Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Mexico City Reforma

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle

Hi guys,

For the ones that did not read the "2019 hotels opening" thread, I was supposed to stay this week in Sofitel Mexico City.
The hotel was supposed to open on Sept 1st but opening was postponed to Oct 15th if everything goes well as there is still some construction work to be finished.
My booking was canceled and they managed to book me another equivalent hotel.
I had the chance to talk to the Sofitel GM (I guess I am a good client) and he gently invited me to visit the hotel before its official opening so here are some pictures of what is going to be "one of the nicest Sofitel in the world".

Before to start, Accor offer in Mexico city was very poor and top notch hotels as well.
4 Seasons used to be the top in the city but is getting old (25 years) and St Regis is around 10 years old so there was clearly a room for modern 5 star hotels and I am pretty sure this Sofitel will soon become on the Top 3 in the city.

Location is excellent (Paseo de la Reforma) between Polanco, Zona Rosa & Condesa (business area, safe & quite modern)

34 floors
Floor 1st to 9th - Parking
Floors 10th to 13th - Sofitel offices
Reception on 14th floor
Floor 14th to 34th - Superior Rooms / Luxury Rooms / Suites / Restaurants / Spa & Swimming pool / Bar / Le Club Lounge
2 types of rooms (Superior & Luxury) & 5 types of suites
Around 280 rooms in total for around 300 employees
Construction started in 2016

The hotel has been focused on design with very shape designs and a real luxury feeling that makes it a Sofitel 2.0.
A real change compared to all Sofitels I am used to in the US or Canada

Here are some pictures I was allowed to take while it is not finished yet (pardon me the poor quality, I am far from being a photographer

They managed to keep the old house that was there before
Nice integration
It will be a jazzy bar with a terrasse

View of the building from the entry

Lobby with valet & parking entry
Amazing light grey marble concierge desk (that I could not take in photo)

Reception & Lobby (on 14th floor)
Quite small compared to the hotel size but they will push to digitalize as much as possible check-in & check-out

Very beautiful ceiling lights

360 degrees view on Mexico city
Not many buildings are above 20 floors so the view is just amazing

Swimming pool on Floor 35 if I remember well
A pity this is only indoor but very nice indeed with flowered walls, jacuzzi and again an amazing design

Bar & Restaurant

Superior & Luxury Room
Around 35 sqm for the smallest one

All rooms are equipped with bluetooth and latest technology so we can connect mobile with TV, room speakers... that allows you to skip the Bose sound dock that is not working half of the time
Quite impressed by the technology installed even on "simple" rooms

Luxury Rooms

Junior Suite Bathtube

Presidential Suite (300 sqm) - Around 15 000 € a night
Was not able to take more pictures but really really nice place to spend a week or more

Terrasse Jacuzzi

Le Club Lounge

To conclude, I must say that I am impressed how modern the entire hotel is. Everything has been well designed, furnitures looks very fancy, amazing lightings...
This is a clear change with other Sofitel hotels that tend to be very traditional in terms of design.

I had the chance to visit the kitchens while the chefs were finalizing the menu and tastings and that was really a nice experience.
I should be back there for a more intensive review early december and I am already excited ! Really think this hotel will quickly become a reference for Sofitel brand around the world
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:22 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thank you!

Parts of it mirror the Sofitel Singapore City Centre.
Very nice!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: ALL
Thank you ! Great pictures - as gilbertaue mentioned the design is similar to what you would find in some "modern" Sofitels across Asia Pacific and nothing like the pre-2000 Sofitels you are used to in North America.
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Superb !!!
thank you
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Amazing (pre) review. Really wonderful pictures and wonderful property. 👍
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:27 am
Company Representative, Accorhotels

Programs: ALL - Accor Live Limitless
Dear matmatlr,

Thank you for your review and sharing with us the information before the hotel opens its doors.
Keep posting other reviews, it's much appreciated.

Best regards,
Amy
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by AccorHotels Concierge
Dear matmatlr,

Thank you for your review and sharing with us the information before the hotel opens its doors.
Keep posting other reviews, it's much appreciated.

Best regards,
Amy
You're welcome

Will be pleased to share an extensive review beginning of Dec as I will be staying there for a week.

Prestige suite booked, special request from the GM to its team to take care of me during my stay and I'll be close to 35 000 status points.

I am sure that with all that, I'll get a very nice stay and I am looking forward to it
Until that, its gonna be Pullman in Brazil, Mercure in Spain, Sofitel & Novotel in Canada and M Gallery in Italy
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Has it officially opened ?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

From what I heard, the hotel is now opened... but I guess not all rooms are already available
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Sofitel Mexico City Reforma = Impressive New Hotel

1 Review | 100% Recommended

297 Avenue Paseo De La Reforma Mexico City, MX 06500

Sofitel Mexico City Reforma = Impressive New Hotel (17 Photos)

I had a brief stay at Sofitel Mexico City Reforma to try this new property which opened in 2019.  I was quite impressed with my stay, this is a solid hotel which could possibly be a higher level brand than Sofitel and I can easily recommend it.  

Room

I booked the entry level room and was upgraded as Diamond guest to a Junior Suite.  The size of this room type seems to vary quite a bit, according to the hotel’s website they range from 42 to 68 sqm and judging from the floor plan my guess is that I had one of the larger variety, on a high floor with great views to boot.  I loved the bathroom which had L’Occitane products and a large window in the joint bathtub and shower area, and since there are no high-rise buildings nearby, there were no privacy issues whatsoever.  There was also a very large walk-in closet, plenty of space in the bedroom area with a long couch on the entire length of the room, and more space behind the bed with a working desk and a small dining table.  Since this is a new and modern hotel there were also some tech features such as electric blinds and shears, Netflix directly available on the TV, etc.  The only negative I could find to this room is that it might have been better without the carpet, or at least less of it in the living / bedroom areas.  There was a welcome gift waiting for me in the room which was a bowl of berries along with a bottle of local red wine.  

1_IMG_7125.jpeg1_IMG_7126.jpeg1_IMG_7127.jpeg1_IMG_7129.jpeg1_IMG_7130.jpeg1_IMG_7131.jpeg1_IMG_7132.jpegIMG_7134.jpeg1_IMG_7124.jpeg1_IMG_7146.jpeg

Dining

The Club Millesime Lounge was closed due to covid and breakfast was offered in the restaurant instead.  There was a self-serve buffet plus I was allowed one item from the a la carte menu.  The selection of fruits was very impressive, in fact among the best I have seen anywhere in the world, for example they had mangoes, many types of berries, figs, and other local exotic fruits.  The buffet also had smoked salmon, bakeries, and sweets.  

IMG_7136.jpg1_IMG_7137.jpeg1_IMG_7138.jpeg1_IMG_7139.jpeg1_IMG_7140.jpeg1_IMG_7141.jpeg

The room service menu was less impressive than breakfast because it contained mostly international choices; I would have preferred more local dishes.  

Facilities on 38th Floor

On the 38th floor they had a small fitness gym with great views of the city, and the same for the indoor swimming pool.  On that floor they also had the Cityzen restaurant which had seating indoors and outdoors to take advantage of the views. 

IMG_7152.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi speed was varying by time of day, sometimes as high as 200 Mbps and sometimes as low as 20 Mbps.  

Overall

Overall I was quite satisfied by what Sofitel had to offer: nice spacious and modern rooms, excellent Accor loyalty recognition with the junior suite upgrade, an above average breakfast, and attractive facilities with great city views.  The only thing missing was having the opportunity to try the Club Millesime, for that I will have to return.

Sofitel Mexico City Reforma = Impressive New Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Mexico City Reforma?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for this great review Escape4. Would definitely consider staying there.

Originally Posted by escape4
The Club Millesime Lounge was closed due to covid and breakfast was offered in the restaurant instead. There was a self-serve buffet plus I was allowed one item from the a la carte menu..
LOL...what a joke. You keep a lounge closed because of Covid but you have a self-service buffet for breakfast. . Were they replacing the lounge by some kind of alternate measures like giving you an extra drink voucher or arranging something at the bar for Plat/Diamond members ?
I am so tired of those non-sense BS covid excuses for non-assumed cost-cutting measures by airlines and hotels...
Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak

LOL...what a joke. You keep a lounge closed because of Covid but you have a self-service buffet for breakfast.
I am so tired of those non-sense,BS covid excuses for non-assumed cost-cutting measures by airlines and hotels...
Knowing pretty well this hotel (was the 1st customer sleeping in the Luxury Suite with terrasse after opening / and staying there every 2 to 3 months), the service is clearly excellent.
From all the Sofitel, M Gallery, Pullman... this hotel is definitely to another level. I always have a wonderful stay but I guess that being in their Top 10 client helps a lot.

The Millesime club used to be on 39th or 40th floor with an amazing view on the city. Unfortunately, it moved to 12th within Baja restaurant but self-service is new (I was there 10 days ago and there was no self-service).
39th floor is closed because it requires more personnel and there is not enough client so far ! They used to be at an occupancy rate of 50/55% when they opened end of 2019 and spent more than 6 months below 5% which had a big impact on their number of staff. I was there beginning of 2021 and when I arrived, I was the only one checking in for the entire day

Let's hope that occupancy rate is back to normal and that they reopened Club Millesime as before
Goldorak and europeflyer like this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Were they replacing the lounge by some kind of alternate measures like giving you an extra drink voucher or arranging something at the bar for Plat/Diamond members ?
Yes, to their credit they provided drinks and snacks during happy hour, but not in the lounge. Personally Club access is as much about having a private venue to hang out or do some work, which is why I would like to return when the lounge is open to see it. So their cutback was not solely centered on saving costs since they provided a reasonable alternative for guests Platinum or above. Otherwise I might have criticized the closure in my review.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

LOL...what a joke. You keep a lounge closed because of Covid but you have a self-service buffet for breakfast. . Were they replacing the lounge by some kind of alternate measures like giving you an extra drink voucher or arranging something at the bar for Plat/Diamond members ?
I am so tired of those non-sense BS covid excuses for non-assumed cost-cutting measures by airlines and hotels...
Well, they might be telling the truth, but just not the whole truth. They say it's closed because of "COVID", leaving you to assume it's due to "COVID Safety Measures" (like they're doing this for your benefit) when really, it's closed because of "COVID Low Occupancy" (which is really for their benefit), and they just don't have enough business to justify the expense of opening it. But, still technically because of "COVID".
Goldorak, escape4 and HalconBCN like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I am currently in this Sofitel and I have to say I am very impressed. I can only echo what has been said by matmatlr and escape4
Superb hotel and top notch service so far. More to come of course in a proper review
EcotoneHR and starflyergold like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.