Review Novotel Toronto Centre

Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:17 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Review Novotel Toronto Centre

Novotel Toronto Centre

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Novotel Toronto Centre

45 The Esplanade Toronto, ON CA M5E1W2

Review Novotel Toronto Centre (7 Photos)

Novotel Toronto Centre

I stayed there for 1 night. Booked Executive room and was upgraded to Signature suite (next category). What a name for something very average...

The central location of the hotel is convenient if you want to stay downtown.

Check In

Two days prior to my stay, I received an e-mail for e-standby upgrades proposing me an upgrade for free to the junior suite (platinum upgrade). I followed the process and received instantly a confirmation that my demand was taken into account and that it will be confirmed at check-in whether my upgrade was granted or not. The upgrade was indeed granted, but not a word was said by the clerk at check-in outside "you are staying with us for 1 night, right ?" and "your room is number XXX, and the lifts are on the left". So very robotic, "minimum syndical" as we say in French. You discover if you are upgraded or not opening your room door.

Room

The room was on the 2nd floor, where the meeting rooms are. Corridors give the feeling of an average hotel (dated). Same for the room : they call that a"suite" because there is a kind of small "corner" at the entrance of the room where they have put a table and 3 armchairs, but this is not a separate room. Fivemin after I arrived, they bring in my room a bottle of water and a small cake + an envelope containing a welcome message from the GM and the drink voucher.

IMG_8500.JPG

IMG_8499.JPG

The room was very dark because you are just under the top of some arcades on the street (see picture). So it was OK for one night, but I wouldn't stay in such a room for several days. On top of that, very poor soundproofing inside (I heard very well at 6 am the neighbour taking his/her shower) and outside (street noise). There is a Nespresso machine in room. Bathroom was the best part of the room !

 

 

 

Dining

The bar/restaurant area is pleasant and the barman was very nice. Drink voucher can be used for soft drinks, beer and wine. I took a glass of wine and he made me choose among their full list of wines-by-the-glass of their regular menu.

Overall

Overall, an averagestay, witha lot of room for improvement. And the weaknesses of the building and the hotel design will be hard to solve, even after a renovation.

Review Novotel Toronto Centre

Would you like to write a review on the Novotel Toronto Centre?

No, thank you.
Yes
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:11 pm
  #2  
IMH
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Posts: 5,447
Thanks. I'm booked to stay here for four nights later this year and am now starting to hope that the FRHI properties are integrated into LCAH sooner rather than later...
IMH is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:03 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks. I'm booked to stay here for four nights later this year and am now starting to hope that the FRHI properties are integrated into LCAH sooner rather than later...
I hope for you indeed.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:30 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: YYG
Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Posts: 441
You got a drink voucher? I just got a piccolo bottle of Henckell-Trocken when I stayed there this summer!
islandcub1 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:59 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Originally Posted by islandcub1
You got a drink voucher? I just got a piccolo bottle of Henckell-Trocken when I stayed there this summer!
Yes, classical drink voucher. They bring me a bottle of water in room and not a bottle of Henckell-Trocken (I admit I didn't know what it was, so I googled it ).
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:43 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Follow-up : after the stay I reported here (mid-January), I received the usual satisfaction survey which I filled immediately. Never got any answer/feed-back until tonight when I received an e-mail with a kind of copy & paste answers / apologies. Three months after completing the survey, WOW
Goldorak is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:05 pm
  #7  
IMH
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Posts: 5,447
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I received the usual satisfaction survey which I filled immediately. Never got any answer/feed-back until tonight
The positive spin would be that at least now someone has read and (sort of) responded to your comments... But it really is very poor that it took so long.
IMH is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:09 pm
  #8  
IMH
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Posts: 5,447
We stayed here for five nights this week. Following Goldorak's review our expectations were not high, so we weren't surprised to find that this is a rather disappointing property or to conclude that we wouldn't return.

We made an unrestricted booking several months in advance, expecting to rebook at some stage to secure a lower rate (or, after Goldorak's report, stay elsewhere). That didn't happen, as a very large conference (Microsoft WPC) brought 15,000+ people to Toronto during our stay. This meant that the hotel was genuinely sold out and no upgrades were to be had.

The lobby area and lifts are clean, fresh and modern. Everything else was identikit 1980s North American chain hotel, including chipped paint in unattractive shades of pink, peach and beige. Nothing about the property said "Novotel"; in fact even as a Mercure it would have seemed overbadged. The 2cm gap at the bottom of the door needed to be blocked off with a towel to try to exclude noise, light and cold air.

Platinum acknowledgement: a bottle of water, a voucher for a single drink, two fluorescent cup cakes that we didn't touch.
IMH is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:58 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Originally Posted by IMH
The lobby area and lifts are clean, fresh and modern. Everything else was identikit 1980s North American chain hotel, including chipped paint in unattractive shades of pink, peach and beige. Nothing about the property said "Novotel"; in fact even as a Mercure it would have seemed overbadged. The 2cm gap at the bottom of the door needed to be blocked off with a towel to try to exclude noise, light and cold air.

Platinum acknowledgement: a bottle of water, a voucher for a single drink, two fluorescent cup cakes that we didn't touch.
Thanks for the quick review. Seems that nothing changed. I won't return too.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:41 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bern, Swiss-o-land
Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Posts: 791
Issue at Novotel Toronto Centre

I was given a room without a shower tray in the walk-in shower. I called to the front desk and an engineer was sent up to the room. He told me that the room was newly renovated and all of the new rooms no longer have shower trays to hold bars of soap and shampoo. When I asked him if it was intended for the soap to stay on the shower floor, he replied that he did not know.

I went down and spoke to the hotel GM and was told that I was given a "mock room" that was not yet fully completed. The GM told me that the shower tray should be in all rooms.

Is this really the right room to give to an elite member?

Last edited by Gigantor; Jun 8, 2017 at 10:02 am
Gigantor is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:48 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Indeed a non-sense. But I'm not surprised knowing my own experience in this hotel in 2016. God to know that they are renovating but I will likely not return.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...to-centre.html
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KNO, ID
Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Posts: 613
Originally Posted by Gigantor

I went down and spoke to the hotel GM and was told that I was given a "mock room" that was not yet fully completed.

Is this really the right room to give to an elite member?
Wow, I guess it's an honor for elite member to have PRE-ACCESS on anything; including mock room. Sorry for the jokes.

Anyway, some of the Accor properties need room for improvement; unfortunately some of them didn't have space for it.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Indeed a non-sense. But I'm not surprised knowing my own experience in this hotel in 2016. God to know that they are renovating but I will likely not return.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...to-centre.html
I like the way you reviewed it, especially the "Bathroom was the best part of the room" part. I guess it's not a compliment, right ?
virtualaris is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:20 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 21,890
Originally Posted by virtualaris
I like the way you reviewed it, especially the "Bathroom was the best part of the room" part. I guess it's not a compliment, right ?
Correct !
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:32 pm
  #14  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Indeed a non-sense. But I'm not surprised knowing my own experience in this hotel in 2016. God to know that they are renovating but I will likely not return.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...to-centre.html
blast from the past! terrible windows too.

but wait till you stay in Mercure Ginza Tokyo. Haha
cowism is offline  
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Posts: 3,825
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I was given a room without a shower tray in the walk-in shower. I called to the front desk and an engineer was sent up to the room. He told me that the room was newly renovated and all of the new rooms no longer have shower trays to hold bars of soap and shampoo. When I asked him if it was intended for the soap to stay on the shower floor, he replied that he did not know.

I went down and spoke to the hotel GM and was told that I was given a "mock room" that was not yet fully completed. The GM told me that the shower tray should be in all rooms.

Is this really the right room to give to an elite member?


yes, coz they gave you newly renovated room. you should be happy
lingua101 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.