Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Mercure hotels very good?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Question Are Mercure hotels very good?

Hello everyone. As I mentioned before Flyertalk, I'm traveling to Paris for the first time in over ten years.

During my last trip to Paris, I stayed at a low-cost budget hotel called Ibis. And to be honest, I did not enjoy my stay at that property.

Earlier this week, I thought about making a reservation at the 4-star Crowne Plaza on the Place de la République.

However, during my visit, I'm going to a concert at Le Zénith in the northeastern part of the city. And attendance at this concert is 100% general admission, which means that concertgoers will start queuing at the venue early in the morning.

I'm now considering a stay at the Mercure hotel near the Porte de Pantin Metro station. That hotel is right across the street from the Zénith complex.

According to Google Maps, you can find Mercure hotels scattered throughout Paris. So I figured that they're a pretty popular hotel chain for tourists.

Based on my research, the Mercure chain is owned by Accor, and consists of midscale hotel properties. But I don't know how well-received they are by the public.

Are Mercure hotels good?

Thank you everyone!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It depends if they have been renovated or not.There are some very good ones and some terrible ones. The 2 ones at Porte de Pantin near le Zénith have never looked very appealing to me from the outside. I want to say that I never stayed there, so this is only a comment about the outside looking aspect. Look at the pictures online to see how it looks like and make your own judgement.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:10 pm

It depends on which specific hotels.

Some Mercure hotels are excellent, however some are not very good (in the UK there are some pretty poor Mercure hotels).

I’d look a pictures and reviews online before booking one.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have stayed at Mercure hotels, which were great and others were pretty lousy...

in Paris I have stayed at Mercure Notre-Dame Saint Germain des Prés (beside some other Accor hotels). The location is great, but the rooms are rather small but functionality, appliances and furniture good.
service also rather basic but reliable
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:11 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to stay away from budget hotels this time around. And Ibis hotels (which are owned by Accor) are typically budget accommodations.

I didn't like the Ibis that I stayed at during my last trip Paris, because the shower stall was tiny, and because the room itself looked outdated. It was like I was staying at a 2-star hotel or hostel.

I usually like to stay at 4-star hotels when I travel. My bare minimum is 3.5-star hotels.

I've read that Mercure hotels are generally equal in quality to Novotel hotels (which are also owned by Accor).

Are TripAdvisor reviews accurate and reliable?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: HHD
I always look at the reviews of Tripadvisor and Booking. The larger the number of reviews (a few hundred or thousand) will enable you to make a qualified decision. Usually ignore the very poor and the overly enthousiastic one-line reviews, as four and three star reviews often give an objective impression by mentions the cons and pros. In addition I filter on 'most recent'.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
I'm trying to stay away from budget hotels this time around. And Ibis hotels (which are owned by Accor) are typically budget accommodations.

I didn't like the Ibis that I stayed at during my last trip Paris, because the shower stall was tiny, and because the room itself looked outdated. It was like I was staying at a 2-star hotel or hostel.

I usually like to stay at 4-star hotels when I travel. My bare minimum is 3.5-star hotels.

I've read that Mercure hotels are generally equal in quality to Novotel hotels (which are also owned by Accor).

Are TripAdvisor reviews accurate and reliable?
I would say look at the photographs that travellers have submitted rather than the Accor ones.

If the building and interior look new on the traveller photographs then chances are it will be a new or recently renovated Mercure and probably quite good.

If the rooms or hotel looks old and outdated on the traveller photographs I would probably be careful - and double check if they are selling renovated rooms at a different price.

I would also look at the reviews that give a bit more detail about what was good or bad - then you can get a better impression of what the hotel is actually like.
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: Costco Club
Mercure is an interesting chain. It’s tough for me as a US based traveler to pick a similar chain to compare it to, maybe Radisson? Some are old and out of date but still okay in my opinion and others are nice. It’s a mid-range chain IMO
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:01 pm

Mercure hotels

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
Hello everyone. As I mentioned before Flyertalk, I'm traveling to Paris for the first time in over ten years.

During my last trip to Paris, I stayed at a low-cost budget hotel called Ibis. And to be honest, I did not enjoy my stay at that property.

....!
I have stayed at Mercure inside Schipol airport in Amsterdam a few times - very convenient. Clean efficient well-run.
I stayed at a short stay airport hotel in Charles de Gaulle airport - not sure if Mercure - I think so ? Similar positive experience.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like Mercure, but I like Ibis, so I think my standards are different from yours. But it's very true that the quality varies dramatically from one property to another, rather like Holiday Inn.

But if your event is close to the Metro stop, I don't know why you feel you need to overnight there. You still have to leave the hotel and go get in line at the venue. It's not as though you can go back and forth to your room. The only reason for staying there would be if the concert lasted until after the Metro stops running.

I'd just stay where I wanted, and take the Metro to the concert and get in line.

(Don't do the Crowne Plaza Republique. I've considered staying there in the past, but my research suggested it wasn't a good idea.)
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotturnip
(Don't do the Crowne Plaza Republique. I've considered staying there in the past, but my research suggested it wasn't a good idea.)
Um, this is a little off-topic.

But what's wrong with the Crowne Plaza Place de la République?

My mother stayed there for four nights when she and her sister traveled to Paris before COVID. And she loved it there.

And my mother and my aunt were part of tour group from Trafalgar, and everyone on the tour had no problems with their accommodations.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many brands in the Accor group
How they rank subject to an individual opinion.
Will be a big overlap and differences between individual properties. As well as country differences.
Over time if hotels do not get enough customers they will close and/or rebrand.

From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accor
Luxury:
  • Raffles
  • Orient Express
  • Faena
  • Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts
  • Delano
  • Sofitel Legend
  • Fairmont
  • SLS
  • SO/
  • Sofitel
  • The House of Originals
  • Rixos
  • onefinestay
Premium:
  • Mantis
  • MGallery
  • Art Series
  • Mondrian
  • Pullman
  • Swissôtel
  • Angsana
  • 25 Hours
  • Hyde
  • Mövenpick
  • Grand Mercure
  • Peppers
  • The Sebel
  • Adagio premium

Midscale:
  • Mantra
  • Novotel
  • Mercure
  • Adagio
  • Mama Shelter
  • Tribe

Economy:
  • Breakfree
  • ibis
  • ibis Styles
  • ibis Budget
  • Jo&Joe
  • hotelF1
  • greet
  • Adagio access
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
In my experience, Mercure's are a bit all over the place. A lot seem to be conversion of older hotels, and while they are clean and functional, they do show their age. Some are new builds.

As others have said, investigate the individual properties.In most case, they will be better than an Ibis, but not by much.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
in my experience staying at Ibis, you know what you can expect; most of the hotels are very similar, also usually maximum 2 room categories, no lounge, nothing fancy
but at Mercure as midscale hotel chain the differences are huge...sometimes just 2 room categories, sometimes more with even suites, sometimes just simple breakfast room and no other restaurants/lounge/outlets and sometimes lounge and several good restaurants
Old Jan 29, 2023, 3:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Are you looping for Mercure Paris 19 Philharmonie La Villette Hotel ?
I stayed there years ago and I did not like the place (rooms were old and not well maintened). The hotel has not been renovated since.
I think it is one of the worst Mercure in Paris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.