Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread: ex-Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm [no longer part of Accor]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:58 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by tboons
they have 40% sales with breakfast at 159 euros/night. worth the price? just for that one night? i was looking through the pictures and the hotel does not look luxurious enough and no swimming pool available... thought i heard the breakfast is fantastic?

option would be hotel indigo, and hampton inn berlin, all in the same area but at half the price...
For that price you should get an executive room with lounge access. Breakfast is good (generally the case in Germany) but not fantastic. It is a very good hotel and well located (but yes there are some issues still to be ironed out)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:31 pm

Only paying that for a luxury room. It's a super peak weekend. Thought as a plati should expect an upgrade?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
If it's a 'super peak' weekend they may tell you they are full so no upgrade but you should still get lounge access as a Plat.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:17 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
It's a nice hotel but not really up to Sofitel standards and thus not a pure Sofitel experience. If you are platinum and dare to try this property, contact GM and request a lounge access. I did that and he promised the lounge access for us. Otherwise, the access will probably be denied at check-in – unless you book a room that comes with the lounge access. I liked our stay in February enough that I decided to book another stay for December. Just give it a try so you know. Rates are usually very good.
I promised to report back after my second stay so here we go:

My partner and I have an yearly tradition to visit different European Christmas markets. This year, we headed to Berlin and decided to give a second try to the Sofitel Berlin Kurfurstendamm. We only stayed over the weekend, so just for two nights. We wished we could have stayed longer.

Check-in
We arrived to the hotel from Tegel airport by bus number 109. The ride took about 30 minutes and a bus stop in the Kurfurstendamm was within five minutes walk from the hotel. The location was perfectly connected with S-bahn, U-bahn and buses. The nearest stations, Kurfurstendamm and Zoologischer Garten, were in a walking distance. From there one could take either S-bahn or U-bahn to basically anywhere in Berlin.
The reception and lobby lounge were pretty empty at 10am when we arrived. I had completed the online check-in two days before and received by email a confirmation stating that our room keys would be ready in the front desk when we arrive.
We didn't need to wait for more than a few minutes before a jolly front desk agent was ready to help us. I handed over my Platinum card just to be told that the loyal customer card wasn't necessary to show since it was in their system already. She didn't thank us for our loyalty but claimed she remember my name and welcomed us back. Then she asked us to show our passports. I gave them to her and asked what was the purpose to check-in online if we needed to repeat the same procedure here again. She said: "I know, it doesn't make cense. I don't know what's the point."
She gave our keys and offered two welcome drink vouchers which we were able to use in a lobby bar for a glass of wine selected by a sommelier. There were few options for red, white and sparkling wines. Also beers and soft drinks could be redeemed against the vouchers. We chose some excellent Riesling.
I had booked a superior room and asked about the upgrade since the receptionist didn't mention it. She said we have been given one level upgrade to a lovely luxury room. I was happy with that and asked my next question: the lounge access. It was given without hesitation but we were warned that the lounge is very small and it might get loud there. I had actually contacted the general manager, Mr. Carsten Colmorgen already a few months before our stay and he originally granted the access for us. He also told me in his email that they were actively looking for a solution to the capacity problem of lounge. It only has 25 seats but during our stay it was mostly empty and very peaceful place to enjoy good food, drinks and company. They should, however, expand it or move it to other location if it really gets crowded easily.

Room
I don't usually buy it if a front desk agent says that he or she will give his or her favourite room to us. I didn't do so this time either – before I saw the room. It indeed was very nice: not that big but it had a huge amount of windows, more than ten, that gave views to three different direction. We were able to admire the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and the rooftop of KaDeWe, for example.
The room came with king-sized bed, writing desk, flat-screen TV, Nespresso machine with six coffee capsules, safe, wardrobe, and one armchair with side table. It had neither tea nor Bose audio system that can be found in most of other Sofitel hotels. Also the bed wasn't typical MyBed. Only the top mattress, featherbed, was from MyBed collection. We didn't find the bed the most comfortable one and didn't slept perfectly which is of course sad because the bed is supposed to be the most important thing in a hotel. But: we might be too critical. It's always a matter of taste. Some likes firmer bed than others and we really are truly MyBed fans since we have one at home, too.
Bathroom had separated bathtub and walk-in shower, plus "his and her" sinks in front of a giant mirrow. Bath products – shampoo, shower gel, hair conditioner, body lotion, and bar soap – were from Lanvin's collection and they were replaced regularly. Once a maid brought Hermés set, though.
A bottle of mineral water (750 ml) were waiting for us on of the bed side table. Unfortunately, the water wasn't replaced after we drank it. On the other hand, we were able to pick up water bottles from the lounge freely. Turndown service was done in both evenings.

Service
The service was good, especially in the lounge. The staff there were very attentive and active. When it was time to thank you and say good buy, the lovely lounge attendant said: "It was a pleasure to have you here as our guest." Small things that makes you happy and smile. Nothing was too much asked during our short stay here. Tooth brushes and shaving kits were sent to our room quickly after we requested them.

Lounge
This time, we only ate in the lounge. We had booked a rate without breakfast as usual and we were able to enjoy it in the lounge. However, we weren't given a choice of having the breakfast in the main restaurant. No big deal but a little bit weird. This is the first hotel where the breakfast is strickly offered only in the lounge unless one has paid for the it.
The selection was pretty basic and certainly enough. It included, for example, five different cold cuts, two type of cheeses, pickled vegetables, fresh cucumbers, marinated cherry tomatoes, olives, salads, home made pesto, three different gravlax with dill and mustard sauce, wide selection of bread rolls, fresh croissants, jams, pain au chocolats, danishes, fresh fruits, cereals, muesli, youghurts, smoothies, three fresh juices, creamy scrambled eggs (the best one I have eaten to be honest), crispy bacon... All high quality. During the weekend, the breakfast is served until 2pm!
Afternoon tea around 3pm was a small let down. They only had one chocolate mousse cake and cookies to choose from. But tea selection was very good.
Cocktail hours from 6pm to 9pm then was good again: average white wine, red one, and sparkling wine were on offer, also a full help-yourself-bar. Snacks included cheeses (Brie, Camembert and some kind of green pepper cheese) with spicy jam, five different high quality canapés, salted cashews, smoked almonds, and few desserts. Very well done!

Platinum recognition
To sum it up, we did receive:
* Early check-in at 10am
* Welcome drink vouchers for two, good for specially selected wines
* Upgrade from superior to luxury room
* Full lounge access
* Welcome letter from general manager in the room
* Fruit platter as a VIP treatment (this was disappointing: it had boring apple, mandarin, and plum)
* Newspaper delivered to room
* Late check-out at 4pm (left the lounge just before 5pm)

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Dec 8, 2015 at 7:25 am Reason: Corrected some typos
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for this nice review
Looks all good ^
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks for this nice review
Looks all good ^
Except my many typos (working hard to correct them). Thanks for the feedback.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
I had actually contacted the general manager, Mr. Carsten Colmorgen already a few months before our stay and he originally granted the access for us. He also told me in his email that they were actively looking for a solution to the capacity problem of lounge. It only has 25 seats but during our stay it was mostly empty and very peaceful place to enjoy good food, drinks and company. They should, however, expand it or move it to other location if it really gets crowded easily.
Just came to my mind that one option to solve the capacity problem of lounge would be to offer free breakfast and happy hour drinks (selected wines for example) in the lobby bar for Platinums. What do you think?
Old May 2, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
booked a sale rate for 100 EUR, managed to score a corner suite, and club lounge access
(Accor platinum)

lounge dinner is good quality, but food quantity very limited

also got a drink voucher, & apple, mandarin, and plum in the room and late checkout offer 2pm.

but had a private gym, Spa, Sauna during my stay as being the only guest there.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review of Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm

Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Augsburger Str. 41 Berlin, DE 10789

Review of Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm (20 Photos)

IMG_1221.JPG

Having to go to Berlin, I decided to try this Sofitel because of the existence of a club lounge. I was aware, thanks to the review on our favorite forum, of the uncertainties regarding lounge access (due to its small size, platinum members are sometimes refused access), so I knew that there were some « risks ».

Between the booking and my stay, wkndtraveler made a review and informed us about the lounge renovation (to have a larger one) and that there was a temporary lounge available during that period. wkndtraveler kindly advised me to contact proactively some key staff at the hotel to prevent some problems for lounge access, which I did. Here is the response I received :

Dear Mr Goldorak,

Thank you for your Email. We are delighted to welcome you here as a Platinum Member. According to the Le Club Accothotels guidelines the access to the lounge is subject to availability on the day of arrival. For this time the lounge is already fully booked. As a courtesy we will include the breakfast in our restaurant Saint Germain for you as your rate was booked without breakfast.

Mr Goldorak, please be ensured that we do not deny the access on purpose but to guarantee the high level of service we are not able to overbook the lounge. We will do our best to make your stay most comfortable.

For any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Being of course disappointed, I tried to push them arguing with the fact I would use the lounge only one evening (this was a 2 night stay but I was checking-in too late to benefit from the lounge the 1st evening). 2nd response received :

Dear Mr Goldorak,

Thank you for your answer. I understand your disappointment but unfortunately we are absolutely fully booked. As an addition to the complimentary breakfast we will provide four welcome drink voucher instead of two which you can use in the bar. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further questions.

To be honest, I really had mixed feelings about all this. Of course, I cannot complain as they gave me 4 drink vouchers and free BF but the fact I had to write 2 e-mails to have this left me a kind of bitter taste in the mouth (I’m sure none of that would have been provided spontaneously). Also, wkndtraveler explained us in his last review that they installed a temporary lounge in some meeting rooms, during the renovation work of the main lounge renovation. So why don’t they made this temporary lounge in a large enough room to accomodate the platinum members ? I might be completely wrong, but I have the feeling that lounge access will still be problematic in the future (just my gut feeling).

Check In

Check-in was efficient without good or bad surprise. The 4 drink vouchers and free BF were confirmed (as well as the no access to club lounge due to fully booked hotel). For the same reason, no room upgrade (but, as usual, not a word about this from front desk staff – you guess from the room description and pictures on the web site…). Here are pictures of the lobby:

IMG_1154.JPGIMG_1155.JPG

Room

Nothing to complain about the room. It was a pleasant one. Bathrobe, slippers, Nespresso machine, safe box, etc. Very quiet, which is someting I appreciate particularly. A plate with some fruits and a bottle of water were in room as VIP treatment.

IMG_1222.JPGIMG_1223.JPGIMG_1224.JPGIMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1137.JPGIMG_1138.JPGIMG_1130.JPGIMG_1135.JPGIMG_1132.JPGIMG_1136.JPG

Dining

The bar was also pleasant and staff efficient. No restriction about the drink voucher.

The BF room is very large with large windows. And the buffet was really superb and excellent. 

IMG_1139.JPGIMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPGIMG_1145.JPGIMG_1146.JPGIMG_1147.JPGIMG_1148.JPG

Overall

Overall, a nice hotel and they treated me rather well, but LCAH Elite treatment remains challenging and requires significant efforts…

Review of Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Berlin Kurfürstendamm?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:20 pm

Sometimes I felt like a benefit beggar in several Accor properties. They already have SOP for LCAH scheme and many times they chose to overlook it. So what is the meaning of the loyalty program ? Begging arena ?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:44 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks for all the pictures Goldorak

Was the hotel full / was it still possible to book club floor rooms? If it was still possible to, then the "no capacity" excuse wouldn't hold. I'm sure they cant stop a Club floor guest from using the lounge...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Thanks for all the pictures Goldorak

Was the hotel full / was it still possible to book club floor rooms? If it was still possible to, then the "no capacity" excuse wouldn't hold. I'm sure they cant stop a Club floor guest from using the lounge...
When I had those e-mail exchanges with the hotel, there was indeed no more club room bookable, but non-club room were still bookable. And then the hotel was full at the time of my stay.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
When I had those e-mail exchanges with the hotel, there was indeed no more club room bookable, but non-club room were still bookable. And then the hotel was full at the time of my stay.
This sounds an improvement....
This hotel has been in my avoid list since Dec 2014...they were still selling club room and offering eStandby upgrade when they denied me the club access.

Last edited by loyaltypointschaser; Oct 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:23 pm

Stayed once again here and wrote a short report:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27733160-post7.html

Here are a few pictures from refurbished lounge:
Attached Images        
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:11 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I have a stay there next week. Is there still limitation of lounge access for Platinium member ? How is the breakfast spread in the lounge ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.