Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel charging for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by LeClubVirgin
thanks goldorak - its the Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto. The room category I booked is executive room, which is the highest "room" and they only have 1 level up which is a suite. Funnily enough this is the text from reservations:

Regarding to your benefit Kindly be informed you also our hotel regulations that we only provided room upgrade until executive room. If you would like to upgrade to the suite room it will be charged of Rp. 700,000 nett/night upgrade from Executive room.
If it's a flex rate and the rates haven't changed, I'd cancel and rebook one category below executive.

You gotta vote with your $$$. Otherwise, hotels will never learn.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
So this is the reply I got - quite astounding I think.

Refer to you request for free upgrade to Suite Room, Kindly please be informed that Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto is Midscale brand in Accorhotels property.

According AccorLiveLimitless rules, We are not participating hotel for Suite Night Upgrade and the free upgrade will be based on room availability also for another room types.

Please see below screenshot the AccorHotels Member Benefit for your reference , especially no.9 to clarify this matter ;

You may enjoy our Suite room with Upsell charge with below explanation from our reservationist.

LeClub Virgin, FYI

This case is being looked into by Accor. The fact that they don't upgrade is a mistake on their part.

Mid tier hotels don't participate in SNU. So that second email is correct.
wkndtraveler likes this.

Last edited by gilbertaue; Dec 9, 2019 at 3:10 am
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:09 am
R2

Isn't there an important distinction between requesting and getting an upgrade confirmed before check-in and at check-in? The complimentary upgrade benefit is very clear about being at check-in upon availability. The way I read OP's initial post is that the request took place prior to check-in.

Regardless, I agree that the hotel's policy of only upgraging up to Exec room is not in line with the stated ALL upgrade benefit.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:49 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by R2
Isn't there an important distinction between requesting and getting an upgrade confirmed before check-in and at check-in? The complimentary upgrade benefit is very clear about being at check-in upon availability. The way I read OP's initial post is that the request took place prior to check-in.

Regardless, I agree that the hotel's policy of only upgraging up to Exec room is not in line with the stated ALL upgrade benefit.
Correct. What the hotel should have replied was simply:

Yes we upgrade, subject to availability.
wkndtraveler and hotel_user like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:49 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
So this is the reply I got - quite astounding I think.

Refer to you request for free upgrade to Suite Room, Kindly please be informed that Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto is Midscale brand in Accorhotels property.

According AccorLiveLimitless rules, We are not participating hotel for Suite Night Upgrade and the free upgrade will be based on room availability also for another room types.

Please see below screenshot the AccorHotels Member Benefit for your reference , especially no.9 to clarify this matter ;

You may enjoy our Suite room with Upsell charge with below explanation from our reservationist.
Why the lounge access isn't listed in this table?
hotel_user and starflyergold like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JTCz
How about we start a "black list" Wiki, this may be more effective than complaining to Accor.
Good idea. There was one started some years ago but it didn’t go very far. We should reactivate it
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...-benefits.html
starflyergold, hotel_user and R.O. like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor diamond
Originally Posted by R2

I understand it is subject to availability however it shouldnt be chargable - this is the issue at hand.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
LeClub Virgin, FYI

This case is being looked into by Accor. The fact that they don't upgrade is a mistake on their part.

Mid tier hotels don't participate in SNU. So that second email is correct.
so should I be informed of any developments? Should I keep my reservation or cancel it? I already logged a call with accor customer services so I would hope that you arent privy to information about that call before me.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
I understand it is subject to availability however it shouldnt be chargable - this is the issue at hand.
I actually think it's completely reasonable that it's chargeable when it's done prior to check-in. You can pay an upgrade fee now and be sure to get the upgrade, or you can gamble and hope that there is still availability at check-in (and if there is, you should of course get the upgrade for free - also to the suite). The hotel is taking a risk that someone would like to book that room for full price between now and check-in, and the "upgrade fee" is basically pricing this risk assumed by the hotel.

The only issue at hand I see here is their policy of not upgrading to suites.
nrouxel likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:20 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nander
I actually think it's completely reasonable that it's chargeable when it's done prior to check-in. You can pay an upgrade fee now and be sure to get the upgrade, or you can gamble and hope that there is still availability at check-in (and if there is, you should of course get the upgrade for free - also to the suite). The hotel is taking a risk that someone would like to book that room for full price between now and check-in, and the "upgrade fee" is basically pricing this risk assumed by the hotel.

The only issue at hand I see here is their policy of not upgrading to suites.
I would disagree as would some other posters who are saying this seems to be a rouge hotel making their own policy. As noted it should have been a simple yes you will be upgraded subject to availability. The upgrade fee coincidentally is the same price as it would have been just to book the suite so kind of take your point on the gambling. Gambling is what most of us do when booking accor hotels...

anyway lets wait and see if we get any resolution or policy update from them or accor.

Last edited by LeClubVirgin; Dec 10, 2019 at 5:31 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:49 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

so should I be informed of any developments? Should I keep my reservation or cancel it? I already logged a call with accor customer services so I would hope that you arent privy to information about that call before me.
I have no idea about any calls. I'm just a member like you are - with some connections to TRY and move things along. I also don't follow up after I shoot off to them as the ball is in their court.

Nevertheless, I'd follow up with the hotel directly. I'd hope that by now the GM has had his hands slapped (on the first of the two issues).
Goldorak likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:17 am
Company Representative, Accorhotels

Programs: ALL - Accor Live Limitless
Dear LeClubVirgin,
Dear members,

Thanks for sharing the situation you have encountered with the Mercure Dkakarta Gatot Subroto. I have raised it to the ALL management team's attention. Could you kindly share with me by private your member's ID so that I can follow up with the operation teams.
Many thanks again,
With my best regards
Amy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.