Hotel charging for upgrade

Old Dec 8, 19, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor platinum
Hotel charging for upgrade

Hi all, I booked a room and requested an upgrade as normal, however the hotel emailed and said there is an additional charge as itís going from the top level room to a suite. They say they only upgrade from lower room category to higher room category. Is this normal or is this a consequence of the new suite night upgrade perk?
Old Dec 8, 19, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by LeClubVirgin View Post
Hi all, I booked a room and requested an upgrade as normal, however the hotel emailed and said there is an additional charge as itís going from the top level room to a suite. They say they only upgrade from lower room category to higher room category. Is this normal or is this a consequence of the new suite night upgrade perk?
Normally not, with the exception of high end suites (presidential suite, etc). But it would be helpful to have the name of the hotel and the different room categories. We heard multiple times from Accor that there would be no downgrade of existing perks and, if what you report is linked with the introduction of the SNU, that would be a downgrade or it can be just another hotel who set up their own rules. So please share more details.

Last edited by Goldorak; Dec 8, 19 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 8, 19, 7:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Still ALL Plat, HH Gold
We have always been charged if we wanted an upgrade before check in, and never accepted. ( Even at Ibis level - view of river or view of street ) Some hotels can not upgrade as "fully booked", but most will upgrade or offer something upon check in. A few nice hotels will e mail after the reservation to state that they have proactive;y upgraded, especially the higher end of Accor. ( and definitely in APAC ) We tend to go back to these hotels as they value loyalty.

Think we need to start a new thread with these results.

I am not aiming for the next tier on Accor, as at the moment I don't think it is worth the extra spends. Prefer to split with Hilton for the free breakfasts at a humble Gold level there.

Hope I am wrong.
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Normally not, with the exception of high end suites (presidential suite, etc). But it would be helpful to have the name of the hotel and the different room categories. We heard multiple times from Accor that there would be no downgrade of existing perks and, if what you report is linked with the introduction of the SNU, that would be a downgrade to just another hotel who set up their own rules. So please share more details.

thanks goldorak - its the Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto. The room category I booked is executive room, which is the highest "room" and they only have 1 level up which is a suite. Funnily enough this is the text from reservations:

Regarding to your benefit Kindly be informed you also our hotel regulations that we only provided room upgrade until executive room. If you would like to upgrade to the suite room it will be charged of Rp. 700,000 nett/night upgrade from Executive room.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotel_user View Post
We have always been charged if we wanted an upgrade before check in, and never accepted. ( Even at Ibis level - view of river or view of street ) Some hotels can not upgrade as "fully booked", but most will upgrade or offer something upon check in. A few nice hotels will e mail after the reservation to state that they have proactive;y upgraded, especially the higher end of Accor. ( and definitely in APAC ) We tend to go back to these hotels as they value loyalty.

Think we need to start a new thread with these results.

I am not aiming for the next tier on Accor, as at the moment I don't think it is worth the extra spends. Prefer to split with Hilton for the free breakfasts at a humble Gold level there.

Hope I am wrong.
is that an upgrade to a suite or just generally? This is the first time I've been asked to pay for an upgrade, usually they are given 90% of the time to next room cat above.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:30 am
R2

Please see below the text from their website explaining the upgrade benefit. Maybe they claim the suite in question is 'one-of-a-kind'...the other 7 similar suites have a different room number

On a more serious note, if you're asking the get the upgrade confirmed before check-in, they have the right to ask you to pay for it IMO. If at check-in the suite is available and they are asking you to pay, then you could produce a print-out of the below policy and argue.

Old Dec 8, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
thanks goldorak - its the Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto. The room category I booked is executive room, which is the highest "room" and they only have 1 level up which is a suite. Funnily enough this is the text from reservations:

Regarding to your benefit Kindly be informed you also our hotel regulations that we only provided room upgrade until executive room. If you would like to upgrade to the suite room it will be charged of Rp. 700,000 nett/night upgrade from Executive room.
it does seem much more as the own hotel ďpolicyĒ. Very arguable ....

I would have at least cancelled my reservation and done it newly at basic room, then claiming a free upgrade at executive room (as their ďpolicyĒ)

it is surely not the only one hotel doing that, but I find quite inappropriate to write clearly about it.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Still ALL Plat, HH Gold
is that an upgrade to a suite or just generally? This is the first time I've been asked to pay for an upgrade, usually they are given 90% of the time to next room cat above.

We normally book the lowest category of room that we would be happy to receive, so if there is no upgrade ( 20% ish of the time ) there is no problem. This mostly occurs in the mid to lower class of hotel type. On the higher status Pullman, Sofitem and even MGallery - the upgrade is normally to a Junior Suite. The better upgrades are in APAC, and we have had some stunning experiences in Poland ( but some not so good ). The Pullman Phuket booked standard room offered pool villa but declined due to mobility problems, given a top floor Junior suite - and a really good stay - again review on way.

However, such as Budapest Chain Bridge - e mail offer of an upgrade for more that you could book the room - declined - but was given a "one level" upgrade to a city view room that had the worst Sofitel bed we had ever experienced until the poor value Sofitel Kribi ( review will happen ). Only one level upgrade there as well.

My experience is that you will be upgraded most of the time with out too much problems in a higher end hotel, sometimes even to a Junior Suite, but not often to anything higher., except in APAC.
LeClubVirgin likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:27 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto.
Oh what joy, yet another Accor hotel making up their own rules. This is not normal and neither is it acceptable. At a Mercure... give me strength....
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Oh what joy, yet another Accor hotel making up their own rules. This is not normal and neither is it acceptable. At a Mercure... give me strength....

I believe this indeed an hotel who makes its own rules. The part of T&C given below R2 refers to exceptional suites like royal/presidential suites but it certainly does not apply to a regular suite at this Mercure. Paging Amy, please give us your opinion on this case of hotel highly suspected to be out of policy .

Originally Posted by R2 View Post
Please see below the text from their website explaining the upgrade benefit. Maybe they claim the suite in question is 'one-of-a-kind'...the other 7 similar suites have a different room number

On a more serious note, if you're asking the get the upgrade confirmed before check-in, they have the right to ask you to pay for it IMO. If at check-in the suite is available and they are asking you to pay, then you could produce a print-out of the below policy and argue.

starflyergold likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I believe this indeed an hotel who makes its own rules. The part of T&C given below R2 refers to exceptional suites like royal/presidential suites but it certainly does not apply to a regular suite at this Mercure. Paging Amy, please give us your opinion on this case of hotel highly suspected to be out of policy .
is it worth me asking to escalate or getting customer services involved? Totally get when itís a presidential suite or whatever but for a Mercure or NOVOTEL seems very out of hand.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it worth me asking to escalate or getting customer services involved? Totally get when itís a presidential suite or whatever but for a Mercure or NOVOTEL seems very out of hand.
You certainly may, IMO.
Old Dec 8, 19, 5:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
One thing is to escalate, the other is to simply avoid this hotel in the future. I believe Accor has plenty of options in Jakarta - never been there, so perhaps the difference in location is so pronounced one needs to stay with the property at fault, but otherwise, the good advice for LCAH members would be to avoid it.

How about we start a "black list" Wiki, this may be more effective than complaining to Accor.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:49 am
Original Poster

So this is the reply I got - quite astounding I think.

Refer to you request for free upgrade to Suite Room, Kindly please be informed that Mercure Jakarta Gatot Subroto is Midscale brand in Accorhotels property.

According AccorLiveLimitless rules, We are not participating hotel for Suite Night Upgrade and the free upgrade will be based on room availability also for another room types.

Please see below screenshot the AccorHotels Member Benefit for your reference , especially no.9 to clarify this matter ;

You may enjoy our Suite room with Upsell charge with below explanation from our reservationist.

Last edited by LeClubVirgin; Dec 9, 19 at 1:37 am Reason: Added photo from email
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JTCz View Post
One thing is to escalate, the other is to simply avoid this hotel in the future. I believe Accor has plenty of options in Jakarta - never been there, so perhaps the difference in location is so pronounced one needs to stay with the property at fault, but otherwise, the good advice for LCAH members would be to avoid it.

How about we start a "black list" Wiki, this may be more effective than complaining to Accor.
youre right there are tons of options with some nice hotels. Reason I chose this is because itís a new hotel I believe and the suite looks really nice for a mercure with a decent price tag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: