Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum
So, I stayed here for four nights in late July. Ugh, where do I start? If there's any luxury to be found in this hotel, I for one didn't find it. I found the service really lacking and the hotel just looks barren. It looks like it's about to close, which I guess is the case. The lobby looks very plain, with just a few uninviting chairs, no hint of luxury anywhere. Might as well be a Mercure. No valet, no luggage service ("due to coronavirus"). Wellness area closed, the gym is open, however, I didn't use it.

Check-in took forever. Even though I had checked-in online, they still took both our passports and entered all the details into the computer, "due to coronavirus". I booked a Luxury room, which was upgraded to a Luxury Premium room on the 8th floor. The room is supposed to have been renovated, but looks old-fashioned to me. And neglected, with weeds growing outside the window. I'm not a fan of those designer lamps either.

The room was completely empty, because of coronavirus: no cosmetic set, no toothbrush etc., no clothes brush, no shoe cleaning sponge/spoon, no sewing kit, no iron board/iron, no pencil and notepad, minibar empty, bathroom empty (except the Lanvin toiletries, which weren't replaced daily, by the way, and body lotion was never replaced.) I had to go to reception for every single thing. And that was a surreal experience: when I asked for a cosmetic set, I was asked to specify the items I wanted. When I said I wanted Q-tips, I was then asked: "One or two?" (!) It made me feel like a beggar or like I'm stealing something from the hotel.
(The welcome letter also said that there would be a bottle of disinfection gel and a face mask in the room - they weren't. By the way, masks must be worn in all public areas in the hotel.)

I got the impression that all these measures have less to do with the coronavirus and more with the hotel trying to cut costs. (After all, in SO Vienna all of the above mentioned items were in the room and the minibar was full. If there is a remote control in the room, why shouldn't there be bottles in the minibar? How is that more dangerous? I don't get it.) The bathrobe was simply a disgrace, not at all fluffy but like sandpaper. Very cheap, something I wouldn't expect in a Sofitel.

Housekeeping wasn't good either. I had to call reception every day because they forgot something. They took away our teaspoons and didn't replace them. They didn't replace teabags or leave coffee creamer. Every day it was something.

Welcome amenity was a box of peanuts, a Coke and an orange juice. Welcome drink voucher was good for a glass of wine, a beer or a soft drink. Is this is a Sofitel or an Ibis?

Breakfast is a la carte and costs 20 EUR, but I didn't have it.

However, to end on a good note: the bed is truly incredible! I don't think I've ever slept better in my whole life! And I liked the bathroom. Almost everything else was disappointing. I for one won't be shedding tears over the hotel if it closes. As it is, I can't find any value for money in it. I don't know, maybe Goldorak will have a better experience in September, but I was terribly disappointed.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by EcotoneHR
I don't know, maybe Goldorak will have a better experience in September, but I was terribly disappointed.
Thanks for the report. Doesn’t look too promising
After reading the bankruptcy announcement here, I made another booking by precaution in another hotel (25hours) and I will cancel one when getting closer to the stay date. I don’t know if the Sofitel will be still in business in September, but even if the case, reading you I have no more envy to stay there...
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)

I got the impression that all these measures have less to do with the coronavirus and more with the hotel trying to cut costs. (After all, in SO Vienna all of the above mentioned items were in the room and the minibar was full. If there is a remote control in the room, why shouldn't there be bottles in the minibar? How is that more dangerous? I don't get it.)

Vienna is in Austria. This Sofitel is Germany.
They are 2 different countries and each country in Europe has different rules regarding the virus.
Hotels in Austria in general seem more relaxed with virus restrictions than Germany at the moment.
I was in both countries myself last month and noticed the difference.

But you may be right....the Sofitel in Berlin may just be penny pinching before they close for good.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Vienna is in Austria. This Sofitel is Germany.
They are 2 different countries and each country in Europe has different rules regarding the virus.
Hotels in Austria in general seem more relaxed with virus restrictions than Germany at the moment.
I was in both countries myself last month and noticed the difference.

But you may be right....the Sofitel in Berlin may just be penny pinching before they close for good.
I was in the 25hours Munich recently and there were many items/amenities in the room. And mini bar was stocked But there could be some regional guidelines on top of the national ones.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:44 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Traveling is confusing for the time being. In Germany alone, measures to prevent coronavirus vary from region to region. For example, in Munich, hotel spas have been opened since June 22 while in Berlin they remain closed.

Measures against the coronavirus at hotels in Berlin:
”Hotels […] may offer overnight stays to tourists. However, saunas, steam baths, and similar facilities must remain closed in spa and wellness areas. Dry saunas (where no water is poured over heated rocks) may open again. It is mandatory that documentation of visits is maintained. Such records must include the name, address, telephone number, time and duration of visit, and room numbers of the guests. Operators must also draw up a safety and hygiene plan. Visible notices must be posted to make guests aware of the social distancing and hygiene rules.”

Personally, I wouldn’t expect much from a hotel that might close in a few weeks. Another question is if it’s acceptable to sell luxury accommodation and not to offer it.

I, too, would like to know how empty minibar or missing pen and notepad are preventing the coronavirus.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Although I'm no fan of this Sofitel the demise will leave the premium end of Accor very thin on the ground around the zoo.

Losing the Swissotel was not good and I would rather have seen the Sofitel go then, it never seemed upgraded from the old Concord which was three star at best.

Then there is the makeover from hell at the Pullman which now looks like a run down bordello rather than the rather pristine establishment it used to be.
lhrpete and starflyergold like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
OT but the Pullman has indeed had the makeover from hell.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Hotel is still open and accepting reservations on the accor website all the way into next year.

I thought it was closing in August 2020 due to bankruptcy ?
Was it saved last minute or situation is still unclear ?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:40 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Hotel is still open and accepting reservations on the accor website all the way into next year.

I thought it was closing in August 2020 due to bankruptcy ?
Was it saved last minute or situation is still unclear ?
The insolvency procedure has started which most likely lead to a work out with creditors. In the meanwhile it continues to operate.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

The Sofitel is no longer listed as having a lounge on Accor site.
The hotel is still bookable, but there is no rate with lounge access. I am guessing they closed the lounge
Knowing this + the recent very bad report of EcotoneHR, I will cancel my september stay and will stay elsewhere.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I would never tell anyone what to do, but I think this is a wise choice, Goldorak. As it is, it's simply a waste of money, I'm afraid. You might as well stay in a Mercure then.
Will you be staying at the 25hours hotel? Looking forward to your review!
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Will you be staying at the 25hours hotel? Looking forward to your review!
Yes I will (unless I cannot manage to get tested for Covid and have results on time following to the new German requirements for arrivals from Paris ).
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I walked by the hotel yesterday. Hotel was open but the immense lobby was ghost town. Sad
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Sofitel becomes Dorint

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/10/23/...ecomes-dorint/
IMH and starflyergold like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:11 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Interesting. In the distant past Dorint and Sofitel cooperated in Germany and the Netherlands. Some of these became just Sofitels (the old fashioned type) when the two parted compan and later rebranded as MGallery or Pullmansy, some reverted to just Dorint properties.

Accor now lost two Sofitels and has none left in Berlin. Only the totally overpriced So/Das Stue remains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.