Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Any “traitor” Accor-ist inside this group ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any “traitor” Accor-ist inside this group ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: All Diamond
Used to be Diamond Hilton but as my lifestyle is self funding found Accor Platinum choice/prices here in Australia far superior to that of Hilton and much better choice of lounges (although not necessarily better I may add ) so had to let one lapse and chose to stick with Accor
For instance we have lounges as follows what I know of
2 Brisbane
1/2 Gold Coast (Fri night managers drinks 1 hr Novotel )
4 Sydney
3 Melbourne
1 Adelaide
Not sure whether there is any other ones since the recent integration of other brands now in Accors grasp.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
I’m with mst of you based in Australia and Asia. I think for most Aussies, the easiest program to get Plat status is Accor - they have the biggest footprint - soon to be even bigger with Mantra coming into the program, which means we will have huge choice in all the major centers now, as well as most regional cities.

I tried to do Hilton Diamond doa few years back when they did their big comp, but for the price, it was only the Adelaide Hilton that could compete on most occasions - otherwise Hilton has always seemed so much more expensive than Accor.

Plus, the AccorPlus card makes prices and meals even more affordable with 10% off rooms and up to 50% off meals in APAC.

its only hard for us when we go to the US.
sycokid likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Another “plus” I see the other reward programs have is something more than Plat elite

Accor doesn’t has anything more after 60 nights (often much less by points) you achieve Plat elite.

no milestone bonus, no free night/s bonus, nothing as “Suite upgrade” or something like that

i think they should reward more on that
hotel_user likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
I mainly travel in Europe and particulary France, LCAH is my first loyalty program. I have been hilton Diamond (status match) because I needed to stay in Rotterdam, where Hilton si much better situated than the two Novotels.
I am also Nordic Choice Platinium, because there are no Accor Hotel in Norway, Finland and Sweden (except one Ibis Style).
My choice depends mainly on the location of hotels.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
There is no one program that fit all or even fit you all the time.

I was focusing on my SPG in the past 3-4 years as they gave good benefit for Platinum member and they have reasonably hotel.

I was quite fed up with Accor especially after they change the program (and only the base point count toward elites) and also with APlus.

But with the recent change with Marriott, I may reconsider Accor. I really hope Accor put the hotels in order. If Accor manages to do that I will give most of the business back to Accor.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Considering that Accor has murdered my Fairmont program and everything else it has done I feel more betrayed by the program than vice versa.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton gold and moved to Accor for no reason other than trying something different. I must be low maintenance. Never experienced any issues with either program.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Kris flyer, Sofitel
Originally Posted by Dav77
Ok, I know that to betray an hotel chain is different than to betray one’s wife ... 😃 but I feel a little bit guilty since yesterday, when I have started to join seriously Marriot reward program ...

this year i will try to keep Accor Platinum and get Marriot Platinum both (after have been undecided with Hyatt - mainly for SLH group), starting from gold membership, thanks to Amex Plat status match.

i’ sure I will be able to do it, since it means 60+50 nights per year

Basically I was tired (and annoyed in some cases) to stay in some Novotel’s or Mercure’s at some Italian cities where I travel often for business, or to don’t have any opportunity to sleep at some cities where Accor doesn’t have any property.

But also to have more opportunities to redeem free nights, especially in USA, to be able to stay sometimes at W’s or JW Marriot’s ...and to see ...how much is green the grass on the other side ...

Do any other of you loyal Accor-ists still have high tier on any other hotel chain ?

Some comments about it ?

🤗
I am extremely loyal to Accor for so many reasons. We have Sofitels in NY, PHL, DC, CHI and LA which is pretty much where we go in US. We are regulars at Legend Metropole and Saigon Plaza so are always treated the best. Not sure if we would if not Platinum but it's so easy to earn the status. We spent a week at the Metropole and a night in Saigon and are halfway there already! We also frequently visit Berlin, Munich and Vienna, at least often enough to be known and we've been to about 30 properties around the world. Now that Fairmont is there we did SF and London(The Savoy is amazing!) and will be in Seattle and Banff later in the year. Yeah the program isn't perfect but so easy to use the points!

We had status match Hilton Diamond and got lucky with Maldives villa redemption and Tokyo. It ran out so have Gold from a credit card. We're members of IHG and SPG/Marriott/Ritz Carlton but don't use them very much. I do like having a backup for places that don't have a Sofitel or Fairmont. Have had some success with M Gallery but not thinking Ibis is in our future :-)

For us, when there is a Sofitel it's almost always our choice, except Singapore and Bangkok where my wife insists on Mandarin Oriental as we have long history with those particular properties. But, this ain't about me, other than to say status is useful but relationships are everything. Most upgrades are "when available" and if you have a person you can dial direct at a hotel, it makes a world of difference as does having a GM or other manager make a call or email on your behalf.

Especially in the US, I think it's important to have backup. We usually stay in Hamptons when on a road trip so Hilton points but breakfast already included. Some other Hiltons though it's good to be at least Gold for free breakfast though it varies what they give you.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Kris flyer, Sofitel
Another “plus” I see the other reward programs have is something more than Plat elite

Accor doesn’t has anything more after 60 nights (often much less by points) you achieve Plat elite.

no milestone bonus, no free night/s bonus, nothing as “Suite upgrade” or something like that

i think they should reward more on that
I agree selfishly as we got nearly triple the necessary points last year.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Just a first impression on Marriot compared with Accor rewards, after 7 stays

-points/extra points/bonus points credited always after 24 hours from check out.

-App always works without any problem/bug

-received upgrade at next category room on 5/7 stays (actually Marriot Gold, running for Plat challenge- 16 nights in 3 months)

-no welcome drink policy at Marriotts

-higher quality at AC Hotels/Four Points by Sheraton/Courtyards/Moxys than at Novotel’s in Italy (same price level) on most of stays
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Just a first impression on Marriot compared with Accor rewards, after 7 stays

-points/extra points/bonus points credited always after 24 hours from check out.

-App always works without any problem/bug

-received upgrade at next category room on 5/7 stays (actually Marriot Gold, running for Plat challenge- 16 nights in 3 months)

-no welcome drink policy at Marriotts

-higher quality at AC Hotels/Four Points by Sheraton/Courtyards/Moxys than at Novotel’s in Italy (same price level) on most of stays
Upgrade wise, my experience was 18 upgrades out of 19 stays for Marriott with majority was upgrade to suites ... and for Accor 6 upgrades out of 9 stays.

And for hotel quality, I agree, Four points, Courtyards and Moxies sometimes even better than Mercures/ Novotels
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7
And for hotel quality, I agree, Four points, Courtyards and Moxies sometimes even better than Mercures/ Novotels
AC hotels are usually great too in my experience.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Haven't try AC hotel yet .... will try them in the future
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Haven't try AC hotel yet .... will try them in the future
rooms are smaller than at Novotels and I have felt less acoustic insulation from the door.

Except that, common areas, furnitures and everything is much more modern and higher quality at AC hotels in Italy. Including restaurant and breakfast

Can’t compare in other countries at the moment

please consider there is the Atlantic Ocean between novotels in Italy and Novotels in Asia ....
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Diamond, IHG, HYATT, UA, AA
I am a long term Marriott Reward member (3000 nights), live mostly in Malaysia/China. I have tried all five chains from US, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, IHG, and Hilton. Here is my 2 cents:
(1) Marriott Reward is the best program for top tier elite from location availability, suite upgrade, free lounge access and free breakfast buffet stand point. I received suite upgrade more than 90 percent of the time at Marriott/SPG. SPG was initially my backup plan. Most Marriott hotels in Asia even the Courtyards have executive lounges. I don't have high requirements for food, so free food and alcohol at the lounge is fine with me.
(2) Recent years, I stay quite a bit with Hilton(Hilton Diamond), my new backup plan. The disadvantage of Hilton is that there is no redemption chart, properties at peak time can increase redemption points drastically. Also, Hilton points are less valuable than Marriott points(see TPG valuation), hotels at Hilton cost more points for redemption in general comparing to Marriott. That said, Hilton has put in an effort to increase point accumulation rate for its members in recent years. Currently, point accumulation at Hilton is the fastest.
(3) Not enough Hyatt around. IHG is not very consistent in my view.
(4) In general, you are much better off spending your money or points in Asia in these hotels rather than spending them in US or Europe.

I know Accor has good coverage in Asia. Will give it a try if top tier elites can get suite upgrade, lounge access and breakfast buffet. I am still doing my home work on Accor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.