only going to hurt those who deserve a tip for effort made while undeserving people get a freebie. Maybe Fairmont wages are the issue and a hand in the pocket of every "paying" guest to cover that will backfire. Still, its hard to resist not going back but....
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE
I have two upcoming stays booked before this charge came into force. Should it continue my plans for September, November and December will move elsewhere.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Surfer

Agree its steep for a family and a resort fee is a big negative....they should also add it covers for the one person who pays the daily spa fee then sneaks in 8 friends free to hog the chairs & pools, etc...I was told avg 1800+ overall are employed for the facility in a 24 hr day last summer. If indeed they plan to pre charge for tips its only going to hurt those who deserve a tip for effort made while undeserving people get a freebie. Maybe Fairmont wages are the issue and a hand in the pocket of every "paying" guest to cover that will backfire. Still, its hard to resist not going back but....
We frequent BSH Willowstream.. you mean people pay $49 and sneak in people.. how does that work?

$2,740,000 divided by 1,800 employees (which includes restaurant staff that gets tips, so should be minimum of what staff gets in a year). $1,500+ per year per employee, assuming the same 1,800 employees work throughout the year.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
[QUOTE=Ancien Maestro;14058347]We frequent BSH Willowstream.. you mean people pay $49 and sneak in people.. how does that work?

$2,740,000 divided by 1,800 employees (which includes restaurant staff that gets tips, so should be minimum of what staff gets in a year). $1,500+ per year per employee, assuming the same 1,800 employees work throughout the year.[/QUOTE]

One person pays for single access and goes in, sets up some chairs w/ towels/robes etc then goes back out and boldly brings friends in a few at a time as if they just stepped out. Once past the door free access traveling with the single payer to changing rooms, outdoor jacuzzi, indoor mineral pool/falls/sauna and food too. Not spa extra fee services. Its the Spa desk's fault as they don't check people coming in. I complained but it still kept happening while we were there. Bold beats Fair sometimes.

PS. To beat the Willowstream crowds we'd go at 6:30 and watch the sun come up from the outdoor hot tub....Morning mountain air, quiet & peaceful...worth every penny.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:30 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE=Ancien Maestro;14058347]We frequent BSH Willowstream.. you mean people pay $49 and sneak in people.. how does that work?

$2,740,000 divided by 1,800 employees (which includes restaurant staff that gets tips, so should be minimum of what staff gets in a year). $1,500+ per year per employee, assuming the same 1,800 employees work throughout the year.

One person pays for single access and goes in, sets up some chairs w/ towels/robes etc then goes back out and boldly brings friends in a few at a time as if they just stepped out. Once past the door free access traveling with the single payer to changing rooms, outdoor jacuzzi, indoor mineral pool/falls/sauna and food too. Not spa extra fee services. Its the Spa desk's fault as they don't check people coming in. I complained but it still kept happening while we were there. Bold beats Fair sometimes.

PS. To beat the Willowstream crowds we'd go at 6:30 and watch the sun come up from the outdoor hot tub....Morning mountain air, quiet & peaceful...worth every penny.
]

Funny, we go afternoons/evenings (about average 12 hours later) and tag team it.. one sits with the kids while the other goes and relaxes. My four year old wants to go into the main pool too lots.. I usually look like a prune by the end of the day.

Great technique for the bottom feeders to get into Willowstream though. The staff knows me and my wife by name though.. so it would be embarrassing to try and sneak in for free. Usually, if we want, we'll inquire diplomatically.. and an employee would extend courtesy entry.. but we'll both have a treatment anyways, so it would on a day that we don't have a massage going on.

A tip.. book Escape to Willowstream Package.. on the day before your massage, Willowstream will allow spa access entry the entire day before.. this is legal, and the staff has encourage us to do this.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat

Are you sure the first person pays anything? The spa access code is the same as the fitness room, which can be obtained gratis by an FPC member . Or perhaps the bottom feeders would book an evening treatment, then reschedule it each day for the following day... using the facilities prior to rebooking. There are lots of ways to get in free. I have not personally excercised any of these options, nor do I know anyone who has, but spa "security" isn't exactly Fort Knox.

Having said that, I spent a week at the FBS in mid May, and although i did not use the spa this time whatsoever (three young kids, lots of pool time), we had a spa suite that overlooked the whirlpool and outdoor area. Other than one morning of our stay, it didn't appear to be particularly crowded.

SG
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Are you sure the first person pays anything? The spa access code is the same as the fitness room, which can be obtained gratis by an FPC member . Or perhaps the bottom feeders would book an evening treatment, then reschedule it each day for the following day... using the facilities prior to rebooking. There are lots of ways to get in free. I have not personally excercised any of these options, nor do I know anyone who has, but spa "security" isn't exactly Fort Knox.

Having said that, I spent a week at the FBS in mid May, and although i did not use the spa this time whatsoever (three young kids, lots of pool time), we had a spa suite that overlooked the whirlpool and outdoor area. Other than one morning of our stay, it didn't appear to be particularly crowded.

SG
I thought the codes for the spa and fitness was different.. hmm.. nice strategy.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Once again, Banff Springs upgrades never dissapoint. Upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite no problem, with "every effort" to get me into 1054. Either way I am happy for a free upgrade! Lake Louise just won't get my business until they start giving out better than a Jr. Suite.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
funny all I got was a measly jr suite. I even asked for an upgrade by trying to reach out to GM. How do you guys do it?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 300rwhp
funny all I got was a measly jr suite. I even asked for an upgrade by trying to reach out to GM. How do you guys do it?
Depends if you arrive on a weekend where all the suites are sold out, and all there is left is the junior suite. When booking using your suite upgrade, book the 1 bedroom suite, and you won't be dissappointed. Once your history is established, they'll know what you like.. If you've been satisfied with the Jr. Suite, they'll keep you in it.. so book only the 1 bedroom suite at time of reservation.

If they are upgrading you from a room, then a Jr. Suite received at time of check-in is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.