Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Ibis Tokyo Shinjuku

Anyone been at this hotel in the last few years and can report on it ?

Official hotel website link:
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...ku/index.shtml
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Anyone been at this hotel in the last few years and can report on it ?

Official hotel website link:
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...ku/index.shtml
Stayed there twice last year, and will stay there again in a week's time. Overall one of the nicest Ibis hotels I've been to. Very small rooms (as is pretty much to be expected in Tokyo) but well equipped, and the location really can't be beat (right by Shinjuku station!). Very nice staff as well, they actually let me store one of my bags in the hotel for 14 days between my two stays so I wouldn't have to lug it back and forth to Kyoto. Breakfast was well above (European) Ibis standard as well. And it's the only Ibis I have ever gotten a proper welcome gift in as a Platinum member - some kind of traditional Japanese cloth.

All in all, absolutely excellent value for money in a prime Tokyo location!
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nander
Stayed there twice last year, and will stay there again in a week's time. Overall one of the nicest Ibis hotels I've been to. Very small rooms (as is pretty much to be expected in Tokyo) but well equipped, and the location really can't be beat (right by Shinjuku station!). Very nice staff as well, they actually let me store one of my bags in the hotel for 14 days between my two stays so I wouldn't have to lug it back and forth to Kyoto. Breakfast was well above (European) Ibis standard as well. And it's the only Ibis I have ever gotten a proper welcome gift in as a Platinum member - some kind of traditional Japanese cloth.

All in all, absolutely excellent value for money in a prime Tokyo location!

Thank you for the detailed answer.
After reading that, I will definitely try it out when I'm in Tokyo.
Can you remember if the windows in the hotel can be opened for fresh air ? (even partially ?)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Thank you for the detailed answer.
After reading that, I will definitely try it out when I'm in Tokyo.
Can you remember if the windows in the hotel can be opened for fresh air ? (even partially ?)
Unfortunately I can't remember (don't think I opened the window). But I'm happy to report back in 3 days when I'll be in the hotel!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nander
Unfortunately I can't remember (don't think I opened the window). But I'm happy to report back in 3 days when I'll be in the hotel!

Yes, that would be helpful, as I really don't like hotel rooms that have windows you can't open at all...so it's good to know in advance.
Thank you.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:49 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I second that this is a great place to stay in Tokyo, I stayed there last summer and will be there next summer as well. Great staff, location, overall good value. 99% sure you can crack the window open.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Le Club Accor Gold
I was in this hotel last year and I confirm that it was a good surprise. The rooms are very small (for those who are accustomed to European standards) but have many small "extras" that are not found in Europe. Here are some photos I took during my stay:

IMG-5810 IMG-5811 IMG-5813 IMG-5814 IMG-5815 IMG-5818
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Dinasty Flyer, Accor Platinum, Swissotel Eleva
I stayed 3 nights in December for a pleasure trip and the stay was very comfortable. As Accor Platinum the breakfast was included and it was good. Staff was helpful.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

There is a coin laundry on the 3rd floor with 2 washing machines and 2 dryers.
300JPY for washing (no extra detergent needed) and 200JPY for drying.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

When arriving at Shinjuku station with the overgound rail (JR) lines take the WEST exit, then go up a flight of stairs (exit 1) to get back onto ground/street level, and then walk for about 5 minutes. This ibis is located on a large main road and has a big red sign.

The normal metro lines have 2 exits much closer to the ibis than the main train (JR) station, so I recommend arriving by metro if you can. Metro exit D4 is just on the opposite side of the road as the ibis, and metro exit D5 is on a road around the corner from the ibis. For the 1st arrival (if you've never been there) you're much more likely to see the hotel if you come out of exit D4 and look across the road. However, these 2 exits may actually be at "Shinjuku-Nishiguchi Station" (as the sign outside says station number E01 and M08). I couldn't figure out if they are linked undergrpound to Shinjuku main station. I'm assuming they are.

Last edited by est-gratuite; May 6, 2019 at 7:15 am
Old May 11, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Booked single room and was upgraded as a platinum to a triple room with 3 beds. (It was bigger than the single room for sure, but I had no use for 3 beds).

Also, despite it being a triple room, it still had a very small pod like bathroom which was raised quite a bit off the floor (high step) and a very strange bathtub (oval wide shape with very high sides but short overall....only a child would be able to sit in it.) The bathtub shared the same faucet with the bathtub(you moved it back and forth between the two). Towels very thin and didn't dry me very well.

I could open the window for fresh air but could NOT see out of it as the glass was non see through/frosted. I suspect it looked out into some kind of inner courtyard which had lights that never went out, so had to close the curtain for sleeping. There was sometimes loud talking from this inner courtyard which disrupted my sleep. Next time will ask for a room facing the street so I can at least have a view.

As a platinum got vouchers for a free drink and a free dessert and late check-out. Also got free breakfast.

The staff at breakfast seemed really overworked. They were running back and forth replacing things as fast as they could, but many tables were dirty with used plates left on them, and various food items were missing. Not a good look at all. The selection was so-so.

On a general basis, you really need to do your homework with the nightly rates at this hotel. I've seen rates as all the way from 8000JPY per night all the way to 30,000JPY which is insane for an ibis. Be very careful of the price when booking and compare it to other hotels in tokyo in the same category. Realise that this is a 2 to 3 star hotel at best, and only book it if the price is low and the location suits your needs. Any price over 15,000JPY per night is not worth it in my opinion unless you really need to be the Shinjuku station area.
wyskevin likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; May 11, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:13 am
Original Poster

So I have stayed here a few more times and have noticed that MANY of
the rooms have fully frosted windows (even some of those facing the
street). You can't see through them at all.

There are rooms with normal glass windows, but they seem to be in the
minority and it seems to be pure random what type you will get.

This is a deal breaker for me...a hotel with windows you can't see
through is awful. Don't think I will be coming here very that often
anymore.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:03 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can now understand why many love this property, lots of extras for an Ibis! The breakfast is of a very high quality and the burger place on the ground floor incredible value, I would almost be happy to take an internal room with its frosted windows which shade the fact they overlook the passageway.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
I can now understand why many love this property, lots of extras for an Ibis! The breakfast is of a very high quality and the burger place on the ground floor incredible value, I would almost be happy to take an internal room with its frosted windows which shade the fact they overlook the passageway.

Many of the external facing rooms also have frosted windows. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Really unpleasant.

The breakfast is only of a high quality, only if you compare it to ibis hotels outside asia....for Japan it's pretty average for that category hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:40 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Many of the external facing rooms also have frosted windows. Not all of them, but a lot of them. Really unpleasant.
None of the rear external windows on any floor were frosted, maybe that’s the tip, ask for a x01-10 room on any given floor if it bothers you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.